National day of prayer under fire again

txlonghorn

Mar 9, 2009
A Wisconsin district judge, Barbara Crabb, who is retiring, ruled that the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional today....

Fantastic!!! Good for her! I'm sure she worked hard on this. Must have required a bit of learning about what the Constitution says about seperation of church and state and all that rubbish...

Of course, prayer isn't really an institution of the church as much as it is a personal practice. So, it's really just a move to appease the anti-religious crowd. She is careful to tip-toe around the issue to try to sound as though she's only concerned with the law side of it. But why wait until your about to retire to get all concerned about the law??

Kinda makes me wonder if she's willing to take a crack at the government requiring all Americans to purchase a product from a private business??

Of course, prayer isn't really an institution of the church as much as it is a personal practice.

If it's a personal practice why should the state be involved?

I agree with this sentiment but I think to many people on the left assume a secular state means a secular society because their anti-religious rants are not only directed at issues of church and state but also a person's own free expression of religion. Just look at how much they have a fit when we point out how religious the founders were in this country. Its not an endorsement of a religion but a historical fact that should not be barred from any HISTORY text book.

I pray every day and so far it seems to be working for me. There hasn't been a day yet that the sun hasn't risen. Now, if I could just get an answer about those lottery numbers...

Just kidding. I do pray every day and if it's your belief I urge you to do the same. It appears that our country could use some good answered prayer these days.

Of course, prayer isn't really an institution of the church as much as it is a personal practice.

Communion with god is always a personal matter. A national day for it is the State infringing on that

If it's a personal practice why should the state be involved?

I agree with this sentiment but I think to many people on the left assume a secular state means a secular society because their anti-religious rants are not only directed at issues of church and state but also a person's own free expression of religion. Just look at how much they have a fit when we point out how religious the founders were in this country. Its not an endorsement of a religion but a historical fact that should not be barred from any HISTORY text book.

It depends. I'm not anti-religious, because I'm deeply religious myself. However, my religious beliefs conflict with "mainstream" Christianity in many ways being that I'm a sacred name seventh-day adventist. It's a fine line to walk when you have that situation. Am I against every single statue and figure that is in a state building that has any religious significance? No. Am I against the state spending tax dollars on building anymore? Yes, and I'm also not necessarily a national day of prayer, but I find it highly unnecessary, and it's right on the borderline with me. As for the founding fathers being religious: some were some weren't. just as there's a lot of judeo-christian artwork in the nation's capitol there's some real pagan symbols too.

Too bad. Im praying anyway.

You are welcome to pray.... kindly refrain from being an American while undertaking this disgusting habit. Stick to drugs, alcohol, shit like that.... just don't be an American and pray at the same time. Otherwise, the Gummit will come and git you.

Earth worship is a personal matter, too. As is MLK worship, as is eating cheesecake. We have national days for those things.

It's just a matter of time when Christmas will no longer be a national holiday.

And Christians get rounded up for their beliefs to be re-educated

Here comes the slippery slope!

And Christians get rounded up for their beliefs to be re-educated.

Yeah because if the history of America has shown anything it is that Christians are always the group being wronged and persecuted. :rolleyes:

My question is if Republicans want less government in there lives, and I agree with this idea, why do they want a national day where the government is telling them to pray? As long as the national day of prayer is in no way endorsed by the government I see no problem with it.

I will refer you to the incest discussion, where people are arguing that it's a matter of freedom to allow people to screw and have babies with whomever they please....a direct outcropping of the notion that true "freedom" means allowing gays to participate in state-recognized marriage. Slippery slopes are very real.

The persecution of Jews started with just a few little restrictions here and there, and a lot of propaganda. Likewise the genocide of Mayans in Guatemala.

I will refer you to the incest discussion, where people are arguing that it's a matter of freedom to allow people to screw and have babies with whomever they please....a direct outcropping of the notion that true "freedom" means allowing gays to participate in state-recognized marriage. Slippery slopes are very real.

No freedom means if the institution of marriage and its benefits are afforded to heterosexual couples it should also be afforded to homosexual couples. Its a Due Process and Equal Protection issue. If heterosexuals were never given rights and benefits and allowed to get government recognized marriages it would be a different discussion.

Also, as far I have heard it argued that there is never really a consensual incestious relationship. More often than not one party is coercing the other to participate in the act.

Forum List

Back