Nat Turner. Hero or Villian?

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I found out some great news today. I am related to one of my heroes Nat Turner. Fredrick Douglass also thought of Nat Turner as someone that deserved admiration. Calling him more of a revolutionary than the whites that supposedly fought for freedom while simultaneously enslaving others. I have long thought it took some guts and fortitude to do what Turner did. He killed every single white person he ran into. This included women and children. I dont think I would have been able to kill some of the women and none of the children. Guts not because it was dangerous but because it goes against the natural instinct to protect children. Some people (even some Black people) think he should not have killed the women and children but I have pointed out that those same women and children would have definitely ran for help thereby reducing the force and effectiveness of what he was doing. In my eyes he will always be a hero for fighting for his people. His attitude is one all Black people should have in the face of oppression. "By Any Means Necessary"

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Great ending for him....swinging from a tree and his actions only made it harder for blacks afterwards as states passed laws cracking down.

Onyx

Gold Member
Reaction score
By any means necessary is the rationalization behind almost all societal wrongs.

OP
Asclepias

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Great ending for him....swinging from a tree and his actions only made it harder for blacks afterwards as states passed laws cracking down.
The best ending. Shows he was absolutely willing to die for his beliefs. His actions inspired and motivated generation after generation of freedom fighters that continue to this day. We dont mind that it was harder. Nat Turner just showed the whites that there would be repercussions to their actions.

Onyx

Gold Member
Reaction score
The best ending. Shows he was absolutely willing to die for his beliefs. His actions inspired and motivated generation after generation of freedom fighters that continue to this day. We dont mind that it was harder. Nat Turner just showed the whites that there would be repercussions to their actions.
His actions had a negative impact.

This same debate has been had many times by anarchists, in regards to propaganda of the deed.

OP
Asclepias

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
His actions had a negative impact.

This same debate has been had many times by anarchists, in regards to propaganda of the deed.
i disagree. His actions paved the way for more resistance. The stories handed down in my family tell me that he was revered and provided strength for Blacks.

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I found out some great news today. I am related to one of my heroes Nat Turner. Fredrick Douglass also thought of Nat Turner as someone that deserved admiration. Calling him more of a revolutionary than the whites that supposedly fought for freedom while simultaneously enslaving others. I have long thought it took some guts and fortitude to do what Turner did. He killed every single white person he ran into. This included women and children. I dont think I would have been able to kill some of the women and none of the children. Guts not because it was dangerous but because it goes against the natural instinct to protect children. Some people (even some Black people) think he should not have killed the women and children but I have pointed out that those same women and children would have definitely ran for help thereby reducing the force and effectiveness of what he was doing. In my eyes he will always be a hero for fighting for his people. His attitude is one all Black people should have in the face of oppression. "By Any Means Necessary"
Nat Turner? Well at least we know your stupidity and hatred is genetic and not learned. That's a plus.?.
I married into the family of Nathan Bedford Forest. Wanna have a debate over who was more badass?

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nat Turner? Well at least we know your stupidity and hatred is genetic and not learned. That's a plus.?.
I married into the family of Nathan Bedford Forest. Wanna have a debate over who was more badass?
"War means fighting and fighting means killing"

OP
Asclepias

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not really. Forest isnt even on the same level as Turner. I had to look him up just to see who he was. He fought for the loser south. I prefer not to get side tracked by your inept deflections.

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yeah and what he did caused immense wrongdoing and suffering to thousands upon thousands of blacks afterwards. You should learn all the history and not just what makes you feel good

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not really. Forest isnt even on the same level as Turner. I had to look him up just to see who he was. He fought for the loser south. I prefer not to get side tracked by your inept deflections.
And probably the greatest general in all history. If im not mistaken, he lost one battle. If it wasn't for him, the South would have lost a lot faster. How do you think the southerners ended up with all those northern weapons? Nat just killed people weaker than him. sounds like a coward

Reaction score
Blacks in America Have Never Been Treated Worse Than They Would Have Treated Themselves

Slavery saved them from savagery. They were a lot better off on the plantation than they had been back in the jungle. Their usual fate there was to become a lion's lunch.

Last edited:

Onyx

Gold Member
Reaction score
i disagree. His actions paved the way for more resistance. The stories handed down in my family tell me that he was revered and provided strength for Blacks.
The level of hatred and negative attention it brought about far outweighed the significance the action had on the cult being fought for.

Anarchists learned this the hard way, by quickly becoming associated with violence and chaos. Sure, I found myself inspired by Ted Kaczynski killing Gilbert Murray, but overall it marginalized our perception as being crazy psychopathic lunatics.

At he basis of revolutionary theory is the collective conscious of the people. Our ranks of assassins and bombers gave us a negative perception, whereas Nestor Mahkno and the Black Army, which never resorted to terror tactics, are treated like valiant heroes and sources of pride among even non-anarchists.

Black power movements are better off in solidarity. Becoming a boogeyman discredits future freedom fighters.

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's how ignorant of history you are, Forrest was by far the South's best general...anyone with any knowledge of the Civil War would know that and would be screaming Nathan Bedford Forrest started the KKK.

Reaction score
African Jihad

Just like the rioters and gangbangers, empty NT fulfilled his genetic desire for mindless thrill-killing.

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List