NASCAR (in general)

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I've closely followed NASCAR since the first time I saw it on TV- prior to that the only thing I could follow is what was in the news papers and magazines.

I've lamented often to those complaining about it they should start their own series and run it the way they wanted. I still believe that, so, I'm not going to pretend I can tell NASCAR how to run it's business.

However, I believe they stepped on their dick one too many times.

There was a time when competition was the name of the game. Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar. There were some, and still are, some very intelligent people working on NASCAR teams. NASCAR was the epitome of "if you have the resources you're welcome to participate".

But, it (NASCAR) has been taken over by people who seem to believe rules are the answer. One need only to look to the Empty Suit brigades in the District(s) of Criminals across the Country to see that's not the answer.

They kicked out one of the most exciting, and personable drivers to ever set in a Cup car- he's now won 6 Dirt Track races in a row, 5, in winged 410 Sprint cars and one (last night) in a midget. In 7 races the worse he has done in 2nd. Cup Drivers, as a rule, couldn't even start a Sprint car, or a midget, though Ricky Stenhouse Jr and Christopher Bell are the exceptions to that rule. So was Tony Stewart. Tony still races Sprint cars, (Stenhouse did pretty good last night in a midget and Chritopher Bell is always a threat when he shows up to race midgets or Sprint cars) and owns a World of Outlaws team as well owning the very storied El Dora Speedway and the All Star Circuit of Champions 410 winged Sprint car series.

What has Bubba Wallace done?

Well, the "news" sources say he's changing the culture of NASCAR- maybe, maybe not. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, NASCAR has been racing since the late 40's, in the South, and on TV for years. Bubba Wallace isn't going to change that. Kyle Larson, like Earnhardt Jr and Jeff Gordon could add fans- permanently.

Granted NASCAR is between a rock and a hard place, but, I don't think the answer is more pandering.

Then a few minutes ago I read this.

Nascar Appoints First Diversity Chief After Confederate Flag Controversy

I no longer watch TV except Netflix and Dirtvision which I stream so I don't really care- but it saddens me to see something I really enjoy (going fast and turning left while making a lot of noise) pandering to the PC culture.

I never watched NASCAR...or any racing but this is another example of a sport molding it's culture around an employee.
'Bubba' Wallace is just a driver. He will go away some day...however the dip shit decisions they make will never go away.
Whites keep doing these things as if they expect some reciprocity....lol!

I used to love NASCAR back when teams were allowed to experiment more with different motors, setups, etc. . . Back before it became a social experiment.

They (like so many musicians and actors) clearly don't want me in their audience anymore.

NASCAR screwed the pooch with Oreo boy Bubba and the Black Lies Matter Car, Makes me wonder who paid for that car's sponsorship or was it donated and if so, who donated it? I think Richard Petty as the car owner has some explaining to do. NASCAR has been in decline for a number of years now. It used to be cars had to qualify to get into a 43 car field, today they qualify for starting positions only for a 38 car field. They eliminated the Confederate flag from their tracks and took the July 4th race away from Daytona, they hate their southern heritage and their fans and are looking to create a new image and fan base

• Banned
they hate their southern heritage and their fans and are looking to create a new image and fan base
It would seem that way. But, understand, if you can, NASCAR has become big business with revenue in the 100's of millions of dollars annually- I don't condone their recent, and even not so recent, actions, but, it is what it is. That level of revenue isn't generated from fans in the stands or the infield, it comes from TV paying them for the rights to televise- sadly I don't think even TV can help everything/anything Sports now days as there are too many venues for, not only entertainment, but for the serious about a sport folks to imbibe their desire to keep up with whatever they're interested in.

Personally, I'm not going to pay a cable TV company to watch anything, ever again. I cut the cord last December and it will stay cut- I'm sure others feel similarly for various reasons, so, the ad costs will go down, or fewer will use TV as the threshold of advertising- I don't see a win-win situation, but then I don't get paid big bucks to.

I'll stick to Dirt Track racing, where, oh, BTW, Larson won again last night. Came from 13th or 14th on the grid to win- that ain't easy. It was available to watch through streaming although I didn't as I don't care much for Midget racing, but, Dirtvision streams every World of Outlaws (Sprint Cars and late Models and even has an Iracing series they stream) race for 39 bucks a month- typically they schedule upwards of 80 races a year- I say typically because people got stupid this year with this flu hoax and rain does effect Dirt Tracks more than paved, but, still- Feb thru November one, maybe 2 sometimes 3 or 4 races a week-

I asked before; what has Bubba Wallace done?
Now I'll ask; what has NASCAR done? Oh, they rescheduled and moved the All Star race and are "allowing" 30,000 fans- in a stadium (Bristol) capable of 100,000 plus- which not that long ago the only way to get tickets was attrition- now, they're "allowing" people to attend. SMH

they hate their southern heritage and their fans and are looking to create a new image and fan base
It would seem that way. But, understand, if you can, NASCAR has become big business with revenue in the 100's of millions of dollars annually- I don't condone their recent, and even not so recent, actions, but, it is what it is. That level of revenue isn't generated from fans in the stands or the infield, it comes from TV paying them for the rights to televise- sadly I don't think even TV can help everything/anything Sports now days as there are too many venues for, not only entertainment, but for the serious about a sport folks to imbibe their desire to keep up with whatever they're interested in.

Personally, I'm not going to pay a cable TV company to watch anything, ever again. I cut the cord last December and it will stay cut- I'm sure others feel similarly for various reasons, so, the ad costs will go down, or fewer will use TV as the threshold of advertising- I don't see a win-win situation, but then I don't get paid big bucks to.

I'll stick to Dirt Track racing, where, oh, BTW, Larson won again last night. Came from 13th or 14th on the grid to win- that ain't easy. It was available to watch through streaming although I didn't as I don't care much for Midget racing, but, Dirtvision streams every World of Outlaws (Sprint Cars and late Models and even has an Iracing series they stream) race for 39 bucks a month- typically they schedule upwards of 80 races a year- I say typically because people got stupid this year with this flu hoax and rain does effect Dirt Tracks more than paved, but, still- Feb thru November one, maybe 2 sometimes 3 or 4 races a week-

I asked before; what has Bubba Wallace done?
Now I'll ask; what has NASCAR done? Oh, they rescheduled and moved the All Star race and are "allowing" 30,000 fans- in a stadium (Bristol) capable of 100,000 plus- which not that long ago the only way to get tickets was attrition- now, they're "allowing" people to attend. SMH
The Homestead race they allowed 1000 fans in a track that has held 70,000 fans the thing is they were all comp ticket, real race fans could not attend, No tailgate partying was allowed and not a souvenir trailer in sight, The same rules apply to Talladega, Not sure that NASCAR will ever recover from this

'll stick to Dirt Track racing, where, oh, BTW, Larson won again last night. Came from 13th or 14th on the grid to win- that ain't easy. It was available to watch through streaming although I didn't as I don't care much for Midget racing, but,
Used to watch the midgets race years ago when ES{N had the Thursday Night Thunder series. Saw some great racing but that was cancelled for reasons unknown.

The newer modern technology and better TV resolution has made NASCAR a bit more interesting to watch. Somewhere the politics got involved in an industry that was reviled by many Prog urbanites.

Forum List

Back