Nasa finds "Chilled Out" Star

Dr.Traveler

Mathematician
Aug 31, 2009
Nasa Finds Chilled Out Star

This is reportedly the "coolest" star ever found, with a surface temperature of 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm not up on all the details here, but I find myself wondering if a star like that could be colonized directly. If the surface temp is 80 degrees, why not build something on the surface?

The biggest issue I think would exist would be Gravity. I find myself wondering what the gravitational force is that is acting on a person on the surface.

Otherwise, wow. Imagine having a home on the surface of the star.

I imagine it would be hard to stand or build foundations on, since a star is entirely made of plasma. Plasma isn't known for it's solidarity.

Nonetheless, this is pretty neat.

I imagine it would be hard to stand or build foundations on, since a star is entirely made of plasma. Plasma isn't known for it's solidarity.

Nonetheless, this is pretty neat.

I doubt that a 80 F there'd be any plasma. Brown dwarfs are failed stars that produce heat, but never quite got to the plasma stage

The gravity on the surface would be enormous though. No human could stand that force. An automated device might be able to do some really cool experiments/discoveries there though if the surface was solid enough. If not, it would be awesome to send the probe through the surface for as long as it could survive. I would imagine that the conditions would be worse than Jupiter though so that would not be the easiest thing to do...

Forum List

Back