Nancy Pelosi Comes Out Against Renaming Schools and Removing Statues

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
In her praise of John Lewis at the Capital Rotunda Service on July 27, 2020, Nancy Pelosi spoke well of John Lewis and his dedication to remembering history so to strive for a better future.

John Lewis would not have wanted the name of the Robert E. Lee High School changed. He would not have wanted the name of the Edmund Pettus Bridge changed. He would not have wanted statues of Confederate Heroes removed or destroyed. He would not have wanted remembrance of Columbus to be erased.

John Lewis believed that in order to build a better future, we have to acknowledge the past.

He made many trips back to the Edmund Pettus Bridge for photo ops. He made a trip to Guana to commemorate the 400th year since black slaves first arrived in America. He would not want anyone to be deprived of this knowledge of history lest they become unaware of the journey to where we are now.

Here is part of Nancy Pelosi's speech in the Rotunda:

Screenshot_2020-07-28 John Lewis Memorial Service Transcript at US Capitol July 27 - Rev.png

Note where she says, "He knew that the door of no return was a central part of American history, just as is the Edmund Pettus Bridge."

Here is the full transcript of the service:

I wonder if she thinks her SS security team are storm troopers.....

In her praise of John Lewis at the Capital Rotunda Service on July 27, 2020, Nancy Pelosi spoke well of John Lewis and his dedication to remembering history so to strive for a better future.

John Lewis would not have wanted the name of the Robert E. Lee High School changed. He would not have wanted the name of the Edmund Pettus Bridge changed. He would not have wanted statues of Confederate Heroes removed or destroyed. He would not have wanted remembrance of Columbus to be erased.

John Lewis believed that in order to build a better future, we have to acknowledge the past.

He made many trips back to the Edmund Pettus Bridge for photo ops. He made a trip to Guana to commemorate the 400th year since black slaves first arrived in America. He would not want anyone to be deprived of this knowledge of history lest they become unaware of the journey to where we are now.

View attachment 368229
Note where she says, "He knew that the door of no return was a central part of American history, just as is the Edmund Pettus Bridge."

lol It was the statue of Columbus that really go to her. Italians take great pride in saying an Italian discovered America.

what happened to "People do what they do"?

then again, i guess saying we're going to remove the democratic party for racist past history struck a chord.

View attachment 368229

Maybe you can actually point to the part where she says she opposes renaming schools and taking down statues

View attachment 368229

Maybe you can actually point to the part where she says she opposes renaming schools and taking down statues
I didn't say she said she opposes. I point only to her praising a man for his apparent opposition to erasing history. My thread title was a "click me" tag. You should be familiar with fake headlines.

View attachment 368229

lol It was the statue of Columbus that really go to her. Italians take great pride in saying an Italian discovered America.
Italians didn’t discover this country.

I believe taking down the statue of a dictator after he has been deposed is the right thing to do.

I believe the destruction of the Berlin Wall after Communism fell in East Germany was the right thing to do.

I believe the toppling of statues of Lenin and other Communist leaders after the fall of Communism in a country is the right thing to do.

However, I do not believe that toppling the statues of men and women who fought for a cause that is now disfavored is the right thing to do.

I am strongly against the vandalism of a statue of Jesus, Mary or a Catholic saint.

I believe the burning or vandalism of a church or synagogue is always wrong.

I do not have a consistent view, and I admit it.

Forum List

Back