Name That Tool…

Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2015
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
I happened to come across, a very short while ago, with a tool that I haven't used for many years. It occurred to me that it might make an interesting game for me, or someone else, to post a picture of some really obscure tool that they have, and see if others can identify it.

Depending on how this thread goes, and what else I later come across, I may post more, later. I don't suppose there's any good reason why anyone else shouldn't do so, as well, as long as we don't get too many in the air at once.

So, here's one to begin with…

ZSC_2001_1600x900.jpg

• Banned
Some kind of a leatherworking tool?
yep a leather tool,,,

I suppose, if this game continues, we can come to some rule whether insufficiently-precise answers get any response. To be correct, I certainly want a more specific answer, ideally what the tool is called, and some description of how it is used or what it does.

For now, I will confirm that yes, it is used in leatherworking.

yep a leather tool,,,

I suppose, if this game continues, we can come to some rule whether insufficiently-precise answers get any response. To be correct, I certainly want a more specific answer, ideally what the tool is called, and some description of how it is used or what it does.

that tool has a few uses,, it can be used for tracing or slitting or to inlay a stitch,,

• Banned
Here's one I have that nobody will probably get....

M1CarbineG.I.PistonNutWrenchCRB003__74622.1568231217.jpg

I've never seen one of those, but its function appears pretty obvious to me. But any answer I could give without cheating would run afoul of what I just said about insufficiently-specific answers. There is even a name by which I would call this tool, if I had no better name, which broadly applies to a wide range of others tools with a similar function.

yep a leather tool,,,

Swivel knife?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/716090...MIs6WWqLL87gIVi56zCh0nfgwJEAQYAiABEgIQ5_D_BwE

Oh, and the tool I pictured is a gas piston wrench for an M1 carbine.

I happened to come across, a very short while ago, with a tool that I haven't used for many years. It occurred to me that it might make an interesting game for me, or someone else, to post a picture of some really obscure tool that they have, and see if others can identify it.

Depending on how this thread goes, and what else I later come across, I may post more, later. I don't suppose there's any good reason why anyone else shouldn't do so, as well, as long as we don't get too many in the air at once.

So, here's one to begin with…

View attachment 460146
That sir is a swivel knife for leather work.

Attachments

• 1613960662697.png
    1613960662697.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Yes, that is what it is called. Interesting very ornate variant, to which you posted a link, but yes, the same thing.

It's used for carving decorative designs into leather. Well, for outlining those designs, anyway. Others tools are then used to finish the designs.

I have not used it for a very, very, very long time, because nearly all of the leatherworking I have done in the last few decades, at least, has been very practical, making or fixing things for practical uses, with little will to spend much extra time and effort on elaborate cosmetic enhancements thereto.

In fact, I am fairly sure that the last use that I made of it was with this wallet, which I can place as being in 1994. I lost my wallet, about the same time I began corresponding with a certain woman over FidoNet that year. I remember, among that conversation, mentioning having lost my wallet, and the resulting hassles. This is the wallet that I made to replace it. The woman, in question, came to Santa Barbara to meet me in person some weeks later, we were engaged about four or five days after that, and married a year later. Our twenty-sixth wedding anniversary is coming up in a few months.

The wallet looked a lot better when it was newer. Twenty-seven years in my back pocket has taken a significant toll on the artistic work I did on it when I made it.

ZSC_20061200x8000.jpg

Oh, and the tool I pictured is a gas piston wrench for an M1 carbine.

I knew it was a wrench of some kind. In fact, “wrench” is the name to which I alluded in my previous response, as a name I would apply to this tool, if I didn't know any more specific description.

Forum List

Back