Myths and Facts About the Debt-Ceiling Compromise

It probably wasn't posted because it is incredibly inaccurate. Obama is just trying to cover his ass with his base, and most of them are too intelligent to buy it.

I don't find this information terribly useful. It's given in the much-abused myth-fact format, but the "facts" aren't all facts and the myths aren't all myths. The "myth",
"Myth: President Obama caved"
is a purely subjective conclusion, and one that I largely agree with. It certainly isn't factually false. Similarly, the "fact"
"Fact: They [Republicans] won’t admit it publicly, but when push came to shove, Republicans backed down on their key demands."
is based on the entirely subjective and nonfactual judgment of what demands were "key". Boehner for example made the equally subjective claim that he got 98% of what he wanted.

Beyond the subjectivity of the claims, there are other problems with the information. First, of course, the White House simply isn't unbiased about the deal Obama struck-- they are advocates, not analysts. Second, the article provides very little evidence, either through linking or through original research. If I wanted to reassess the debt ceiling agreement, which I have no particular interest in doing at least until the Super Committee starts making noises, I'd look for information from other sources.

Myths and Facts About the Debt-Ceiling Compromise | The White House

Infographic: The Bipartisan Compromise | The White House

Very insightful. I know it's a month old, but I don't recall seeing this get posted here at USMB.

With all due respect, Betty? Why would anyone take what the White House's PR people put out at face value? Those two pieces are written by some well paid and ostensibly talented people to put a good spin on what's been happening. I'm not leveling this criticism at "just" the Obama White House, by the way, since they ALL do it. "Insightful" isn't how I would describe these articles.

Myths and Facts About the Debt-Ceiling Compromise | The White House

Infographic: The Bipartisan Compromise | The White House

Very insightful. I know it's a month old, but I don't recall seeing this get posted here at USMB.

With all due respect, Betty? Why would anyone take what the White House's PR people put out at face value? Those two pieces are written by some well paid and ostensibly talented people to put a good spin on what's been happening. I'm not leveling this criticism at "just" the Obama White House, by the way, since they ALL do it. "Insightful" isn't how I would describe these articles.

It provides insight by displaying how convoluted the logic of the White House is right now.

Forum List

Back