Zone1 Mystery Of Medieval Pendant Full Of Bones Solved Using Neutrons

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A gold-plated pendant thought to date back to the late 12th century has been analyzed using a neutron-based imaging technique, revealing its innermost secrets for the first time. The painstaking work was conducted by a team from the Leibniz-Zentrum für Archäologie at the Technical University of Munich.

The ornately decorated pendant was first unearthed in 2008 in the German city of Mainz, in the remnants of a medieval rubbish dump. It was immediately obvious that the pendant had been designed to open like a locket – but, frustratingly, centuries worth of damage meant that revealing its contents would be no easy feat.

“Centuries of corrosion have heavily damaged the object as a whole and especially the lock mechanism; opening the pendant would have meant destroying it beyond all hope of repair,” said restorer Matthias Heinzel in a statement.

Not to be deterred, the team turned to two different techniques involving neutrons.

I'm more intrigued by the techniques than I am the pendant and what that means in the future. This has been claimed over the inter-web (which means it must be true) that of a Saint. They have no way of knowing any of that. In fact, I think it's pretty doubtful.

A gold-plated pendant thought to date back to the late 12th century has been analyzed using a neutron-based imaging technique, revealing its innermost secrets for the first time. The painstaking work was conducted by a team from the Leibniz-Zentrum für Archäologie at the Technical University of Munich.

The ornately decorated pendant was first unearthed in 2008 in the German city of Mainz, in the remnants of a medieval rubbish dump. It was immediately obvious that the pendant had been designed to open like a locket – but, frustratingly, centuries worth of damage meant that revealing its contents would be no easy feat.

“Centuries of corrosion have heavily damaged the object as a whole and especially the lock mechanism; opening the pendant would have meant destroying it beyond all hope of repair,” said restorer Matthias Heinzel in a statement.

Not to be deterred, the team turned to two different techniques involving neutrons.

I'm more intrigued by the techniques than I am the pendant and what that means in the future. This has been claimed over the inter-web (which means it must be true) that of a Saint. They have no way of knowing any of that. In fact, I think it's pretty doubtful.
I think it's going to be hard to stimulate interest here without some hints on the contents. However, I appreciate your attempt at starting a decent discussion!

That an object would be goldplated in the 12th. century is interesting in itself.

Forum List

Back