Zone1 My Testimony

Dec 17, 2021
I am a Christian. I have a testimony. I would like to have others hear it.

In the first part of 1982, I was a practicing alcoholic. Sometimes I drove a car drunk.

On March 28th, 1982, I was in Tacoma, WA. My father, mother, and brother were in Bellevue, WA. To celebrate my mom's birthday, the three of them went to have dinner at a chinese restaurant in Seattle. On the way home, they had a head-on collision with a drunk driver. The three of them were taken to Harborview Hospital.

The following day, someone at Harborview called me and told me what had happened. I went to see my family immediately. My mom was in the ICU. My dad and brother were in better condition, so they were elsewhere in the hospital.

I stood in the ICU beside my mother's bed. She had been hit on the head very hard. She was unconscious. She was on a ventilator. Her head was shaved. I thought to myself that the person responsible for this should be killed. Then it occurred to me that the person responsible might be at Harborview. I thought to myself that if that person was also on life-support, it would probably be easy to disconnect it.

I went to the desk at the ICU and asked the woman there if the person who had hit my family was at Harborview. She said yes, and she said he was at Harborview Hall. That was across the street. I left the ICU and went across the street to Harborview Hall. I tried the front door. It was locked. This was in the middle of the daytime. Then it occurred to me that there might be a tunnel underground between the main Harborview building and Harborview Hall. I went back to the main building and went downstairs. There was a tunnel, but the door to that was locked. I gave up. On the basis of what I have learned since then, that guy was probably not at Harborview. Nonetheless, I wonder if I would have killed him if I had actually found him.

I had been a drunk driver, but I had been thinking that another drunk driver should die because he hit my family. That was pure hypocrisy. I believe that that incident showed me that I was a sinner. I did not undergo a religious conversion at that time, but I think a seed was planted in my mind.

Several days later, mom died. My father and brother eventually left the hospital without any permanent injury.

Several weeks later, I went to Alcoholics Anonymous. I got sober. Eventually, I met some people in AA who were Christians. I heard their testimony. I believe their testimony combined in my mind with what I had experienced that day at the hospital. Eventually, I accepted Christ as Lord and Savior.

It's been a long time since the 1980s. A lot has happened. I am still following Christ. I have attempted many times to witness to unbelievers. I am glad I do not live in a country where Christianity is illegal.

I said I was a sinner. In the Bible, in Romans 3:23, it says "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,...". That means everyone has sinned and failed to meet God's moral standards. That applies to everyone reading these words. Later in the Bible, in Romans 6:23, it says "For the wages of sin is death...". That means the payment that is due for sin is eternal separation from God in Hell. In other words, everyone deserves to go to Hell because of their sins. In 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, it says "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures,...". Jesus made it possible for you to be saved from the penalty for your sins.

Here is how you can be saved: You need to be convinced that you are a sinner. You need to be convinced that your sins condemn you to Hell. You need to be convinced that you can't solve the problem by doing good works. Be genuinely sorry for your sins. Turn in your heart from sin to God. Become willing to obey God unconditionally. Believe with all your heart that Jesus is God, that he never sinned, that he died for your sins, and that he rose from the dead. If you believe that, God will make an exchange. He will count your sins as Christ's sins, so he pays for them on the cross. He will count Christ's perfect righteousness as yours. On the basis of those two things, God will declare you to be righteous. That means you will go to heaven when you die.

My neighbors tried hard to indoctrinate me into becoming a Christian. I remain an atheist. I have a testimony. I would like to have others hear it.

I've never been an alcoholic nor a drug addict with the exception of nicotine. I've never driven a car drunk. I've never intentionally hurt anyone beyond punching a friend's shoulder once so hard it made him cry which caused me to instantly regret it and I apologized profusely. He doesn't even remember it today.

If breaking laws equals sinning then I am definitely a sinner. For I have broken the posted speed limit on multiple occasions. As a teen I also accompanied my very Christian neighbors on some adventurous evenings, usually around Halloween, doing various mischief and vandalizing some new housing projects. I once cut though a thick power cable with my pen knife, shorting the conductors, which resulted in a loud ZZzzzt! noise and blinding sparks, but zero electric shock. That would have been a perfectly opportune time to make its presence known if there had been some supernatural boss around up in the sky somewhere. Nope. Nothing. I had fallen backwards and was still regaining my vision when my neighbor handed me the cable to take home as a souvenir. He was the most devout, practicing Catholic around.

That all occurred over forty-five years ago. Since then I've become related to and encountered dozens of "born again" Christians, Jehovah's Witnesses, and so forth. All expressed horror at my condition and tried like hell to "save" me. "What stops you from just robbing a bank or killing yourself?" said one in particular, very memorably. But that was just one variation on a boringly common theme. Every one of them were soon engaging in behaviors that I considered far worse than anything I'd ever done. Needless to say, they proved unconvincing. To the contrary. Looking back it continues to sadden me that so many people waste so much of their lives trying to believe such obvious BS.

But to each their own as they say. Whatever keeps your dinghy afloat.

Many Christians preach that by doing good works you cannot earn your way to heaven. Although it is true that you cannot earn your way to heaven, doing good works is what God wants us to do. God will not save the sinner in his sins but requires that we repent and follow the teachings of Jesus. The repentance is not earning your way to heaven but doing what Jesus requires before he will grant his mercy and forgive you. Many use the following two verses to excuse themselves from doing good works:

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

However, the next verse tells us something also:

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It is true that only in and through the grace of Jesus Christ are we saved. It is also true that no matter how many works we do, without the grace of Jesus Christ we cannot be saved. But this does not excuse us from doing good works. Jesus expects us to walk in good works and only after doing so will he grant the grace we need to be saved into the kingdom of heaven. We don't earn his grace but only do what he requires before he will grant his grace unto us. Good works are what we should all be doing. We are saved by grace through faith. Faith without good works is dead.

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had boffered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

From this we see that a true faith requires that we do good works. And it is through faith that we receive the grace of Jesus Christ which is the saving element. It is not that we earn our way to heaven or earn the grace of God, but that we simply fulfill God's requirements of us before he will grant his mercy upon us. Good works are good for us to do.

1 Corinthians 15:58
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Last edited:
The next time I meet a real Xtian will be the first time.
Real Christians are all sinners and are in need of forgiveness of God for the their sins. You mean that you have never really met a sinner before?

Forum List

Back