My Rotti Diamond, for the first time seen her reflection in a mirror!

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My girlfriend just hung a full length mirror on our bedroom wall. Diamond, the Rotti, Has just discovered her reflection. At first she would growl at herself, and it didn't take her to realize that it was her. Its so cute, now I catch her just standing in front of the mirror checking her self out. She turns her head from side to side actually checking herself out, like she is thinking "Damn I'm a good looking Rotti." lol

Do you think dogs notice that they are different from us and other animals? Or do you think that their brains are so pure that difference and color isn't a concern or even a thought for them?

I think that they never give it a thought about being different from us.

I know they are dogs and don't think how we do but I'm sure they notice differences.

When I was grooming dogs, many of them were seriously interested in their hair cuts and styles. They would turn their heads side to side checking out the new look.

it didn't take her to realize that it was her.

You're anthropomorphizing. Household pets lack the acuity it takes to recognize it is they which they see in a mirror. They do, however, have the sentience to realize the image in the mirror is not reacting to them and is no threat to them, thus why they stop "fussing" about the image they see there. They realize it makes no sound and has no smell that indicates it's a creature about which they need be concerned.
To be sure, Diamond does see something in the mirror. To tell whether Diamond realizes she's seeing herself, shave a small patch of the hair on the top of her head and then observe whether she uses the mirror so she can see that part of her head in it. She will surely be aware that she's less warm on the spot you shaved, but will she realize that it's she she's seeing in the mirror is wholly different matter and level of cognition. Can you train her to look in the mirror to see the shaved spot? Perhaps, dogs can be taught to do quite a lot of things, but that's not the same thing as their abstractly knowing what they're doing and why, to say nothing of using tools, which is what a mirror and its reflections are to creatures that are self-recognizing.

After the shop closed and the late leaving dogs were waiting for pick up I'd put on some classical music, set up my easel and paint. The dogs would relax, lay around and watch me. They seemed extremely interested, rivited in the paint changing white canvas into something else.

You're anthropomorphizing. Household pets lack the acuity it takes to recognize it is they which they see in a mirror. They do, however, have the sentience to realize the image in the mirror is not reacting to them and is no threat to them, thus why they stop "fussing" about the image they see there. They realize it makes no sound and has no smell that indicates it's a creature about which they need be concerned.
To be sure, Diamond does see something in the mirror. To tell whether Diamond realizes she's seeing herself, shave a small patch of the hair on the top of her head and then observe whether she uses the mirror so she can see that part of her head in it. She will surely be aware that she's less warm on the spot you shaved, but will she realize that it's she she's seeing in the mirror is wholly different matter and level of cognition. Can you train her to look in the mirror to see the shaved spot? Perhaps, dogs can be taught to do quite a lot of things, but that's not the same thing as their abstractly knowing what they're doing and why, to say nothing of using tools, which is what a mirror and its reflections are to creatures that are self-recognizing.
Having shaved, trimmed and decorated dogs, they are most certainly aware of their appearance. Some dogs don't care, but many more do.

Whatever dude, I used to have two dogs that played with the floor mirror every morning. Seeing each other in it, playing around.

Whatever dude, I used to have two dogs that played with the floor mirror every morning. Seeing each other in it, playing around.
And in what respect is that anecdote probative about the nature and extent of canine cognition, specifically their capacity for ocular self-recognition?

It has been established that canines have olfactory self-recognition capability, but it's not been established they are ocularly self-aware, which is what they'd need to have to recognize that it is themselves, not something other than themselves, they see in a mirror.

It's not surprising that they self-cognizant in one sensory dimension and not in another. Most people would not, for instance, know themselves by smell or auditorily, though humans often recognize others by sound or smell.

And in what respect is that anecdote probative about the nature and extent of canine cognition, specifically their capacity for ocular self-recognition?

It has been established that canines have olfactory self-recognition capability, but it's not been established they are ocularly self-aware, which is what they'd need to have to recognize that it is themselves, not something other than themselves, they see in a mirror.

It's not surprising that they self-cognizant in one sensory dimension and not in another. Most people would not, for instance, know themselves by smell or auditorily, though humans often recognize others by sound or smell.

They know it's themselves and play like some do shadow-boxing you over-wordy so-and-so.

They know it's themselves and play like some do shadow-boxing you over-wordy so-and-so.
So you say.....

So you say.....

Prove me wrong, Dog Whisperer.

My girlfriend just hung a full length mirror on our bedroom wall. Diamond, the Rotti, Has just discovered her reflection. At first she would growl at herself, and it didn't take her to realize that it was her. Its so cute, now I catch her just standing in front of the mirror checking her self out. She turns her head from side to side actually checking herself out, like she is thinking "Damn I'm a good looking Rotti." lol

Do you think dogs notice that they are different from us and other animals? Or do you think that their brains are so pure that difference and color isn't a concern or even a thought for them?

I know they are dogs and don't think how we do but I'm sure they notice differences.

Picture of Diamond.

Where is he.

We want to see him ...then we discuss the topic ok?

Him first.:)

So you say.....

Burden of Proof Fallacy (Shifting the Burden of Proof)

The burden of proof regarding the assertion that the dog recognized itself is not mine.
Diamond, the Rotti, Has just discovered her reflection. At first she would growl at herself, and it didn't take her to realize that it was her.
They know it's themselves

So you say.....

Burden of Proof Fallacy (Shifting the Burden of Proof)

The burden of proof regarding the assertion that the dog recognized itself is not mine.

iu

Whatever. :blahblah:

The dogs are gone, only their offspring live on.

Picture of Diamond.

Where is he.

IMG_1243.JPG

Picture of Diamond.

Where is he.

View attachment 157915
Diamond is the Rotti and willow is the sheltie

Diamond is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: and Willow looks so sweet!!!!!:biggrin:

Thank you for the photos!!!! :up:

Diamond is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: and Willow looks so sweet!!!!!:biggrin:

Thank you for the photos!!!! :up:
You are welcome, and thank you! Diamond is beautiful her markings are perfect, and she is smart as hell.

Willow is a little sweetheart has to cuddle with me every night.

Picture of Diamond.

Where is he.

View attachment 157915
Just wondering. How come we never see a picture of Dude's Pitbull?

Forum List

Back