My response to the statement "thank you for your service"......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
You know.........I have a U.S. Navy cap that says that I'm a retired U.S. Navy veteran, and quite often I have people walk up to me, shake my hand and thank me for my service. Up until recently, my standard response was "you're welcome, it was a pleasure to do it, because where else can you get paid good money to travel the world."

Over the 20 years I was in, I've been to 49 states and 26 different countries, spent a lot of time on sea duty.

However...........after listening to a conservative guest on Bill Maher's show the other week, I've since decided to change my response. It seems that they got into a discussion about the military and that led into voting rights, and the conservative said that he was told by a military member that he knew that the military person was disappointed in the low voter turnout, and that if the person thanking them for their service was truly grateful, they should vote, as that is one of the rights that the servicemember spent so much of their time in service to this country for.

As a matter of fact, that is one of the fundamental rights of this country that makes us a true democracy.

So, whenever someone thanks me for my service, the first thing I'm going to ask is "did you vote in the last election"? If they say yes, I'm going to thank them back for not letting my sacrifice be wasted (and yes, 20 years IS a pretty large sacrifice, because in the military you don't have as many rights as the average citizen).

If they say that they DIDN'T vote, I'm then going to ask them why they are thanking me for my service because they obviously wasted it by not voting.

You know.........I have a U.S. Navy cap that says that I'm a retired U.S. Navy veteran, and quite often I have people walk up to me, shake my hand and thank me for my service. Up until recently, my standard response was "you're welcome, it was a pleasure to do it, because where else can you get paid good money to travel the world."

Over the 20 years I was in, I've been to 49 states and 26 different countries, spent a lot of time on sea duty.

However...........after listening to a conservative guest on Bill Maher's show the other week, I've since decided to change my response. It seems that they got into a discussion about the military and that led into voting rights, and the conservative said that he was told by a military member that he knew that the military person was disappointed in the low voter turnout, and that if the person thanking them for their service was truly grateful, they should vote, as that is one of the rights that the servicemember spent so much of their time in service to this country for.

As a matter of fact, that is one of the fundamental rights of this country that makes us a true democracy.

So, whenever someone thanks me for my service, the first thing I'm going to ask is "did you vote in the last election"? If they say yes, I'm going to thank them back for not letting my sacrifice be wasted (and yes, 20 years IS a pretty large sacrifice, because in the military you don't have as many rights as the average citizen).

If they say that they DIDN'T vote, I'm then going to ask them why they are thanking me for my service because they obviously wasted it by not voting.
I'd frame your response a bit more diplomatically if it was me but I think the sentiment's excellent.

Believe me it was shocked the first time I was appreciated for my service, before all I heard was how bad soldiers were...

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what people run around advertising their military service these days. Somehow it became fashionable. Now you want to use it to make people uncomfortable? Enjoy your pension, that's how the country thanks you.

You're right.

At the most basic level, that is why we have a military - to protect our rights.

Pisses me off that so many don't vote.

About the toss off bumper sticker slogan, "support our troops". Annoys me because most don't.

As any of those who have the little ribbon on their car - "How do you support our troops?" and they'll give you a blank stare. Then they go vote for a Republican, which is exactly the opposite.

Voting doesn't do a damn bit of good what with the system we have now. I don't understand why Californians vote at all when it comes to POTUS. It's a done deal of who wins before our polls even close.

AND...if I thanked a veteran (which I do every time I see one), and he/she said that to me, I would say "you fought for our rights. That includes deciding NOT to vote if there is nobody we feel that strongly about".

As any of those who have the little ribbon on their car - "How do you support our troops?" and they'll give you a blank stare. Then they go vote for a Republican, which is exactly the opposite.
Few people live in your dank hate filled world and wouldn't understand what you were trying to say.

You're right.

At the most basic level, that is why we have a military - to protect our rights.

About the toss off bumper sticker slogan, "support our troops". Annoys me because most don't.

Oy. So...soldiers fighting for our rights are only fighting for liberals and if someone votes the way YOU think they should not vote, then it pisses you off?

Dayum.

It's why Nuttley is here.....

2zpt4du.jpg

You're right.

They should vote for a Democrat like John Kerry who testified to Congress about all of the atrocities US military men and women were committing in Vietnam while they were still being killed in combat. That is what you meant to say is it not?

You're right.

They should vote for a Democrat like John Kerry who testified to Congress about all of the atrocities US military men and women were committing in Vietnam while they were still being killed in combat. That is what you meant to say is it not?

Dang.

I forgot that its only called torture if its done to an American.

You're right.

Dang.

I forgot that its only called torture if its done to an American.

Ratting out your fellow servicemen while they are engaged in armed conflict is called aiding and abetting the enemy. In a declared war that would be classified as treason, and the firing squad would be appropriate.

I share your feelings, but, on the other hand, some of the idiots that do not vote are doing the country a favour.

I voted in the last election. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Thank you for your service which gives us all the freedom to choose whether we want to vote for anything or not. :) :) :)

Take the appreciation with class and don't be an ass....

Quick question...............how can I take the appreciation with class if the other person is an ass and doesn't appreciate or understand the lengths that I or any other person who has served in the military has gone to so that everyone can have a say in our government?

If you choose to not vote, then you also do not choose to appreciate the sacrifices that those who volunteered to serve in the military gave.

We are a democracy, and with that is the freedom to choose our leaders. One person, one vote.

If you don't vote, you've just wasted the sacrifice of those who have served in the military that ensure your right to vote.

If you want to tell me how much you appreciate my service, then do me the favor of actually voting, which is what I spent so much time serving to allow you to do.

If you don't vote, don't tell me how much you appreciate my service, because by not voting, you're pissing all over the sacrifice that I as well as others, did for this country.

Forum List

Back