My personal little nightmare scenario is playing out in real time.

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Desperately searching for a silver lining for Trump's win in November, I was hoping that the Democratic party's deep nationwide debacle would force it to look inward and realize that its cynical commitment to Identity Politics played a significant role in its demise. Maybe the party would realize that it could do just fine electorally by stopping its obsession on splitting us into little grievance groups as part of their decades-long "divide and conquer" approach.

In short, I was hoping that Trump's shocking win would lead to a Reformation of the Democratic Party.

But I knew - and said here many times - that there was one (1) thing that could stop that from happening, and that would be if Trump screwed up so quickly and so completely and so badly that the Democrats would not have to go through a Reformation, that the Regressives who control the party would be able to just jump right back in the saddle in 2018/2020 and continue on with their crusade.

Well, so far, my little nightmare scenario - Trump screwing up bigly in office and the Regressives licking their chops - is playing out just as I feared.

Maybe I'll take up gardening, huh?

:spinner:

Desperately searching for a silver lining for Trump's win in November, I was hoping that the Democratic party's deep nationwide debacle would force it to look inward and realize that its cynical commitment to Identity Politics played a significant role in its demise. Maybe the party would realize that it could do just fine electorally by stopping its obsession on splitting us into little grievance groups as part of their decades-long "divide and conquer" approach.

In short, I was hoping that Trump's shocking win would lead to a Reformation of the Democratic Party.

But I knew - and said here many times - that there was one (1) thing that could stop that from happening, and that would be if Trump screwed up so quickly and so completely and so badly that the Democrats would not have to go through a Reformation, that the Regressives who control the party would be able to just jump right back in the saddle in 2018/2020 and continue on with their crusade.

Well, so far, my little nightmare scenario - Trump screwing up bigly in office and the Regressives licking their chops - is playing out just as I feared.

You do realize that the criticism of those who already hated him; has as much value today, as it did in November, don't you?

Much of what Trump wanted to do with Obamacare, taxes, immigration is dependent on cooperation from his party in the House and Senate.
So far they have let him down BIGLY. Because of this, I won't put all of the blame on him.
Second, instead of simply being the party in opposition, the Dimocrats have acted no better than the alt-left with their "resist, resist, resist" campaign.

You do realize that the criticism of those who already hated him; has as much value today, as it did in November, don't you?
I'm usually really BAD at predicting political stuff, so I guess it's possible that support for him is stronger than it seems, just as in November.

But this sure doesn't look good.

Second, instead of simply being the party in opposition, the Dimocrats have acted no better than the alt-left with their "resist, resist, resist" campaign.
It was the only card they could play.

The most important polls right now are the internals run by GOP congresspeople facing tough races in 2018 and maybe 2020. If they look bad, those folks are gonna keep their backs turned on Trump.

The most important polls right now are the internals run by GOP congresspeople facing tough races in 2018 and maybe 2020. If they look bad, those folks are gonna keep their backs turned on Trump.
A great many of those republicans up for re-election, have their necks on the chopping block, precisely for not backing our duely elected president. Time will tell I suppose.

A great many of those republicans up for re-election, have their necks on the chopping block, precisely for not backing our duely elected president. Time will tell I suppose.
Well, the problem for the GOP is if those guys get primaried by Trump supporters, the Trump supporters win, and Trump's numbers stay low - that's all a recipe for Democratic wins.

And that's why the only way today to get an agenda passed is to have term limits.
Once lawmakers know their job is only temporary, they are likely to perform their duties without always thinking about the next election.

And that's why the only way today to get an agenda passed is to have term limits.
Once lawmakers know their job is only temporary, they are likely to perform their duties without always thinking about the next election.
Absolutely. Imagine how differently these people would behave.

Well, the problem for the GOP is if those guys get primaried by Trump supporters, the Trump supporters win, and Trump's numbers stay low - that's all a recipe for Democratic wins.
Then I guess, for a change... The Dems and I, are hoping for the same outcome...

Then I guess, for a change... The Dems and I, are hoping for the same outcome...
Funny how politics works!

:laugh:

Gardening might be good. You're skilled at digging yourself into deep holes.

Indeed. The right is suffering the same dilemma as the left when it comes to party leadership. The people are fighting to take back control of their party's. Rather than being able to Lord over their constituents like two royal houses over their serfs; the people are fighting back, and telling the party's which direction to move.

The Regressives don't like Mac very much!

I smell troll shit. You need to learn to wipe better. Congratulations on getting iggyd for the duration of this thread. Well done! Better luck, and content next time...

Indeed. The right is suffering the same dilemma as the left when it comes to party leadership. The people are fighting to take back control of their party's. Rather than being able to Lord over their constituents like to royal houses over their serfs; the people are fighting back, and telling the party's which direction to move.
Yeah, the career politicians can't be liking this very much. And of course, social media is a massive driving force behind it all.

I don't wanna get my hopes up, but maybe this could accelerate the creation of another major party or two.

Can you please list Trump's screw ups?

I would, but you wouldn't look at any of them as screwups. So it would be an abject waste of time.

Indeed. The right is suffering the same dilemma as the left when it comes to party leadership. The people are fighting to take back control of their party's. Rather than being able to Lord over their constituents like to royal houses over their serfs; the people are fighting back, and telling the party's which direction to move.
Yeah, the career politicians can't be liking this very much. And of course, social media is a massive driving force behind it all.

I don't wanna get my hopes up, but maybe this could accelerate the creation of another major party or two.
Yeah. It does look like one of two things... The significant evolution of the existing parties, or the rise of some new ones altogether. I think it hinges on whether people can retake control of their parties, or not. If not... Look for both sides to suffer a mass exedous, and the rise of some new parties.

I would, but you wouldn't look at any of them as screwups. So it would be an abject waste of time.
Really? I don't think so.

I suspect your list contains items that are meaningless. Like for instance, his tweeting. If you don't know, Trump's tweets do no harm to anyone.

Flame on!

Forum List

Back