My newest venture: Russian

Kagom

Jan 16, 2006
Vicksburg, MS
I am attempting to learn Russian through a self-teaching guide (which ain't the best thing in the world, but meh) and I'd appreciate it if any of you who can speak and read Russian help out in what ways you can, including pop quizzes, etc.

Otherwise, what d'y'all think?

Learning a new language is the best way to keep a mind fresh! I heard Russian is very difficult, good for you! Are you using a book or software. I've heard good things about:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fargo-Records-022-22-Rosetta-Explorer/dp/B00002S9FO[/ame]

I am attempting to learn Russian through a self-teaching guide (which ain't the best thing in the world, but meh) and I'd appreciate it if any of you who can speak and read Russian help out in what ways you can, including pop quizzes, etc.

Otherwise, what d'y'all think?

Aren't there any Russians in the Bay Area? This might sound odd but instead of butchering the true ways of saying a word(s) go to the source and learn it that way. One thing depending on if you are multi-lingual is the words printed for beginners aren't actually used much and because you are younger the ways one speak to each other are in age category anyways. Like you wouldn't say what up dog to an old man if you had any respect about you because he wouldn’t understand it. So learning from a person can help you over come one way learning and it becomes 2 way learning and it is on the fly. Like thinking automatically how to reply or dreaming. Sorry for the long winded bit but it sounds interesting and I'd also add watching TV helps in mannerisms when you do get around others who speak the same language. Hope it works out.

Sorry for the long winded bit but it sounds interesting and I'd also add watching TV helps in mannerisms when you do get around others who speak the same language. Hope it works out.

True, taking in the language via different mediums is the best if you're serious. When I was in high school taking French I would listen to French music. It helped alot and it was fun!

True, taking in the language via different mediums is the best if you're serious. When I was in high school taking French I would listen to French music. It helped alot and it was fun!

I really want to learn Italian because my wife is Italian and some of her family speak and I'd really like to visit the country. But I don't have much time and I'm older that I was when I learned Japanese. My wife doesn't speak and would do it if only it were easy to remember, but as you know it doesn't work like that so I don't know. But being around the people and whatnot relly takes the edge off. My favorite folk italian song is Funiculi~Funicula it's fun and makes it easy to sing.

Aren't there any Russians in the Bay Area? This might sound odd but instead of butchering the true ways of saying a word(s) go to the source and learn it that way. One thing depending on if you are multi-lingual is the words printed for beginners aren't actually used much and because you are younger the ways one speak to each other are in age category anyways. Like you wouldn't say what up dog to an old man if you had any respect about you because he wouldn’t understand it. So learning from a person can help you over come one way learning and it becomes 2 way learning and it is on the fly. Like thinking automatically how to reply or dreaming. Sorry for the long winded bit but it sounds interesting and I'd also add watching TV helps in mannerisms when you do get around others who speak the same language. Hope it works out.
Bay Area: Yes.

Antioch/Pittsburg: I don't know. It seems the majority of people are either just plain ol' white guys (so to put it) or hispanic.

I'm actually just trying to build up some basic knowledge of the language and then I plan on watching Russian news clips and listening to Russian music. I also have a friend who lives in Russia. Otherwise I am actively searching out someone who speaks Russian within the immediate vicinity (I'm limited to transportation).

Bay Area: Yes.

Antioch/Pittsburg: I don't know. It seems the majority of people are either just plain ol' white guys (so to put it) or hispanic.

I'm actually just trying to build up some basic knowledge of the language and then I plan on watching Russian news clips and listening to Russian music. I also have a friend who lives in Russia. Otherwise I am actively searching out someone who speaks Russian within the immediate vicinity (I'm limited to transportation).

Yeah transportation can kind of limit stuff. I guess my thoughts were in SF, although in you area would be fine as well. never know maybe more than you'd think. And also check those cable stations that have multi-lingual programs, free and sometimes they are sub-titled so it makes it easiers to learn. Yo know you can try it on the peoples...Good luck on that one. I think I know like 3 words in Russian, Smirnoff and nanstravia (sp)nothing that is it and Dos vi donia (sp) good bye

Forum List

Back