My new wooden deck

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
I built a new deck today. Only cost me $800 for the lumber and $200 for the permit. ... :cool:

1619180733216.png

This may be a minor point, but since your "deck" is not permanently affixed to the real estate, you may not have had to get a building permit. I built a somewhat larger deck at my house and did not attach it to the house or embed it into the soil. I never bothered to get a building permit, and was prepared to tell the inspector if the question ever came up that the deck was a temporary structure and not a permanent "improvement."

No one ever asked.

I have never once gotten a permit for a deck.
It can't harm the house, so there is no basis for requiring one.
In Houston, they tried to claim you need a permit just to remove the trap if something fell down the drain.
No one takes that seriously.
The law says permits can only be required if you can cause a danger to others, like with plumbing, gas, or wiring.
And repairs are exempt.

By the way, to treat exposed wood, paint is no good if it is going to get scratched by people walking on it.
Stain is color but evaporates too quick for protection.
Linseed oil is the best preservative. Stinks at first though.

I built a 8' x 12' deck to code, code required I use 6 x 6's instead of 4 x 4's, the thing is ridiculously overbuilt, especially since I used a power post hole digger and ended up wallowing out the holes so wide that I used over 30 bags of concrete for my 4 posts.

Forum List

Back