My New Hobby

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Although I didn't mean to- a friend of mine shamed me into getting back into playing guitar- I never was really a player, but, as with anything, practice improves skill- or talent. Anyway, I had an old Eterna by Yamaha that I couldn't get in tune no matter what I did. Come to find out the truss rod was stripped. How I don't have a clue since I never even knew it had one- LOL- anyway, so began my journey into the world of guitar acquisition, (my NEW hobby- LOL) it began back in April with the purchase of this- Fender CD60S

1597412547749.png

That isn't mine, but it is similar. I changed the saddle to bone and installed brass bridge pins because mahogany, as it turns out, was just too mellow for my taste. I wound up giving it to my friend who shamed me- he likes it. It fits him well. I was going to "leave" it to him when I leave- but, he wanted me to come visit him (he lives 165 miles from me) so I just "left" it to him, in person.

Last edited:
Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (AKA GAS) can be a serious and expensive affliction.

But fun nonetheless.

• Banned
A couple of weeks later I acquired this- Fender CP60s

1597412816032.png

The only thing I've done to it is put Ernie Ball 10-50 strings on it. For a little guitar "Parlor Body" it makes a good sound and has great projection. I'm keeping it for whichever grand kid decides they want to take up playing with a guitar- it's small so it's easier for a kid to handle.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Then, I ran across this one- I LOVE it! Ibanez ALT30

1597413036822.png

It's acoustic electric- oh well- it has a sound that fits my style unplugged (though I have also acquired a mini amp) I prefer it's acoustics. I took it to a Luthier last week to have a bone saddle and nut installed and I installed black tuning machines myself.

• Banned
Then! I found this.

1597413220808.png

This has great! acoustics, absolutely beautiful, to my ears- it's an Alvarez AD60- for the price I'll take it over anything I've heard. 300 bucks!

I played guitar for several years and was fairly decent. But for some reason I always had trouble tuning the instrument. Tuning a guitar was frustrating and took me a long time, so I eventually lost interest.
Then they came out with electronic tuners. It made tuning any guitar a snap, and I started playing again. ... :cool:

• Banned
Then, I was disappointed in this- and I wanted it so bad- but, acoustically it's a dud and even plugged in it just doesn't do anything for me - a Malibu Player

1597413546382.png

• Banned
Okay- screwed up my time line- I got this before I got the Malibu Player
It's a Fender FA235E- acoustic electric with good acoustics and good plugged in sound too

1597413814532.png

Now, I have my eye some others

1597413888247.png

A Gretsch Penguin- beautiful instrument but I haven't played one- it's a Parlor Body style- acoustic electric

An Epiphone Pro Hummingbird in alpine white- from what I've read the sound is great- it's a *cheap* Gibson made in Indonesia- but, all my other ones are too - mass production techniques have improved greatly

1597414164905.png

And this- an Alvarez Folk Body in what they call Obsidian Blue-

1597414314990.png

Being an Alvarez I'm sure it sounds great and the blue color is kind of rare (as in hard to find) so I may pop (hen the time comes) for a Natural finish

Are you just buying guitars or playing them? ... :lol:

I've had I don't know how many guitars in my life, can't keep track. I'd buy one, or two, be excited about getting better, practice hard for... oh... a few days... :lol: ... and then lose interest and sell it. Flat tops, electrics, solid body, hollow body, semi hollow, even had an Aida Banjo, which I actually did get pretty good at. But, sold my last American made Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster and little Marshall micro double stack amp not too long ago... I give up.

Let the GAS begin!

Wait until you get into electrics.
LOL- my buddy I gave the Fender to says I "have the bug"- boy howdy!

I don't think I'll get into electrics- way too many whistles and bells for me and I prefer acoustic- the acoustic electrics are as far as I'll go in that direction since they'll do both.

Are you just buying guitars or playing them?
I call myself playin at playin guitar- I don't have TV anymore and I LOVE playing so I spend at least an hour a day, sometimes more, since April - I've learned several songs since I took it up again- I'm just a thumb strummer so chording is easy to learn- well, relatively- I just learned House of The Rising Sun that has a couple of chords that weren't in my reportoire of cowboy chords so it's been a learning process- I'm working on This Land is Your Land- easy chords but 6! verses!

Each one has it's own personality which makes each one interesting- each has it's own voice and when you capo it it changes :omg: so, that adds challenge to my singing- like I said, it's a new hobby- acquiring- and playin at playin

Forum List

Back