My New Hi-Point C9

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
My new Hi-Point C9 came in a couple of days ago. Maybe I just like an underdog or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, we'll see. The first two things I did was order the lighter sear post spring from Mcarbo and removed the mag (unnecessary in my mind) lock bar. Yup, the trigger is a little gritty but doesn't have the oft reported long, sloppy pull, at least on mine. It's not snappy but it's not terrible. The gun is weighty but that's a result of the size of the slide, made that big because of the zinc alloy used to cast it plus the slide is a little hard to pull back. One guy doing a how it's made video described the slide as "inertially enhanced......"
As for the ergonomics, I have huge hands and I do mean huge and the grip fits fairly well, better than the S&Ws and Rugers I've held recently. When I come from a side position (like it would be in a holster) up to a fighting position the sights automatically line up, not bad for a cheap gun. Also my grip is low enough for me not to worry about slide bite.
Won't be able to get to the range for at least a week, maybe two then I'll see how well it shoots, if there are any fixes I have to apply or not.

HP C9 1.jpg

HP C9 2.jpg

HP C9 3.jpg

This is one fugly gun but almost everyone I've talked with claims they shoot cheap to premium ammo and are very accurate. It will most likely be my truck gun.

From what I have read, it shoots every time that the trigger is pulled.
The main complaint that I have read is that it is ugly, and looks cheap.

My father-in-law bought a .45 Highpoint a few years back and the dealer he purchased from told him if he needed to strip it to clean it he should bring it back in and let them do it. :( He literally admitted that a large number of buyers had had to bring it back in dismantled because they couldn't reassemble it themselves. That kind of put me off Highpoints.

My father-in-law bought a .45 Highpoint a few years back and the dealer he purchased from told him if he needed to strip it to clean it he should bring it back in and let them do it. :( He literally admitted that a large number of buyers had had to bring it back in dismantled because they couldn't reassemble it themselves. That kind of put me off Highpoints.
The only real difference is a roll pin that holds the back to a part that slides, no rear side rails. Sounds to me like the dealer was drumming up unnecessary business to boost his bottom line.........
As for stripping and cleaning most people claim they've never done either and it still shoots anything you put in it. YouTube is full of disassembly/reassembly videos for hi-points.

I don't know...No interest. I grew up with them. I hunted growing up.

I have a 12 gauge, and a .40 S&W for home defense.

Never shoot them though.

Meh...
To each their own. I'm a plinker and a collector, I don't hunt and I don't competition shoot but I love shredding targets. busting bottles, etc.

View attachment 540741
They're cheaper elsewhere, mine was only $170 via my LGS's website. Mine's a C9 but it doesn't say "Yeet Cannon" on it.

Now their carbines are supposed to be super accurate, super reliable and shoot any quality of ammo run through them. I believe they come in 9mm, 10mm and .45 and like the pistols are ugly as sin. You can typically find them for right around $300.
However the field strip is supposed to be a pain in the butt. I know with the C9 there are no side rails to hold the back of the slide on, they have a piece that kinda looks like an upside down lollypop which runs in a channel to hold the back of the slide in place. To remove the slide you have to lock it back and drive out the roll pin holding it in place.

iu

They're cheaper elsewhere, mine was only $170 via my LGS's website. Mine's a C9 but it doesn't say "Yeet Cannon" on it.

Now their carbines are supposed to be super accurate, super reliable and shoot any quality of ammo run through them. I believe they come in 9mm, 10mm and .45 and like the pistols are ugly as sin. You can typically find them for right around $300.
However the field strip is supposed to be a pain in the butt. I know with the C9 there are no side rails to hold the back of the slide on, they have a piece that kinda looks like an upside down lollypop which runs in a channel to hold the back of the slide in place. To remove the slide you have to lock it back and drive out the roll pin holding it in place.

iu
But...but...but..."Yeet Cannon"... :lol:

I've never heard anything but good things about Hi-points... Except the massive slide due to the blowback design.

Didn't know it was an awkward tear down though.

You'll have to give us a range report... but if I get one it'll definitely be the Yeet Cannon... Just for the lolz.

Last edited:
Now their carbines are supposed to be super accurate, super reliable and shoot any quality of ammo run through them. I believe they come in 9mm, 10mm and .45 and like the pistols are ugly as sin
I was next to a young fella with the 9mm carbine at the range and he seemed to be having nothing but trouble out of it. I noticed immediately when he pointed it at me while clearing a FTE and after that he had my attention with numerous FTEs and FTFs. Could have been operator error or a bad magazine. But that was my one close encounter with the carbine model.

I was next to a young fella with the 9mm carbine at the range and he seemed to be having nothing but trouble out of it. I noticed immediately when he pointed it at me while clearing a FTE and after that he had my attention with numerous FTEs and FTFs. Could have been operator error or a bad magazine. But that was my one close encounter with the carbine model.
From what I've read most of their feed problems are mag related. The mags are made to hold .380s and 9 mils, the 9 mils sometimes have a drop nose problem but it's a relatively easy home fix.
They are warrantied for life as well as being 100% American made, Ohio I think

My new Hi-Point C9 came in a couple of days ago. Maybe I just like an underdog or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, we'll see. The first two things I did was order the lighter sear post spring from Mcarbo and removed the mag (unnecessary in my mind) lock bar. Yup, the trigger is a little gritty but doesn't have the oft reported long, sloppy pull, at least on mine. It's not snappy but it's not terrible. The gun is weighty but that's a result of the size of the slide, made that big because of the zinc alloy used to cast it plus the slide is a little hard to pull back. One guy doing a how it's made video described the slide as "inertially enhanced......"
As for the ergonomics, I have huge hands and I do mean huge and the grip fits fairly well, better than the S&Ws and Rugers I've held recently. When I come from a side position (like it would be in a holster) up to a fighting position the sights automatically line up, not bad for a cheap gun. Also my grip is low enough for me not to worry about slide bite.
Won't be able to get to the range for at least a week, maybe two then I'll see how well it shoots, if there are any fixes I have to apply or not.

View attachment 540087

View attachment 540088

View attachment 540089

This is one fugly gun but almost everyone I've talked with claims they shoot cheap to premium ammo and are very accurate. It will most likely be my truck gun.
It seems everyone in America loves automatics except me

they jam

not very often

but just enough to make revolvers a more reliable choice

It seems everyone in America loves automatics except me

they jam

not very often

but just enough to make revolvers a more reliable choice
Revolvers are almost always more reliable, there are some not so great ones out there but for the most part they're highly dependable. The only ones I currently own are Pietta .44 cal Colt reproductions (cap and ball) having sold off all my others years ago when we were having financial difficulties. I am considering a .357 and/or a .22 revolver just for the fun of it.

Also my old Soviet Bloc semis never jam.

Forum List

Back