My lawn

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Ok. So, I have this lawn until the end of January next year. If it was mine then I would get rid of the lawn. The prior tenants did not take care of the lawn. The owner of this property did not take care of the lawn. More importantly, I left a home that was right up against golf course and I haven't had to deal with weeds in a good while. This lawn appears to have been overtaken by weeds. In fact, I have not seen anything like it. I already have weeds growing in this yard. I just pulled one that was about 10 inches. Everybody's yard has brown grass. Although, I drove around and actually saw some kind of painted grass. Who does that?

My yard has a lot of green and it isn't grass. I am torn between attempting to do this myself or hiring TruGreen or other lawn care service. Anyone have experience with TruGreen or battled and won something of this nature?

Weed and Feed.

Hook it up to your hose, and spray the yard.

DO NOT spray any flowers

Weed and Feed, just like me, considers flowers weeds.

If the weeds come back in 2 weeks, spray it again

Weed and Feed.

Hook it up to your hose, and spray the yard.

DO NOT spray any flowers

Weed and Feed, just like me, considers flowers weeds.

If the weeds come back in 2 weeks, spray it again
Need to re-seed too though.

Ok. So, I have this lawn until the end of January next year. If it was mine then I would get rid of the lawn. The prior tenants did not take care of the lawn. The owner of this property did not take care of the lawn. More importantly, I left a home that was right up against golf course and I haven't had to deal with weeds in a good while. This lawn appears to have been overtaken by weeds. In fact, I have not seen anything like it. I already have weeds growing in this yard. I just pulled one that was about 10 inches. Everybody's yard has brown grass. Although, I drove around and actually saw some kind of painted grass. Who does that?

My yard has a lot of green and it isn't grass. I am torn between attempting to do this myself or hiring TruGreen or other lawn care service. Anyone have experience with TruGreen or battled and won something of this nature?
The green painted looking lawn is one that has been treated by a lawn-care company to rid the weeds in the yard....

Organic gardening would mean you need to make a screen box to filter out seeds and roots when de-weeding by hand....that's for us old timers...

The green painted looking lawn is one that has been treated by a lawn-care company to rid the weeds in the yard....

Fantastic!!! I deserved that.

Can you hire some help to get the main work set up where it can be maintained after they do the hard part.
Then you can follow up and do the rest yourself. If it's really discouraging, try a mix of hiring help
and then you taking over from there.

Depends on the lawn what to do..I can't see it and analyze the composite mixture you have....You could scrap down under the lawn and remove it, till it or burn it off to find your finalized product..I never use chemicals if at all possible...

Can you hire some help to get the main work set up where it can be maintained after they do the hard part.
Then you can follow up and do the rest yourself. If it's really discouraging, try a mix of hiring help
and then you taking over from there.

That is not a bad idea at all. Thanks, Emily.

Depends on the lawn what to do..I can't see it and analyze the composite mixture you have....You could scrap down under the lawn and remove it, till it or burn it off to find your finalized product..I never use chemicals if at all possible...

I don't know that I will have that much time to do that and maintain other projects. I just want to get it under control so that when I leave it is not as bad as it is now.

I need to get out there and start my garden..I have woods so I stopped needing too take care of a lawn...I enjoy the wildflowers also...But it looks like a treatment of green foam for you..They can also spray grass seeds on it also..

You might want to consider some other ground cover instead of grass. It can drastically reduce upkeep and can be more environmentally sound.

You might want to consider some other ground cover instead of grass. It can drastically reduce upkeep and can be more environmentally sound.

If it was my property I would ditch the grass altogether.

Grass looks nice and is easy to maintain once the lawn is in shape. When I see pebble yards I think a lazy or crippled person lives there.

I think lawns signal both busy and unimaginative. They use up too much water. Depending on where you live, you are limited to how much water you can use during the summer. It is like a war with the natural landscape.

We rented this place from out of state and it was sight unseen. I need the time to figure out the area. The landlord is in his seventies and has, apparently, been relying on some unreliable people. The handyman they hired was a drunk.......like that. In his case or for anyone that is planning on aging in place a rock garden may not be a bad investment. I think people need to look at what they are capable of doing now and then add 30-40-50 years and ask if they are still going to be able to do the same things.

Try the weed and feed.......................as someone has already suggested...................Without seeing the lawn it's difficult to know what you are dealing with..........................................

I think lawns signal both busy and unimaginative. They use up too much water. Depending on where you live, you are limited to how much water you can use during the summer. It is like a war with the natural landscape.

We rented this place from out of state and it was sight unseen. I need the time to figure out the area. The landlord is in his seventies and has, apparently, been relying on some unreliable people. The handyman they hired was a drunk.......like that. In his case or for anyone that is planning on aging in place a rock garden may not be a bad investment. I think people need to look at what they are capable of doing now and then add 30-40-50 years and ask if they are still going to be able to do the same things.
I'm not a lawn guru and won't water it. I have a lawn but it goes brown in the summer. I have a cordless electric that makes mowing it a breeze when it's in its' full glory.

But a handyman doesn't normally do lawns, sounds like he should have hired lawn maintenance or was relying on the previous tenant.

I'm not a lawn guru and won't water it. I have a lawn but it goes brown in the summer. I have a cordless electric that makes mowing it a breeze when it's in its' full glory.

But a handyman doesn't normally do lawns, sounds like he should have hired lawn maintenance or was relying on the previous tenant.

They were relying on the previous tenant for the yard work. There is a lot going on with this house. The handyman would have repaired the gutter. It's just the foundation that is at stake. I am at war in my head of how much I am willing to do and how much I refuse out of principle. I understand they feel burned by the prior tenants but that is the risk you take with rentals. It's becoming apparent that these folks have never invested in the house and have no intention of investing in this property. They are going to ride it out until it falls down.

Forum List

Back