My Gift to You is This Car Buying Advice

Mojo2

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2013

Contrary to what the current Toyota TV car commercial suggests young couples say within earshot of any dealer personnel, do not announce, "I'm going to buy a car today."

It gives the dealer or salesman an unfair advantage over you when it comes time to negotiate the car's price.

Instead, you should always, in principle, be willing to walk away from the table if you don't think you are getting the deal you want.

Telling them you intend to buy a car today allows them to squeeze a few more bucks, maybe hundreds...maybe thousands, from you because they will know you won't likely walk out without accomplishing your goal.

An important tactic to keep in mind in 2014 and always.

Happy New Year.

M2

Contrary to what the current Toyota TV car commercial suggests young couples say within earshot of any dealer personnel, do not announce, "I'm going to buy a car today."

It gives the dealer or salesman an unfair advantage over you when it comes time to negotiate the car's price.

Instead, you should always, in principle, be willing to walk away from the table if you don't think you are getting the deal you want.

Telling them you intend to buy a car today allows them to squeeze a few more bucks, maybe hundreds...maybe thousands, from you because they will know you won't likely walk out without accomplishing your goal.

An important tactic to keep in mind in 2014 and always.

Happy New Year.

M2

Thanks. :lol: I'm sure I'm not the only woman that knows all that. I always tell them, I am thinking of buying a car within a couple of weeks.

You should see them trip over themselves. :lol:

Here's one of the spots.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6XN6Ex9y4]TV Commercial - Toyota - Happy Holidays - Toyotathon - Today's the Day - YouTube[/ame]

From any negotiation, you should be willing to walk away from any deal, if possible. And you should let the other party let them know that.

And you need to actually do it

On the other hand, if you have done your homework, know what you want, and ARE PREPARED TO BUY IMMEDIATELY, you can use that to great advantage. If you don't know what your trade is worth, aren't sure about financing, aren't sure what you want, you are going to get jerked around for hours on end, and will end up either wasting a lot of time or buying something that you don't really want.

Given how much money is involved, it is astounding how little preparation many people put into this activity. I almost always buy used, but for my last several purchases I have known exactly what I wanted and what I was going to pay, even before the dealer did. I knew about every comparable car within three hundred miles, who was selling it, and what the asking price was. I had printouts from Edmunds, NADA, and KBB on the values of both my trade-ins and the cars I was buying it.

The conversations were very short. "Here's what I'm paying for my next car. Take it or leave it."

My advice is to never ever buy a new car.

Buy a car that is 2 years old with low mileage after having it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

And Pay cash.

There is always more than one way to win a negotiation. I walked into a dealership 2 years ago to buy a car i had already decided on. I told the salesman that I want X vehicle for no more than X price, with these features and I have 10K to put down on it. If you can not meet this price guideline with these options, just say so now and I'll go elsewhere.

Needless to say, I got exactly what I wanted. Which was a brand new car for about 5K less than MSRP, loaded..and a full tank of gas.

It's all about showing them who is the boss and that you mean business.

There's absolutely no good reason to buy a brand new car...

except unless your wife insists on having one...

so go ahead buy it for her...

no matter that she can't drive for shit and will surely make the car look like a beater in less than a couple of years...

there's a certain amount of perverse satisfaction to be had in buying your harping wife a new car and then watching her fuck it up in no time...

And to all you who've shared your tips for dealing with the dealership types, I commend you.

Just remember there ain't no horse that cain't be rode nor a cowboy that cain't be throwed.

;)

BONUS GIFT: I'll throw this in the deal for free.

Absolutely the funniest movie about the car business?

"Used Cars" with Kurt Russell and Jack Warden.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyoaH_pdr3k]Used Cars (1980) - YouTube[/ame]

When the owner of a struggling used car lot is killed, it's up to the lot's hot-shot salesman to save the property from falling into the hands of the owner's ruthless brother and used-car rival. Starring Kurt Russell and Jack Warden.
Directed by Robert Zemeckis.

I always keep Kleenex at hand when I watch this film. I literally cry with laughter from it even after all these years and at least a dozen viewings.

You're welcome.

:)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back