My Dog is a Democrat!

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
My dog ate the cushions off my divan and loveseat in the den's library. I told him No!No! Then, when I was taking out the hundreds of foam pieces, no two alike, to the trash up by the farm to market road, when I got back he had chewed off the plastic zipper pulls on two of the porch cushions and he was tearing out the weathered foam that comforted me on rainy days and apricot sunsets alike.

Then, when I went in to clear the house of his mischief, I noticed my last hold on relaxation was missing. He had made My Pillow disappear forever from sight and refreshment that a good night's sleep can give.

When i went to get a wooden chair from the kitchen, the wood cornices on my lovely antique chair had been chewed off. And upstairs, My Pillow was missing from my bed, but this , he didn't leave ! trace. It didn't just walk away, but it was totally and completely gone.

I thought, Deja Vu!!!! My Reddy is a Democrat. They start out acting like cute little sweet puppies when they run for Congress, and when they get elected, look out, world! They take out everything that brought pleasure to the eye and psyche and make it disappear and blame it on the other dogs to take the onus off themselves. Meh!

To make matters worse, before I figured out about his dismal, retirement fund eating ways, a friend gave me the cutest little 8 - inch long girl puppy who wailed all the way from Trinity to home earning herself the name Song. The next day, the head vet took her first puppy shots case, curious why some little old lady would name her new puppy "Song." She showed him with another wailing session as she peeped on his clean floor with two attendant student vets tasked with sanitizing all 2ccs of yellow stuff.

And a week later, Song girl was eating on the tufts left out on the front porch when I had restuffed the better of two chewed cushion covers with chewed up cushion masses that escaped the mud from recent rains. He reopened and scattered the remains and the fluff has become her sweet obsession.

Anobody else have a dog or puppy who looks okay but is a Democrat once they win yer heart? Plz share your story below remembering that they got the system figured. You earn the living. They live lives of nothing doing and you get to clean it up when you get home from work. Thx. I can't wait to read your stories on how your sweet puppy became a green eyed monster overnight. :up:

“I have only one firm belief about the American political system, and that is this: God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat
“God is “a stern fellow, patriarchal rather than paternal and a great believer in rules and regulations. He holds men strictly accountable for their actions. He has little apparent concern for the material well being of the disadvantaged. ... God is unsentimental. It is very hard to get into God’s heavenly country club.”
Santa Claus is another matter. ... He’s nonthreatening. He’s always cheerful. And he loves animals. He may know who’s been naughty and who’s been nice, but he never does anything about it. He gives everyone everything they want without the thought of a quid pro quo.”

“Santa Claus is preferable to God in every way but one. There is no such thing as Santa Claus.”

-- P.J. O’Rourke “Parliament of Whores.”

There are a great many potential reasons why a dog may be chewing the furniture in your home.
Some of these include:
  • Teething. Young dogs chew on many items around the home in an attempt at easing the discomfort of teething.
  • Strengthening Teeth and Gums. Older dogs may chew a great deal in an attempt to build and maintain strength in their jaws. If your older dog has started chewing suddenly, this could be why.
  • If your dog is bored, they’ll chew – it’s the equivalent of switching on the TV or reading a book for canines.
  • If your dog is worried or afraid, they’ll chew in an attempt at soothing their concerns.
  • In some cases, your dog may be chewing in an attempt at finding nourishment and food. If you catch your dog in the act and they’re not usually chewers, offer them a snack!

Dog Separation Anxiety Can Lead to Furniture Chewing​

Dogs are naturally sociable pack animals, which means that they’re never going to enjoy being left alone. If doing so means that you return to a scene of devastation, you are going to need to learn how to break your dog’s separation anxiety quickly

Separation anxiety comes with a great many symptoms, but chief among them is destructive behavior. Your dog will be fretting and frightened at being left alone and wondering when you might come home – if at all – and this means that they’ll be chewing and chomping at everything in sight as they attempt to settle their nerves.

How to Stop a Dog from Chewing Everything​

Once you have calculated exactly what is causing your dog to munch away on everything in sight, you can start taking steps to put a stop to the behavior.
dog separation anxiety causes destructive behavior

Seek the help and advice of a vet if strictly necessary, but this will probably only be required if you suspect the behavior to be deep-rooted in psychology. By using a process of elimination based on the above causes, you’ll be able to put a stop to your dog’s furniture chewing habits with the right training.

Let’s take a look at some suggestions on how to stop your dog from chewing furniture when left alone based on probable causes.

My Teething Puppy Keeps Chewing the Furniture​

Teething can be a very trying time for puppies. The poor tykes will be in a great deal of discomfort throughout this period of their little lives, and they’ll be keen to ease the ache in their gums by chewing as much as possible.
Chew toys may sate this desire – but there may be no stopping Fido from tackling furniture with their teeth during this period. When you factor in the fact that puppies have a natural urge to chew anyway, and they will be inquisitively exploring the world with their mouths, you have a recipe for a whole lot of chewing.
The best way to avoid this happening is to not leave your puppy alone for any prolonged period of time, which is probably sound advice anyway during these critical early days. You’ll be aiming to get your potentially scared dog to trust you completely, and leaving them alone hours on end will not help that!
Also, try giving your pup plenty of officially sanctioned chew toys during this period, distracting them with such items every time they start edging toward the sofa or a rug. Very cold things will help here, so consider popping a toy into the freezer or trading your puppy’s usual treats out for frozen peas or carrots.

My Older Dog Keeps Chewing the Furniture​

Older dogs that chew are usually doing so for one of two reasons – to develop and strengthen their jaws, or because they are bored and frustrated. Of course, it could be both!
If your pooch has left puppydom behind and is not prone to separation anxiety but still chews everything within reach, the chances are they are looking for something to do. Maybe they’re being left alone for too long and not being taken out for a walk, and thus grow weary of chewing the same toys time and again.

One possible solution for this would be to vary up the contents of your dog’s toy box and lay out a different selection of items to chow down on each day, ensuring that the various means they won’t have time to grow bored of the same toy every day.
how to stop a dog from chewing on wood trim

Another solution could be to hide snacks and treats around the house like a canine treasure hunt, keeping your dog stimulated so they have plenty of ways of staying amused when alone. Or, of course, hire a dog walker to get them out for a long leg stretch while you are otherwise occupied.

Will Bones Stop My Dog from Chewing on the Furniture?​

As we have already covered, dogs are driven to chew by instinct so bringing bones – or anything similar, such as pig’s ears – into their diet is always advisable. This will give them the ability to sate their natural desires safely, that won’t result in a hefty redecoration bill. Despite this, it may not be advisable to populate your home with bones from the butcher while you are not around to supervise your dog.

Firstly, Fido has another natural instinct – to bury and otherwise hide bones. This is a primal predisposition based on the fact that dogs have evolved from living in the wild, where food may have to be hidden from rivals and dug up later. It’s quite possible that you’ll come home to find a stinky bone covered in meat carcass under your pillow or somewhere else that you wouldn’t enjoy.
There’s also a risk of the bone splintering and becoming lodged in your dog’s throat and preventing them from breathing appropriately. This will always happen with cooked bones left over from a meal prepared in the home, so keep these far away from your dog (including emptying the trashcans regularly, if your hound is known to hunt through waste.)
If you’re going to toss your dog a bone to keep their teeth and gums healthy – which, we would like to stress, is very much advisable under the correct circumstances – make sure you do so while you’re there to keep an eye on them. It’s a surefire way of distracting your dog from a tasty-looking armchair leg or cushion!

Homemade Dog Repellent for Furniture​

If you’re keen to prevent your dog from chewing on the furniture while you’re out, there are further steps you can take beyond exhausting them. As dogs are so driven by their noses and mouths, they’ll stay away from something that smells or tastes unappealing. This makes the creation of a homemade spray that can be applied to your furniture an ideal solution for unwanted chewing.
Thankfully, there are all kinds of smells that dogs are repulsed by, many of which are available in the form of essential oils or basic household items. To make your own, fill a spray bottle with water and mix up a selection of all – or even just some – of these oils, substances, and chemicals:
  • Eucalyptus Oil
  • Cinnamon
  • Sour Apple
  • Apple Cider Vinegar, or Traditional Vinegar
  • Citrus Fruits
  • Clove Oil
  • Rubbing Alcohol (aka Isopropyl)
  • Cayenne Pepper or Mustard (not too much – a little will be enough to deter, but too much to irritate your dog’s eyes and nose)
Naturally, these smells won’t be too appealing to human noses either, so don’t be shy about liberally applying some air freshener around the house!

If homemade remedies aren’t your cup of tea, you will able to pick up commercial and pet-safe anti-chewing sprays from major pet stores that perform the same task.

How to Stop a Dog from Chewing on Wood Trim​

Wood trim is arguably the most unsightly target for a dog chewing frenzy, and often a popular one. If your dog is prone to munching away on the frames around your doors or windows, follow some of the steps above to deter any nibbling.
my dog is chewing blanket and sheets

Also be vigilant about ensuring that your dog is not swallowing excessive amounts of paint in the process, or creating wood splinters that they tread into their paws. If your dog is licking or chewing on their feet to excess, this could be the reason why.

How to Stop a Dog from Chewing on Electrical Wires​

Of all doggy chewing behaviors, undoubtedly the riskiest is any propensity for munching on electrical cables. Not only can this be annoying (and lead to some very sketchy picture quality on your TV) but it could also see your dog risking electrocution.
This is more common than you may realize and comes with a variety of symptoms, including:
  • Trouble breathing (either struggling to breathe when lying down or breathing shallowly)
  • A crackling noise that appears to originate from the lung
  • Coughing fits
  • A blue tinge to the skin (also known as cyanosis)
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms when you get home, race them to a vet ASAP.
To prevent a dog from chewing on electrical cables, you should keep them well out of reach. This means elevating them above the height of even the most industrious and inquisitive dog’s teeth, or at the very least, applying tape to mask the wires and prevent them from getting loose.
Also, you could spray a deterring scent, as per our advice above – and if you’re particularly concerned, unplug every electrical appliance possible while you’re out of the house. That won’t prevent any chewing, but it will at least make the grazing on cables less likely to end in electrocution.

My Dog is Chewing My Blanket and Sheets​

This is another example of anxious behavior and one that can and should be coached out of your dog. Your pooch may wander up to your bedroom in search of a familiar and comforting scent – which your bedding will provide. After all, we spent several hours in bed each night, leaving all kinds of smells behind in the form of sweat and anything else. Once your dog starts sucking on a blanket, it’s akin to a child that sucks on their thumb.

Some breeds are more prone to chewing blankets and sheets than others, most notably Dachshunds and Doberman Pinschers. Whatever breed your own pooch falls under, however, they may exhibit this kind of behavior if they don’t like being left alone. There’s nothing wrong with a dog enjoying a blanket as they seek something soft and cozy – try to encourage them to keep their teeth to themselves!

Fabric Sucking​

The act of suckling at fabric-covered types of furniture, such as a sofa or an armchair, is known as fabric sucking.
It’s believed that dogs that engage in this behavior were removed from their mother before they were ready (no puppy should be separated from their mother until they are at least eight weeks old), and not being weaned appropriately.
The sucking on fabric is an attempt at replicating the experience of gaining nutrients from their mother’s teat, but obviously, nothing is released. This creates a form of canine OCD as they continually attempt to extract something – anything – from the blanket, without ever achieving this goal. Thankfully the habit can be broken with sufficient encouragement, attention, and training.

My Dog Keeps Chewing My Shoes​

In addition to furniture and bedding, there is one other favored feast for any dog – any pairs of slippers and shoes that may be left lying around the floor of your home. Just what is it about an old – or comparatively new and expensive! – pair of footwear that drives your dog so crazy?
The answer is pretty simple when we think about it. Many facets of doggy behavior are driven by smell, and it’s familiar aromas that provide comfort for a canine. Dogs are also obviously based very low to the ground and encouraged to walk to heel, meaning that they are most familiar with the lowest extremities of our body. We may be keen to avoid anything that smells like our feet (or those of our spouse!), but for a dog, it’s the purest form of perfume.
When we factor in the fact that dogs chew for comfort and self-soothing, it soon becomes clear why they’re so drawn to our shoes when we leave them alone. A dog will hunt down footwear in the search for something that reminds them of their beloved human, and a pair of shoes or slippers will be the perfect tonic.

In addition to this, your shoes provide a potted history of where you have been all day. This will stimulate their memory when they pick up a scent of their favorite park or woodland walk or excite them about a possible future adventure. The fact that quality leather footwear will take a while to chomp through and provide hours of entertainment is just a bonus.
homemade dog repellent for furniture

To avoid this behavior, leave your footwear on an elevated shelf or behind closed doors when you’re not home. Do not scold or shout at your dog when they do start tucking into your shoes, though. Shouting at your pet equals attention in their mind, and losing your cool will help nobody.

How to Punish a Dog for Chewing Furniture​

Shouting and scolding are no good as physical punishment is a strict no-no. You can’t leave a dog locked up in an unfurnished room every time you go out – that’s just cruel. So, how do you punishing a dog for chewing the furniture when leaving them to their own devices? This is an easy one to answer – you don’t!

Undesirable behavior in dogs should never be punished, and always ignored. It doesn’t matter if you’re convinced that your dog chewed your furniture deliberately as an act of sabotage. They didn’t, and that look of shame that you’re convinced belies their guilt is a fallacy.
What’s more, if you’ve discovered that your dog has been on a chewing frenzy while you’ve been out, it will have been a while since they did so. This means that if you decide to issue a punishment, they won’t understand why you’re so angry – dogs live in the moment and won’t think back to something they did hours ago. This, in turn, could lead to all kinds of confusion, and potentially dangerous misunderstandings. If your dog has just eliminated in the garden, for example, they might think that this is what has left you so upset and avoid doing so in the future.
In addition to this, don’t leave your dog muzzled while you are out in an attempt at preventing them from chewing on furniture. Not only this is cruel and unsafe (if you place food in the muzzle to tempt your dog into wearing it, you will not be around to help if they have any mishaps involving choking), but it will give your pet yet another reason to be anxious and worried about the fact that you’re not home. This will increase unwelcome behavior when you do return, not put a stop to it, and greatly increase the odds of your furry friend turning your house into an all-you-can-eat buffet during your next absence.

What Should I Do if I Catch My Dog Chewing Furniture?​

Instead of punishment, take a prevention-over-cure approach to your dog chewing the furniture of your home. If you come home and catch them in the act, very gently guide them away from the area that they are chewing and distract them with attention, treats, and toys.
It’s important that you time this correctly so that your dog does not think they are being rewarded for chewing furniture, but this is where that short-term memory association of your canine companion comes in handy. Once you have them away from the offending area, offer a stimulating toy (maybe something that involves a tug-of-war, so you have their complete attention). Within a few seconds, Fido will have completely forgotten about the previously fascinating chair leg or blanket that he was determined to gnaw a hole through!

A deterrent is always better than punishment, and you can save your relationship with your dog a whole lot of heartbreaking strain by not falling out over something so avoidable. Find out why your dog is chewing furniture and take the necessary action, and then chew-proof your home following the advice above.
If you’re patient and ensure that you handle chewing within the appropriate way, you’ll enjoy a happier relationship with your hound – and a home devoid of decorative tooth marks! Just remember, your dog is not chewing the furniture because they have a vendetta against you. It’s all behavior with a root cause that can be coached out of your canine.
There are some dog breeds that can be left alone during the d

To add Dogs belong outside in a kennel or dog house in a well-secured back yard. Only let them in the house for short periods of time trained to behave or if they are sick and need attention. My parents would get rid of a dog quick that didn't behave. Mostly with a bullet. All the dogs I had were good little fascist followers. ;) Early and proper training is important to how a dog will behave.

Last edited:
My dog ate the cushions off my divan and loveseat in the den's library. I told him No!No! Then, when I was taking out the hundreds of foam pieces, no two alike, to the trash up by the farm to market road, when I got back he had chewed off the plastic zipper pulls on two of the porch cushions and he was tearing out the weathered foam that comforted me on rainy days and apricot sunsets alike.

Then, when I went in to clear the house of his mischief, I noticed my last hold on relaxation was missing. He had made My Pillow disappear forever from sight and refreshment that a good night's sleep can give.

When i went to get a wooden chair from the kitchen, the wood cornices on my lovely antique chair had been chewed off. And upstairs, My Pillow was missing from my bed, but this , he didn't leave ! trace. It didn't just walk away, but it was totally and completely gone.

I thought, Deja Vu!!!! My Reddy is a Democrat. They start out acting like cute little sweet puppies when they run for Congress, and when they get elected, look out, world! They take out everything that brought pleasure to the eye and psyche and make it disappear and blame it on the other dogs to take the onus off themselves. Meh!

To make matters worse, before I figured out about his dismal, retirement fund eating ways, a friend gave me the cutest little 8 - inch long girl puppy who wailed all the way from Trinity to home earning herself the name Song. The next day, the head vet took her first puppy shots case, curious why some little old lady would name her new puppy "Song." She showed him with another wailing session as she peeped on his clean floor with two attendant student vets tasked with sanitizing all 2ccs of yellow stuff.

And a week later, Song girl was eating on the tufts left out on the front porch when I had restuffed the better of two chewed cushion covers with chewed up cushion masses that escaped the mud from recent rains. He reopened and scattered the remains and the fluff has become her sweet obsession.

Anobody else have a dog or puppy who looks okay but is a Democrat once they win yer heart? Plz share your story below remembering that they got the system figured. You earn the living. They live lives of nothing doing and you get to clean it up when you get home from work. Thx. I can't wait to read your stories on how your sweet puppy became a green eyed monster overnight. :up:
Hmmmm......I thought you meant he can lick his own ballz

No, my little 17 year old mini Aussie is definitely a Republican! She'd learn to shoot if she had opposable thumbs, and she has always been a fine guard dog. If she doesn't know you and you walk in the front door, she must be restrained from taking your leg off. She's very protective.

She does, however, lean slightly democrat when she poops on the floor and looks at me as if to say, "Yeah. I did that. So what? Put me in jail."

To add Dogs belong outside in a kennel or dog house in a well-secured back yard. Only let them in the house for short periods of time trained to behave or if they are sick and need attention. My parents would get rid of a dog quick that didn't behave. Mostly with a bullet. All the dogs I had were good little fascist followers. ;) Early and proper training is important to how a dog will behave.
I disagree
Most dogs today are family members and do best with humans.
If you keep a dog outside all the time, why even bother to have a dog?

I had one like that. I shot it. Bye Bye pipsqueak. Useseless.
Wish I had some vietcong here. I coulda given them some meat.If it aint a molosser type it's a useless piece of shit.

I have a shih-tzu and a cat that is mostly black. Given the name, I think most people realize that shih-tzus are asian dogs.

And now that I think about it, she could be a democrat. Like the dem thugs of large dem controlled cities, she waits and then attacks without warning knocking her poor unsuspecting black brother to the ground after blindsiding him with a whack across the head. It's like the whole dem blacks attacking asians but in reverse with the asians attacking the poor innocent black cat for no reason.

Consider yourself lucky

My Pillow causes cancer
Is that the best lie you Demmies can come up with to tarnish a loyal American conservative? It took years of agonizing forensics to source the RussiaRussiaRussia fibbie to the witch cauldron of Hillary C
There are a great many potential reasons why a dog may be chewing the furniture in your home.
Some of these include:
  • Teething. Young dogs chew on many items around the home in an attempt at easing the discomfort of teething.
  • Strengthening Teeth and Gums. Older dogs may chew a great deal in an attempt to build and maintain strength in their jaws. If your older dog has started chewing suddenly, this could be why.
  • If your dog is bored, they’ll chew – it’s the equivalent of switching on the TV or reading a book for canines.
  • If your dog is worried or afraid, they’ll chew in an attempt at soothing their concerns.
  • In some cases, your dog may be chewing in an attempt at finding nourishment and food. If you catch your dog in the act and they’re not usually chewers, offer them a snack!

Dog Separation Anxiety Can Lead to Furniture Chewing​

Dogs are naturally sociable pack animals, which means that they’re never going to enjoy being left alone. If doing so means that you return to a scene of devastation, you are going to need to learn how to break your dog’s separation anxiety quickly

Separation anxiety comes with a great many symptoms, but chief among them is destructive behavior. Your dog will be fretting and frightened at being left alone and wondering when you might come home – if at all – and this means that they’ll be chewing and chomping at everything in sight as they attempt to settle their nerves.

How to Stop a Dog from Chewing Everything​

Once you have calculated exactly what is causing your dog to munch away on everything in sight, you can start taking steps to put a stop to the behavior.
dog separation anxiety causes destructive behavior

Seek the help and advice of a vet if strictly necessary, but this will probably only be required if you suspect the behavior to be deep-rooted in psychology. By using a process of elimination based on the above causes, you’ll be able to put a stop to your dog’s furniture chewing habits with the right training.

Let’s take a look at some suggestions on how to stop your dog from chewing furniture when left alone based on probable causes.

My Teething Puppy Keeps Chewing the Furniture​

Teething can be a very trying time for puppies. The poor tykes will be in a great deal of discomfort throughout this period of their little lives, and they’ll be keen to ease the ache in their gums by chewing as much as possible.
Chew toys may sate this desire – but there may be no stopping Fido from tackling furniture with their teeth during this period. When you factor in the fact that puppies have a natural urge to chew anyway, and they will be inquisitively exploring the world with their mouths, you have a recipe for a whole lot of chewing.
The best way to avoid this happening is to not leave your puppy alone for any prolonged period of time, which is probably sound advice anyway during these critical early days. You’ll be aiming to get your potentially scared dog to trust you completely, and leaving them alone hours on end will not help that!
Also, try giving your pup plenty of officially sanctioned chew toys during this period, distracting them with such items every time they start edging toward the sofa or a rug. Very cold things will help here, so consider popping a toy into the freezer or trading your puppy’s usual treats out for frozen peas or carrots.

My Older Dog Keeps Chewing the Furniture​

Older dogs that chew are usually doing so for one of two reasons – to develop and strengthen their jaws, or because they are bored and frustrated. Of course, it could be both!
If your pooch has left puppydom behind and is not prone to separation anxiety but still chews everything within reach, the chances are they are looking for something to do. Maybe they’re being left alone for too long and not being taken out for a walk, and thus grow weary of chewing the same toys time and again.

One possible solution for this would be to vary up the contents of your dog’s toy box and lay out a different selection of items to chow down on each day, ensuring that the various means they won’t have time to grow bored of the same toy every day.
how to stop a dog from chewing on wood trim

Another solution could be to hide snacks and treats around the house like a canine treasure hunt, keeping your dog stimulated so they have plenty of ways of staying amused when alone. Or, of course, hire a dog walker to get them out for a long leg stretch while you are otherwise occupied.

Will Bones Stop My Dog from Chewing on the Furniture?​

As we have already covered, dogs are driven to chew by instinct so bringing bones – or anything similar, such as pig’s ears – into their diet is always advisable. This will give them the ability to sate their natural desires safely, that won’t result in a hefty redecoration bill. Despite this, it may not be advisable to populate your home with bones from the butcher while you are not around to supervise your dog.

Firstly, Fido has another natural instinct – to bury and otherwise hide bones. This is a primal predisposition based on the fact that dogs have evolved from living in the wild, where food may have to be hidden from rivals and dug up later. It’s quite possible that you’ll come home to find a stinky bone covered in meat carcass under your pillow or somewhere else that you wouldn’t enjoy.
There’s also a risk of the bone splintering and becoming lodged in your dog’s throat and preventing them from breathing appropriately. This will always happen with cooked bones left over from a meal prepared in the home, so keep these far away from your dog (including emptying the trashcans regularly, if your hound is known to hunt through waste.)
If you’re going to toss your dog a bone to keep their teeth and gums healthy – which, we would like to stress, is very much advisable under the correct circumstances – make sure you do so while you’re there to keep an eye on them. It’s a surefire way of distracting your dog from a tasty-looking armchair leg or cushion!

Homemade Dog Repellent for Furniture​

If you’re keen to prevent your dog from chewing on the furniture while you’re out, there are further steps you can take beyond exhausting them. As dogs are so driven by their noses and mouths, they’ll stay away from something that smells or tastes unappealing. This makes the creation of a homemade spray that can be applied to your furniture an ideal solution for unwanted chewing.
Thankfully, there are all kinds of smells that dogs are repulsed by, many of which are available in the form of essential oils or basic household items. To make your own, fill a spray bottle with water and mix up a selection of all – or even just some – of these oils, substances, and chemicals:
  • Eucalyptus Oil
  • Cinnamon
  • Sour Apple
  • Apple Cider Vinegar, or Traditional Vinegar
  • Citrus Fruits
  • Clove Oil
  • Rubbing Alcohol (aka Isopropyl)
  • Cayenne Pepper or Mustard (not too much – a little will be enough to deter, but too much to irritate your dog’s eyes and nose)
Naturally, these smells won’t be too appealing to human noses either, so don’t be shy about liberally applying some air freshener around the house!

If homemade remedies aren’t your cup of tea, you will able to pick up commercial and pet-safe anti-chewing sprays from major pet stores that perform the same task.

How to Stop a Dog from Chewing on Wood Trim​

Wood trim is arguably the most unsightly target for a dog chewing frenzy, and often a popular one. If your dog is prone to munching away on the frames around your doors or windows, follow some of the steps above to deter any nibbling.
my dog is chewing blanket and sheets

Also be vigilant about ensuring that your dog is not swallowing excessive amounts of paint in the process, or creating wood splinters that they tread into their paws. If your dog is licking or chewing on their feet to excess, this could be the reason why.

How to Stop a Dog from Chewing on Electrical Wires​

Of all doggy chewing behaviors, undoubtedly the riskiest is any propensity for munching on electrical cables. Not only can this be annoying (and lead to some very sketchy picture quality on your TV) but it could also see your dog risking electrocution.
This is more common than you may realize and comes with a variety of symptoms, including:
  • Trouble breathing (either struggling to breathe when lying down or breathing shallowly)
  • A crackling noise that appears to originate from the lung
  • Coughing fits
  • A blue tinge to the skin (also known as cyanosis)
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms when you get home, race them to a vet ASAP.
To prevent a dog from chewing on electrical cables, you should keep them well out of reach. This means elevating them above the height of even the most industrious and inquisitive dog’s teeth, or at the very least, applying tape to mask the wires and prevent them from getting loose.
Also, you could spray a deterring scent, as per our advice above – and if you’re particularly concerned, unplug every electrical appliance possible while you’re out of the house. That won’t prevent any chewing, but it will at least make the grazing on cables less likely to end in electrocution.

My Dog is Chewing My Blanket and Sheets​

This is another example of anxious behavior and one that can and should be coached out of your dog. Your pooch may wander up to your bedroom in search of a familiar and comforting scent – which your bedding will provide. After all, we spent several hours in bed each night, leaving all kinds of smells behind in the form of sweat and anything else. Once your dog starts sucking on a blanket, it’s akin to a child that sucks on their thumb.

Some breeds are more prone to chewing blankets and sheets than others, most notably Dachshunds and Doberman Pinschers. Whatever breed your own pooch falls under, however, they may exhibit this kind of behavior if they don’t like being left alone. There’s nothing wrong with a dog enjoying a blanket as they seek something soft and cozy – try to encourage them to keep their teeth to themselves!

Fabric Sucking​

The act of suckling at fabric-covered types of furniture, such as a sofa or an armchair, is known as fabric sucking.
It’s believed that dogs that engage in this behavior were removed from their mother before they were ready (no puppy should be separated from their mother until they are at least eight weeks old), and not being weaned appropriately.
The sucking on fabric is an attempt at replicating the experience of gaining nutrients from their mother’s teat, but obviously, nothing is released. This creates a form of canine OCD as they continually attempt to extract something – anything – from the blanket, without ever achieving this goal. Thankfully the habit can be broken with sufficient encouragement, attention, and training.

My Dog Keeps Chewing My Shoes​

In addition to furniture and bedding, there is one other favored feast for any dog – any pairs of slippers and shoes that may be left lying around the floor of your home. Just what is it about an old – or comparatively new and expensive! – pair of footwear that drives your dog so crazy?
The answer is pretty simple when we think about it. Many facets of doggy behavior are driven by smell, and it’s familiar aromas that provide comfort for a canine. Dogs are also obviously based very low to the ground and encouraged to walk to heel, meaning that they are most familiar with the lowest extremities of our body. We may be keen to avoid anything that smells like our feet (or those of our spouse!), but for a dog, it’s the purest form of perfume.
When we factor in the fact that dogs chew for comfort and self-soothing, it soon becomes clear why they’re so drawn to our shoes when we leave them alone. A dog will hunt down footwear in the search for something that reminds them of their beloved human, and a pair of shoes or slippers will be the perfect tonic.

In addition to this, your shoes provide a potted history of where you have been all day. This will stimulate their memory when they pick up a scent of their favorite park or woodland walk or excite them about a possible future adventure. The fact that quality leather footwear will take a while to chomp through and provide hours of entertainment is just a bonus.
homemade dog repellent for furniture

To avoid this behavior, leave your footwear on an elevated shelf or behind closed doors when you’re not home. Do not scold or shout at your dog when they do start tucking into your shoes, though. Shouting at your pet equals attention in their mind, and losing your cool will help nobody.

How to Punish a Dog for Chewing Furniture​

Shouting and scolding are no good as physical punishment is a strict no-no. You can’t leave a dog locked up in an unfurnished room every time you go out – that’s just cruel. So, how do you punishing a dog for chewing the furniture when leaving them to their own devices? This is an easy one to answer – you don’t!

Undesirable behavior in dogs should never be punished, and always ignored. It doesn’t matter if you’re convinced that your dog chewed your furniture deliberately as an act of sabotage. They didn’t, and that look of shame that you’re convinced belies their guilt is a fallacy.
What’s more, if you’ve discovered that your dog has been on a chewing frenzy while you’ve been out, it will have been a while since they did so. This means that if you decide to issue a punishment, they won’t understand why you’re so angry – dogs live in the moment and won’t think back to something they did hours ago. This, in turn, could lead to all kinds of confusion, and potentially dangerous misunderstandings. If your dog has just eliminated in the garden, for example, they might think that this is what has left you so upset and avoid doing so in the future.
In addition to this, don’t leave your dog muzzled while you are out in an attempt at preventing them from chewing on furniture. Not only this is cruel and unsafe (if you place food in the muzzle to tempt your dog into wearing it, you will not be around to help if they have any mishaps involving choking), but it will give your pet yet another reason to be anxious and worried about the fact that you’re not home. This will increase unwelcome behavior when you do return, not put a stop to it, and greatly increase the odds of your furry friend turning your house into an all-you-can-eat buffet during your next absence.

What Should I Do if I Catch My Dog Chewing Furniture?​

Instead of punishment, take a prevention-over-cure approach to your dog chewing the furniture of your home. If you come home and catch them in the act, very gently guide them away from the area that they are chewing and distract them with attention, treats, and toys.
It’s important that you time this correctly so that your dog does not think they are being rewarded for chewing furniture, but this is where that short-term memory association of your canine companion comes in handy. Once you have them away from the offending area, offer a stimulating toy (maybe something that involves a tug-of-war, so you have their complete attention). Within a few seconds, Fido will have completely forgotten about the previously fascinating chair leg or blanket that he was determined to gnaw a hole through!

A deterrent is always better than punishment, and you can save your relationship with your dog a whole lot of heartbreaking strain by not falling out over something so avoidable. Find out why your dog is chewing furniture and take the necessary action, and then chew-proof your home following the advice above.
If you’re patient and ensure that you handle chewing within the appropriate way, you’ll enjoy a happier relationship with your hound – and a home devoid of decorative tooth marks! Just remember, your dog is not chewing the furniture because they have a vendetta against you. It’s all behavior with a root cause that can be coached out of your canine.
There are some dog breeds that can be left alone during the d
Thanks for sharing that shoe-fits common sense about why a dog would eat three couches in less than a year. Mea culpa. Today I'm going to put on my shoes, find a leash and a sling for my Reddy boy and young Miss Song, then walk fence, lake, woods and fields with the puppies every day for a week and see if that can put a dent in delinquent damage I caused by online Spanish lessons, dealing with the national dysfunctional Congress push for single party rule that could cause a 30s style depression from which taxpayers may never escape starting now. Be back when my feet are so sore I have to quit walking. Mwah to yer face for a 5 star post that well could spur a trip to the upholstery shop that picks up and delivers if there is such a business. :thup:

I don't really know what to tell you beyond what someone else mentioned about separation anxiety and teething or gum issues.

But I'm sure they probably paid for their misdeeds the next day :tongue:

Is that the best lie you Demmies can come up with to tarnish a loyal American conservative? It took years of agonizing forensics to source the RussiaRussiaRussia fibbie to the witch cauldron of Hillary C

I have as much proof that My Pillow causes cancer as Lindell does that the election was stolen

Each has equal merit

I have as much proof that My Pillow causes cancer as Lindell does that the election was stolen

Each has equal merit
Actually according to my sources getting enough sleep at night improves people's immune systems to fight against all diseases including cancer which is an autoimmune disease. This was confirmed by nutritional science that thoughtfully includes sleep deprivation studies along with the role in human health and longevity. I'm so proud of the nutritional scientists in the early 80's at Oregon State University who handed me a lifelong passion for human health issues. Fighting disease with food is neck and neck with medical pharmacological medicine that saves people's lives who are blissfully unconcerned with prevention/avoidance of self care rooted in good old fashioned common sense.

You should laugh more. You will add years to your life. :thanks:

SocialistDog.jpg

Forum List

Back