Must-pass defense policy legislation hit a fresh snag as GOP blocked the bill, with no clear path to resolving a partisan dispute over amendments

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015

here are the details from the article:

An effort to cut off debate on the Senate version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act resulted in a 45-51 vote, well short of the 60 votes needed to move the legislation forward.

Majority Leader Chuck Schumer criticized Republicans for “halting the process” over a handful of GOP senators not getting votes.

“For a while now Republicans have claimed they wanted to pass the National Defense Authorization Act immediately,” Schumer said following the vote. “But a few moments ago, Republicans just blocked legislation to support the troops, support our families, keep Americans safe. Republican dysfunction has again derailed bipartisan progress.”

Ahead of Monday’s procedural vote, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed to oppose advancing the bill further without progress on amendments, citing GOP calls for votes on measures such as sanctions over Russia's Nord Stream 2 pipeline to Germany.

"Considering sanctions on the pipeline that fuels Putin's encroachment over Europe, including provisions from Senator Jim Risch, that closely mirror language that the House added unanimously is certainly worth the Senate's time," McConnell said.

All Republicans except Maine Sen. Susan Collins voted to filibuster the measure. A handful of Democrats opposed advancing the legislation, while Schumer voted no in order to bring up a procedural motion to reconsider the vote at a later time.

McConnell criticized Schumer on the floor for delaying debate on the bill for months after it was approved by the Armed Services Committee and for moving to cut off debate without additional amendment votes. But it was objections from GOP senators that scuttled votes on nearly 20 amendments from senators in both parties before the Thanksgiving recess.

A deal forged by Senate Armed Services Chair Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and ranking Republican Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma to hold roll call votes on an array of amendments collapsed the week before Thanksgiving as seven Republicans objected to protest the exclusion of their proposals.

Among the objectors, Risch, the top Senate Foreign Relations Republican, and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) called for a vote on their Nord Stream 2 sanctions proposal.

With the clock ticking, Risch, who objected this month in order to force a vote on his pipeline sanctions proposal, openly wondered about the path forward.

"I’m just astounded by where we are, on the cusp of December. I don’t know how this gets done,” Risch said. "What’s the path forward? I don’t know. I truly don’t."

An effort to cut off debate on the Senate version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act resulted in a 45-51 vote, well short of the 60 votes needed to move the legislation forward.

Majority Leader Chuck Schumer criticized Republicans for “halting the process” over a handful of GOP senators not getting votes.

“For a while now Republicans have claimed they wanted to pass the National Defense Authorization Act immediately,” Schumer said following the vote. “But a few moments ago, Republicans just blocked legislation to support the troops, support our families, keep Americans safe. Republican dysfunction has again derailed bipartisan progress.”

Ahead of Monday’s procedural vote, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed to oppose advancing the bill further without progress on amendments, citing GOP calls for votes on measures such as sanctions over Russia's Nord Stream 2 pipeline to Germany.

"Considering sanctions on the pipeline that fuels Putin's encroachment over Europe, including provisions from Senator Jim Risch, that closely mirror language that the House added unanimously is certainly worth the Senate's time," McConnell said.

All Republicans except Maine Sen. Susan Collins voted to filibuster the measure. A handful of Democrats opposed advancing the legislation, while Schumer voted no in order to bring up a procedural motion to reconsider the vote at a later time.

McConnell criticized Schumer on the floor for delaying debate on the bill for months after it was approved by the Armed Services Committee and for moving to cut off debate without additional amendment votes. But it was objections from GOP senators that scuttled votes on nearly 20 amendments from senators in both parties before the Thanksgiving recess.

A deal forged by Senate Armed Services Chair Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and ranking Republican Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma to hold roll call votes on an array of amendments collapsed the week before Thanksgiving as seven Republicans objected to protest the exclusion of their proposals.

Among the objectors, Risch, the top Senate Foreign Relations Republican, and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) called for a vote on their Nord Stream 2 sanctions proposal.

With the clock ticking, Risch, who objected this month in order to force a vote on his pipeline sanctions proposal, openly wondered about the path forward.

"I’m just astounded by where we are, on the cusp of December. I don’t know how this gets done,” Risch said. "What’s the path forward? I don’t know. I truly don’t."

Republicans to our troops, drop dead.

So, the way I understand it, the hold up is not about what is in it, but what riders for sanction should be added to it, so the riders have become a poison pill, just to keep it from being passed. Typical :spank:

In case any of the partisans around here on either side, actually give a damn what's actually in it, here is a link to it. It's about 40 pages if reading scares anybody.

So our military will not be funded because some republican senators want to vote on something that has nothing to do with the military.

A pipeline and sanctions have nothing to do with the military.

Why are they putting an amendment on the military budget that has absolutely nothing to do with the military?

That said, let the republicans prevent funding for our military.

It just shows that the republicans only care about our military as far as they can use them to their political advantage.

But then, that's what they do with everything.

So our military will not be funded because some republican senators want to vote on something that has nothing to do with the military.

Why are they putting an amendment on the military budget that has absolutely nothing to do with the military?

It just shows that the republicans only care about our military as far as they can use them to their political advantage.

You’re so full of shit. Plenty of times the budget hasn’t been met, and not once have military not been paid. Once budget is agreed on, military and Fed civilians always get backpay, in other words a free paid vacation.

1. Xiden approved the Nord Stream 2 pipeline so Putin could sell gas to Germany.
2. That gave Putin a ton of cash to modernize his military, much of which is sitting on the Ukraine's border.
3. That's what this has to do with our military. Do you want to face a more powerful Russian military, or a less powerful Russian military?

This whole Nord Stream 2 bullshit is the epitome of American arrogance.

What gives us the right to tell our allies where they are allowed to buy their NG and punish them for not obeying us?

How would you morons feel about it if Germany and France and the UK had sanctioned US companies involved in the Keystone Pipeline?

You’re so full of shit. Plenty of times the budget hasn’t been met, and not once have military not been paid. Once budget is agreed on, military and Fed civilians always get backpay, in other words a free paid vacation.

Can you list the times the NDAA was not passed?

This whole Nord Stream 2 bullshit is the epitome of American arrogance.
What gives us the right to tell our allies where they are allowed to buy their NG and punish them for not obeying us?
How would you morons feel about it if Germany and France and the UK had sanctioned US companies involved in the Keystone Pipeline?
When we US taxpayers pay over $24b a year to keep US troops in the EU to protect them from Russia, and then they buy gas from Russia?! That makes no sense. We should bring US troops home and save $24b a year.
The EU can sanction US companies building the KeystoneXL pipeline any time they want, it would have no effect.

When we US taxpayers pay over $24b a year to keep US troops in the EU to protect them from Russia, and then they buy gas from Russia?! That makes no sense. We should bring US troops home and save $24b a year.

It is so cute how naïve you are. You think we keep troops in Europe to protect them? :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

But I do agree we need to bring them all home.

Can you list the times the NDAA was not passed?
There has been plenty of times when it was stalled. There have been times were I had to work while the rest of the government had off (emergency essential work no matter what), and everyone got back paid. In the end a bill will always get passed, so spare us the drama and feigned outrage over “soldiers not getting paid”.

There has been plenty of times when it was stalled. There have been times were I had to work while the rest of the government had off (emergency essential work no matter what), and everyone got back paid. In the end a bill will always get passed, so spare us the drama and feigned outrage over “soldiers not getting paid”

You are conflating the budget with the NDAA....they are not the same thing.

As one of the Third Way posters you are off to a bad start toward compromise with the name calling

Thats no way to bring Americans together

Last edited:
As one of the Third Way posters you are off to a bad start toward compromise with the name calling

Thats no way to brong Americans together

It is a lost cause, you all love our tribes too damn much.

It is a lost cause, you all love our tribes too damn much.
Its not even clear what you are so angry about

Do you love the bill so much just, exactly as it sits that cant even discuss it without hurling insults?

New Topics

Forum List

Back