Music POLL

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I stole this direct from another message board, but I liked it a lot, thought you guys might, too.

1. What song is stuck in your head RIGHT NOW?

2. Who do you think is/are the most overrated artist/group in history? List as many as desired.

3. Now name one song by them that you actually, begrudgingly like.

4. Who is the most UNDERrated artist/group? List as many as you like.

5. If you could be instantly granted two tickets to the show of your choice, who would you see, and who would you take with you?

6. If you were a rockstar, what would your stage outfit be?

7. Name your least favorite genre of music, and then name your favorite song(s) and/or artists working within that genre. I.e. I hate country, but I looooove Dolly Parton.

8. The rag mags are all about the Strokes and how they're revolutionizing mainstream music and whatnot, but who do YOU think is REALLY the next musical savior?

9. What song lyric most describes the way you're currently feeling about life?

10. Is it better to burn out, or to fade away, and why?

11. What's your favorite song(s) to listen to when you're angry? Lusty? Depressed? Ready to partaaaay?

12. If you were standing outside your estranged beloved's house wearing a trench coat and blasting "your song" on the boombox you hold aloft over your head, what song would you choose to play to seduce your lovah back into your arms?

13. Freestyle a four-line verse about how bad-ass you are.

14. Now battle YOURSELF with a four-line verse that says how much badder-asseder You (Question #14 You, that is) are than Question # 13 You is.

15. Are all pop songs really about sex, love or death? If you answer no, you must name five songs that are not about any of these subjects, in any way.

16. For you, what is "the day the music died"?

Here's my answers...

"Road to Nowhere" by Talking Heads.

2. Who do you think is/are the most overrated artist/group in history? List as many as desired.

1. Britney Spears
2. Madonna
3. Creed
4. Pink Floyd
5. 50 Cent
6. Linkin Park (sorry Jeff!)
7. The Strokes

1. I really like "Lucky". It's embarassing how much I like it, I can play it on the guitar and I know all the word.:rolleyes:
2. Ummmmm, I guess "Like a Prayer" is alright.
3. I really don't like a single song of theirs.
4. "Wish You Were Here" is the only song by them that I can tolerate.
5. Again, I can't stand any of his stuff.
6. "In the End" and their new single (is it "Faint"?) were tolerable the first thousand times I heard them.
7. I actually like the strokes, but they aren't God's gift to music, like all the music rags are making them out to be.

1. Eels
2. Cheap Trick
3. Kylie Minogue
4. Tenacious D
5. Death Cab for Cutie
6. Oasis
7. Flaming Lips

I could go on for hours, but I'll stop myself now.

5. If you could be instantly granted two tickets to the show of your choice, who would you see, and who would you take with you?

Ummmm, how about Dashboard Confessional opening for Springsteen. I'd probably take my friend Mary, because she's the only other Springsteen fan my age that I know.

Just whatever I was wearing that day. Probably a T-shirt and a pair of jeans or khakis. I don't really believe in flashy stage clothes.

7. Name your least favorite genre of music, and then name your favorite song(s) and/or artists working within that genre. I.e. I hate country, but I looooove Dolly Parton.

I hate country, but I like the really old-school country like Hank Sr., Johnny Cash, whoever the first big woman was (Patsy Cline?).

8. The rag mags are all about the Strokes and how they're revolutionizing mainstream music and whatnot, but who do YOU think is REALLY the next musical savior?

The way the industry works nowadays, there's not going to be any more music saviors. If things are going to change, they're going to be gradual so everyone can jump on the bandwagon, including fashion, MTV, etc. Kinda like with the Strokes.

But, if I had to pick, I'd say I'm gonna be the one to change the face of music forever.:p:

"Everything will be alright" - Dashboard Confessional's "Remember to Beathe"

Burn out, it's better to go out on top than to fade into obscurity.

11. What's your favorite song(s) to listen to when you're angry? Lusty? Depressed? Ready to partaaaay?

angry- Springsteen's Nebraska or Eels' Dasies of the Galaxy or anything by Dashboard Confessional. Just soft, relaxing stuff, to get me out of being angry.

Lusty- What a dumb word. Anyway, I dunno, "Let's Get it On" by
Marvin Gaye, I guess.

Depressed - I have a CD I've put together for when I'm depressed (I'm usually depressed over the same old stuff, anyway, might as well listen to the same music). Here's a few of them...
"Romeo and Juliet" - Dire Straits
"All out of Love" - Air Supply
"If You Leave" - OMD
"Places You Have Come to Fear the Most" - Dashboard Confessional
"Start Over" - Abandoned Pools
"Wonderwall" - Oasis
"Soma" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Somewhere Out There" - Our Lady Peace
"Little Red Corvette" - Prince (this song has a sorta personal importance for me)

Party music - Andrew WK's "I Get Wet", the entire album, I challenge you to listen to it all the way through, or even just one or two songs, and not want to party.

12. If you were standing outside your estranged beloved's house wearing a trench coat and blasting "your song" on the boombox you hold aloft over your head, what song would you choose to play to seduce your lovah back into your arms?

Probably "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits.

I'm the baddest MC that you ever did see
Straight outta Jersey, representin' S.C.
Like Oren Ishi, I'll kill you while I smile
Cuz my shit be flowin' faster than the Nile

14. Now battle YOURSELF with a four-line verse that says how much badder-asseder You (Question #14 You, that is) are than Question # 13 You is.

Oh, Lord. OK...

Back yourself up before I gotta do it for you
Your crazy-ass hair's making it hard for me to ignore you
But before you can even act like my rhyming bores you
I've already made you look dumb, dissed you, and destroyed you
Word.

15. Are all pop songs really about sex, love or death? If you answer no, you must name five songs that are not about any of these subjects, in any way.

No,

1. Billy Joel's "Piano Man" is about loneliness. I guess you could argue that loneliness is just an absence of love.
2. Buckcherry's "Lit Up" is about cocaine.
3. "Along Comes Mary" is about marijuana.
4. Bob Dylan's "The Hurricane" is about Reuben Carter"
5. "My Generation" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" are about disenfranchised youth.

The day I broke a string on my acoutic guitar. The dream has died!!!!

"Every Sperm is Sacred" from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Man... most all boy bands and girl pop singers, e.g. Britney, Christina, Jessica Simpson, Shakira; n*Sync, Backstreet, etc. ad nausem. Also Tupac. And the White frickin' Stripes!!!

Bye Bye Bye by n-Sync, What a Girl Wants by Christina, a few Britney songs.

Hmmm... that's really hard to say. Most of the stuff I listen to is on radio rotation on one station or another.

I would see Bob Marley and the Wailers, circa 1978. I'd take my friend RJ, who is not a huge reggae fan, but at least would apprecicate the show.

Jeans and my Dragonfly-style Marley shirt.

I don't like country either, but I do like some Hank Williams Jr. songs, and Leann Rimes is starting to grow on me.

Jehu's Horse (my band)! j/k. I never even heard of the Strokes. I think the next musical savior is going to be the one who bans all the brainless teeny-bop crap from the radio.

"Just can't live that negative way... make way for the positive day!" - Bob Marley, "Positive Vibration"

Burn out - if you fade away, everyone will be on your case about how you used to be so cool, but you lost it. Burn out, and you become a legend.

Angry: Limp Bizkit, RATM
Lusty: Jewel, female pop (e.g. Britney, etc.)
Depressed: B.B. King (I know, how cliche), or just talk radio
Party: live rock/reggae

There's this one classical artist that she loves, whose name escapes me... but probably something from him. Or a Hawaiian chant song - that's where we honeymooned, and so Hawaiian music really reminds me of our honeymoon.

I like to get on US Message Board
And get people in lively debates.
But if somebody gets me upset,
I'll knock them in their fat, ugly-looking head with my 5-string bass!

Man... it was hard enough to write four lines... now you want me to write four more?!?

Given that pop songs are written for mindless teeny-boppers, you've got to keep the subject material simple. So I would say that probably, yes, they are.

May 11, 1981, when the Honorable Robert Nesta Marley, O.M., succumbed to cancer in Miami, FL.

1. What song is stuck in your head RIGHT NOW? The "oompa loompa" song from Willie Wonka

2. Who do you think is/are the most overrated artist/group in history? List as many as desired. - N Sync

3. Now name one song by them that you actually, begrudgingly like. - None - I don't listen to that crap

4. Who is the most UNDERrated artist/group? List as many as you like. - Lilliane Axe, Skin n Bones, I Napoleon

5. If you could be instantly granted two tickets to the show of your choice, who would you see, and who would you take with you? Skin n Bones and I would take my son

6. If you were a rockstar, what would your stage outfit be? Nude, I'd be getting laid if I was a rock star!

7. Name your least favorite genre of music, and then name your favorite song(s) and/or artists working within that genre. I.e. I hate country, but I looooove Dolly Parton. - Rap - Eminem

8. The rag mags are all about the Strokes and how they're revolutionizing mainstream music and whatnot, but who do YOU think is REALLY the next musical savior? - The music itself

9. What song lyric most describes the way you're currently feeling about life? Skin n Bones - Cover me with Roses

10. Is it better to burn out, or to fade away, and why? Burn out - much more fun getting there.

Angry - Motley Crue - Wild Side
Depressed - Guns n Roses - Coma
Party - Puddle of Mudd - She fuckin hates me

12. If you were standing outside your estranged beloved's house wearing a trench coat and blasting "your song" on the boombox you hold aloft over your head, what song would you choose to play to seduce your lovah back into your arms? - Melissa Etheridge - I want to come over

13. Freestyle a four-line verse about how bad-ass you are. No can do

14. Now battle YOURSELF with a four-line verse that says how much badder-asseder You (Question #14 You, that is) are than Question # 13 You is. Not enough time, maybe later!

15. Are all pop songs really about sex, love or death? If you answer no, you must name five songs that are not about any of these subjects, in any way. - Yes

16. For you, what is "the day the music died"? When we hit the 90's

You had me 'til this...

And the White frickin' Stripes!!!

I love the White Stripes. I don't think they're reinventing the wheel or anything, but I think they're great.

Also, this is really weird...

"Every Sperm is Sacred" from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

I had that song in my head all night last night! Creeeeepy!

BTW, The Strokes play music that's really simple that sounds like it's from the 70's (they sound like Television or the New York Dolls). THeir singer really sucks and his voice is more processed than britney's. They're OK, but Spin and Rolling Stone were touting them as the best band since Nirvana.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dan
[I love the White Stripes. I don't think they're reinventing the wheel or anything, but I think they're great.
[/B]

I think that the White Stripes are extremely overrated. One, they are so minimalist. Two, the whole sibling/spouse thing. While the music itself is all right, (and admittedly, the Seven Nation Army lick is really catchy, to the point of annoyance) I certainly don't think that it's as good as it's touted to be.

"Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get from a glut of TV?
A pain in the neck and an IQ of three
Why don't you try simply reading a book?
Or could you just not bear to look?"

Try hearing that all day! And now I hope you all do! LOL

Well, I realize I'm not going to change your opinion here, but what the heck, I like talking about the white Stripes.

Yeah, they're minimalist. But at a time when most bands on the radio owe as much to a computer as an amplifier, I think it's sorta refreshing to hear a guitar that actually sounds like a guitar and drums that actually sound like drums.

As far as the sister/spouse thing, I know this is sorta a cop-out, but it's not like the two of them walk around wearing shirts saying "I'm with my sister...no, my ex-wife". It's not their fault that the media decided to concentrate on that aspect of their image.

I dunno, I like them, you might like their earlier stuff better. Their album "De Stijl", my personal favorite, sounds a lot like Led Zeppelin, it's mostly blues with a little pop thrown in here and there. Try downloading "Little Bird" or "Death Letter", see what ya think.

Dan,

I guess my biggest beef against the White Stripes is that I could play their stuff with ease - both guitar and drums. And I suck at the drums! And if I can pick it up that easily, it can't be that hard or involved. So I don't think that they are particularly great musicians, even if their songs are catchy. And I'm not really into minimalism, so I guess that's another strike against them! :)
I know we won't agree on it, just want to let you know why I don't like them. I'm sure that there's a lot of people who don't like Bob Marley!

Yeah, I was raised on grunge and punk, so stuff doesn't have to be too difficult for me to enjoy it. But, I do see where you're coming from.

Originally posted by Dan
I stole this direct from another message board, but I liked it a lot, thought you guys might, too.

1. What song is stuck in your head RIGHT NOW? The theme song from Andy Griffith, unfortunately.

2. Who do you think is/are the most overrated artist/group in history? List as many as desired. The Beatles

3. Now name one song by them that you actually, begrudgingly like. I can't think of one.

4. Who is the most UNDERrated artist/group? List as many as you like. Bon Jovi

5. If you could be instantly granted two tickets to the show of your choice, who would you see, and who would you take with you? Rolling Stones...my husband.

6. If you were a rockstar, what would your stage outfit be? Leather mini skirt, thigh high boots and fishnet stockings and a t shirt.

7. Name your least favorite genre of music, and then name your favorite song(s) and/or artists working within that genre. I.e. I hate country, but I looooove Dolly Parton. Rap...Will Smith- them to MIB

8. The rag mags are all about the Strokes and how they're revolutionizing mainstream music and whatnot, but who do YOU think is REALLY the next musical savior? I don't think there's such a thing as a savior.

9. What song lyric most describes the way you're currently feeling about life? The theme song to the brady bunch...because life is just one big adjusted family.

10. Is it better to burn out, or to fade away, and why? Burn out...at least you'd have lived and tried.

11. What's your favorite song(s) to listen to when you're angry? Fighter by C. Aguillara Lusty? Turbo Lover by Judas Priest Depressed? Bridge over troubled water Ready to partaaaay? Fire Woman by the Cult or Cherie by (I forget!)

12. If you were standing outside your estranged beloved's house wearing a trench coat and blasting "your song" on the boombox you hold aloft over your head, what song would you choose to play to seduce your lovah back into your arms? I would never do that!

15. Are all pop songs really about sex, love or death? If you answer no, you must name five songs that are not about any of these subjects, in any way. Yes

16. For you, what is "the day the music died" - the music hasn't died for me, luckily...

Mudshovel by Staind

Metallica. Blink 182. Boy George. Milli Vanilli.

Can't think of one right off.

mind is drawing a blank.

Kiss. I'd be taking my 21 year old daughter, she loves them.

jeans and a t-shirt

bluegrass and there isn't a song or artist that i like in it.

don't have a clue.

isn't one

Burn out, better to go out in a blaze of glory than to die with a whimper.

Angry - mudshovel by staind or "I stand alone" by godsmack
Lusty - anything by Luther Vandross
Depressed - Bleed for me by Saliva
Party - anything upbeat

queen - one year of love

i like to LISTEN to some rap, not create it.

read the above answer

unfortunately, they are.

the day that boy george became a music star.

5. If you could be instantly granted two tickets to the show of your choice, who would you see, and who would you take with you? Kiss. I'd be taking my 21 year old daughter, she loves them.

My best friend just saw them last Thursday (I think). They're touring right now with Aerosmith, my friend had decent tickets and they were $150!!!

Army - Ben Folds Five

Pink Floyd
Zepplin - I don't know why, i just can't stand em

Thank you - Dido

Ben Folds (Five)
Tragically Hip - I cannot believe this band never caught on in the US, it's freaking criminal!
Sloan
Badly Drawn Boy

U2 - Love em, and they're so good live. My bud Steve, because no road trip is fun without tha boys.

Hoody and sweats :D

Rap - But Swollen Members is great live and Public Enemy is just the king whether you like rap or not.

Bah... who knows. They guy or gal who bitchslaps the RIAA until they stop marketting pop one-hit wonders and get some of my fave types of music going.

"There's no simple explanation
For anything important, that any of us do
But the human tragedy, consists of, the necessity,
Of living with, the consequences, under pressure"
Courage - The Tragically Hip, one of my top 5

Doesn't matter.

11. What's your favorite song(s) to listen to when you're angry? Lusty? Anything from Barry White, oh yeah.
Depressed? Just listen to Ava Adore album from the Smashing Pumpkins
Ready to partaaaay? GREAT BIG SEA! Up or Play albums. So much fun east-coast Canadian style. KITCHEN PARTY!

The Luckiest - Ben Folds

I'm really quite a nice person actually.

Mein?

They're all about anything that makes $$$ at any given moment. Mostly trash.

Never did, it's just one life support.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock

Army - Ben Folds Five
__________________ ________________
Thank's for the respite Isaac :D

Forum List

Back