Multiple Pedestrians Ignore Dying New York Hero

Saw this very same thing happen to a man in Philadelphia in the mid 1990's. I parked in a garage and headed for a restaurant before seeing a client in a medical center, which is directly across the street from where I observed people on their way to work etc stepping over a man laying crosswise on the sidewalk, shirt up, and slashed across the stomach, I immediately went into the restaurant and called for an ambulance. And what is more disturbing, is some of the people stepping over this man went into the medical center! Employees? I have no clue but, WTF's with people anyway?

Nothing to do with New York City inhabitants, it's the insensitivity of people all over and it's nothing new. Hopefully they will get their turn and no one to call for them.

Real Christian compassion for their fellow man popping out all over America.
Had they been Muslims they would have just finished the guy off?

He was latino from the look of his name, maybe they thought he was illegal

Oh yeah. Cuz New York City is the nexus of Christian Theology in America.

The scene is actually more reflective of the lack of community in secular big government worshiping, urban areas. The residents expect the government to handle it.

I doubt you would see a similar incident in Fargo, North Dakota.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmknOKkaPEI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmknOKkaPEI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

A couple of clicked links will get you to this website: A homeless man dies and nearly 25 people in Queens keep walking by - NYPOST.com

There you can see the surveillance video image of the incident.

Nobody should just walk past a guy lying on the ground, but it is a common enough experience in NY City where (despite lots of available homeless shelters) many homeless folks prefer to sleep on the street. Since they are often either mentally disturbed individuals or drug addicts, it is something lots of New Yorkers learn to do: walk past them.

One time I saw a guy lie down in a bus shelter right outside the restaurant I was in to grab some lunch. My view from the restaurant street side window gave me a clear view of how nobody approached the guy. So, I called 9-1-1 using my cell phone. The guys I was with thought I was being a bit goofy.

Maybe they were right. It took some time, but eventually an EMS (Fire Department) ambulance rolled up to the bus stop and the EMTs attended to the guy. It took a while to awaken him. Eventually (before I finished lunch) he had gotten some treatment inside the ambulance and was back out on the street walking away. At this, my buddies noted that I had just been an alarmist.

Unless they saw that the guy down on the sidewalk in the video was bleeding, I think most New Yorkers behaved normally by walking past him. But "normal" and "right" are not always the same thing.

Back when homelessness was first big in the news, I saw a guy who looked seriously sick to me laying on a grate in the subway in DC. I went to the station guard and asked them to look into his condition. They were not only callous and indifferent to him, they were rude to me. I gathered that if I had called the EMT, they would have been pretty much the same.

Big cities have large homeless populations. There comes a time when you just get compassion fatigue, especially when there are so many scamsters involved.

It wasn't AZ, it was that bastion of liberalism.... New York. It appears that your attitude that the government is responsible for everyone is catching on in NYC.

no. it has to do with ny'ers not approaching homeless people... same as in every other city.
:evil:

Oh yeah. Cuz New York City is the nexus of Christian Theology in America.

The scene is actually more reflective of the lack of community in secular big government worshiping, urban areas. The residents expect the government to handle it.

I doubt you would see a similar incident in Fargo, North Dakota.

:rolleyes:

It wasn't AZ, it was that bastion of liberalism.... New York. It appears that your attitude that the government is responsible for everyone is catching on in NYC.

no. it has to do with ny'ers not approaching homeless people... same as in every other city.

I know. It's just truthmatters and her ignorant 'view'. If she honestly believes it was his race, then surely NYC - being a 'liberal' area - has the same race problems as, say, AZ.

Personally, I don't think it is political or racial.... I think people just don't give a shit anymore. Sad indictment of society, that we would step over a dying person.

A couple of clicked links will get you to this website: A homeless man dies and nearly 25 people in Queens keep walking by - NYPOST.com

Nobody should just walk past a guy lying on the ground, but it is a common enough experience in NY City where (despite lots of available homeless shelters) many homeless folks prefer to sleep on the street. Since they are often either mentally disturbed individuals or drug addicts, it is something lots of New Yorkers learn to do: walk past them.

One time I saw a guy lie down in a bus shelter right outside the restaurant I was in to grab some lunch. My view from the restaurant street side window gave me a clear view of how nobody approached the guy. So, I called 9-1-1 using my cell phone. The guys I was with thought I was being a bit goofy.

Maybe they were right. It took some time, but eventually an EMS (Fire Department) ambulance rolled up to the bus stop and the EMTs attended to the guy. It took a while to awaken him. Eventually (before I finished lunch) he had gotten some treatment inside the ambulance and was back out on the street walking away. At this, my buddies noted that I had just been an alarmist.

Unless they saw that the guy down on the sidewalk in the video was bleeding, I think most New Yorkers behaved normally by walking past him. But "normal" and "right" are not always the same thing.

"Right", maybe not depending on your point of view. But the fact is many of the homeless in major cities are addicts and/or mentally ill. And while many, actually I'd say most, are harmless some are not. Unless the trauma was obvious (and sometimes even then), an average passerby stopping to check on a random homeless person lying on the street isn't good for self-preservation.

Calling 911 is a different story, assuming of course there is reason to believe from appearances it isn't just another guy sleeping it off in the middle of the sidewalk. That may be a jaded view, but it's also reality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C570byQCLpI]YouTube - Andy Kaufman - Mighty Mouse[/ame]

You're singin to the choir man...you're singin to the choir..:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I know. It's just truthmatters and her ignorant 'view'. If she honestly believes it was his race, then surely NYC - being a 'liberal' area - has the same race problems as, say, AZ.

Personally, I don't think it is political or racial.... I think people just don't give a shit anymore. Sad indictment of society, that we would step over a dying person.

well, if they knew he was dying. people walk over drunks for obvious reasons. i know i wouldn't walk over to a homeless person sleeping on the street.

the question remains, however, as to whether it was ever any different. i seem to recall a song by the late tom leherer called 'a small circle of friends' about a woman in queens who was raped and beaten to death in the street while the neighbors heard for well over an hour what was going on.

i figure even in the wild west days of the saloons, a drunk in the street would be locked up and let to sleep it off or ignored. for some reason that is beyond my comprehension, someone somewhere decided that people have the right to be left in the street and mentally ill people have a right not to take meds or be forced into institutions.

and i know you were just taking a potshot at truthdoesntmatter. ;)

well, if they knew he was dying. people walk over drunks for obvious reasons. i know i wouldn't walk over to a homeless person sleeping on the street.

the question remains, however, as to whether it was ever any different. i seem to recall a song by the late tom leherer called 'a small circle of friends' about a woman in queens who was raped and beaten to death in the street while the neighbors heard for well over an hour what was going on.

i figure even in the wild west days of the saloons, a drunk in the street would be locked up and let to sleep it off or ignored. for some reason that is beyond my comprehension, someone somewhere decided that people have the right to be left in the street and mentally ill people have a right not to take meds or be forced into institutions.

and i know you were just taking a potshot at truthdoesntmatter. ;)

The Tom Lehrer song refers to the Kitty Genovese case.
And that was a great deal worse, as she was raped and murdered outside the vestibule of her apartment building and no one called.

Her Killer had murdered twice before, would do so again, and is still alive according to the Wiki article.
When his death sentence was handed down, the courtroom burst into cheers.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back