Muckrakes & Earth-movers

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
Muckraker is the corrupt politician’s favorite accusation. Leveling the accusation is a politician’s first defense when he gets caught doing something dirty. The second defense is to swear that his or her conduct was hardly unethical when indisputable facts begin to surface. Politicians define ethical for their own protection. Ethical usually means finding the right words to justify every foul thing they do.

To be called a muckraker is a compliment when the facts support exposing misconduct in public life.

muckrake

To search for and expose misconduct in public life.

There’s been enough muck to rake in the past five years to make rake manufacturers billionaires, and that’s only for raking 10 percent of the muck burying the nation’s capital. Forget about rakes. There is so much misconduct in Washington a fleet of earth-movers would be hard-pressed digging out from under the corruption.

images

One definition of the word muck says —— Something filthy or disgusting. Beginning with the Nigerian Yellow Cake story, media coverage from start to Scooter Libby’s conviction was so slanted against the Bush White House, especially Dick Chaney, it can only be called media muck. Media coverage of the Valerie Plame fiasco was muck as filthy and disgusting as anything the government ever got up to:

Company%20Man%20cover.jpg

January 11, 2014
Proof that the Plame case was a hoax
Clarice Feldman

Blog: Proof that the Plame case was a hoax

Here’s a very brief summary of events for anyone not familiar with the travesty:

The Valerie Plame case: The man who was appointed to appoint Patrick Fitzgerald “Special Counsel”
Thomas Barton, Investigative Reporter

The Valerie Plame case: The man who was appointed to appoint Patrick*Fitzgerald "Special Counsel" «

Anyone who paid the slightest bit of attention back when this was "news" knew it was all a partisan witch hunt.

It's a case study in what can be accomplished when in consort with the pliant media.

I don't know where you get your dictionary but muckraking is not a complimentary term:

muck·rak·ing
ˈməkˌrākiNG/Submit
noun
the action of searching out and publicizing scandalous information about famous people in an underhanded way.

It's called "muck" for a reason. See also "gossip".

And no, Valerie Plame doesn't apply here because that's not gossip, nor is it predicated on self-righteous fake morals.

Last edited:
To be called a muckraker is a compliment when the facts support exposing misconduct in public life.

I don't know where you get your dictionary but muckraking is not a complimentary term:

To Pogo: You’re like Joe Biden. You’re always wrong.

The definition in the OP came from my computer dictionary. My $100 Random House Unabridged Dictionary says this:

muckrake v.i., -raked - raking

to search for and expose real or alleged corruption, scandal, or the like, esp. in politics. (1675 - 85; obs. muck rake a rake for use on muck or dung. See Muck, Rake)

Muckraker, n.

It's called "muck" for a reason. See also "gossip".

To Pogo: Wrong again. Gossip is not harmful unless it is malicious, nor can the definition of gossip be stretched to include exposing corruption in politics à la muckraking:

gossip noun

1. Rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature.

2. A person who habitually spreads intimate or private rumors or facts.

3. Trivial, chatty talk or writing.

4. A close friend or companion.

5. Chiefly British. A godparent.

And no, Valerie Plame doesn't apply here because that's not gossip, nor is it predicated on self-righteous fake morals.

To Pogo: Did you miss this in the OP:

Media coverage of the Valerie Plame fiasco was muck as filthy and disgusting as anything the government ever got up to:

:lol:

No, egomaniac of inflated font, I'm not wrong. See where your own definition refers to "dung"? Any idea what "dung" means? It's not complimentary either.

Wait -- I know what will convey this point...

There! Bigger darker font! Am I right now?? Should I go to ALL CAPS??

:lmao:

Forum List

Back