Mrs. Claus' Kitchen

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
Easter Island (USA)
Just like I promised (although I was having internet issues earlier and then I went to the movies) today I'm opening the virtual kitchen where we can discuss recipe ideas for Christmas and have virtual Christmas cookies and hot cocoa. :)

EasyChristmasSugarCookies_188693_01.jpg

hot-chocolate.jpg

That sounds interesting. Can you do a full reveal of the recipe?

Oh, I never used a recipe. Nothing fancy. Start with a can of yams or you could roast some fresh yams yourself. (Early in the day, poke holes in the skins with a fork and roast them until they're soft, cool and peel and cut into chunks) Use a good root beer -- I like Virgil's. Pour the whole bottle root beer into a pan and bring it to a boil and let it cook for a while until some of it's gone -- this concentrates the flavor as well as the sweetness. Stir in some brown sugar until you like the level of sweetness. Then drain the yams, if using canned, and put the chunks into the glaze and let the pan simmer gently until the yams are heated through, 10 or 15 minutes. Next, pour the yams and glaze into a baking dish and cover the whole thing with marshmallows. Pop into the oven until the marshmallows are brown and melty.

Good luck and let me know how yours turn out!

And on second thought, cola might also work well for this.

Oh, I never used a recipe. Nothing fancy. Start with a can of yams or you could roast some fresh yams yourself. (Early in the day, poke holes in the skins with a fork and roast them until they're soft, cool and peel and cut into chunks) Use a good root beer -- I like Virgil's. Pour the whole bottle root beer into a pan and bring it to a boil and let it cook for a while until some of it's gone -- this concentrates the flavor as well as the sweetness. Stir in some brown sugar until you like the level of sweetness. Then drain the yams, if using canned, and put the chunks into the glaze and let the pan simmer gently until the yams are heated through, 10 or 15 minutes. Next, pour the yams and glaze into a baking dish and cover the whole thing with marshmallows. Pop into the oven until the marshmallows are brown and melty.

Good luck and let me know how yours turn out!

And on second thought, cola might also work well for this.

Really appreciate it. We typically do a sweet potato recipe with butter, cinnamon and Canadian maple syrup topped with marshmallows. I love root beer so as soon as I get the chance I'm going to try it and will let you know how it turns out.

Larsen's Danish Bakery in Seattle ships their beautiful Kringle pastry, my family's favorite. My brother worked there for a while and we ate Kringle as often as possible!

Attachments

• 1637968916452.png
    1637968916452.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 48
Really appreciate it. We typically do a sweet potato recipe with butter, cinnamon and Canadian maple syrup topped with marshmallows. I love root beer so as soon as I get the chance I'm going to try it and will let you know how it turns out.

Maple syrup -- YES! And melting butter into the glaze sounds wonderful!

Norway has similar Fattigmand Bakelse

View attachment 568756
This is a similar recipe (ingredients,) that my German Grandmother used to make around Christmas, but we would make it on special occasions' breakfasts all year round. Easter morning, Fourth of July morning, birthdays, etc.

There is an apple topping that goes with it. . .

Some folks use a casserole dish, IMO, you need a cast iron pan to do it up right.

1387416651667.jpeg

This is a similar recipe (ingredients,) that my German Grandmother used to make around Christmas, but we would make it on special occasions' breakfasts all year round. Easter morning, Fourth of July morning, birthdays, etc.

There is an apple topping that goes with it. . .

Some folks use a casserole dish, IMO, you need a cast iron pan to do it up right.

1387416651667.jpeg

With powdered sugar! YUMMMMM!!!!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back