Mr.Conley

I've deliberately searched for a few terms that I knew would be banned ie. "Tiananmen Square," "Tibet," and a couple other items from a list of terms censored by the Chinese government. However, I've yet to 'accidentally' run into any censorship. If you use google.cn then supposedly it lets you know whenever a query is being censored. I've yet to have that happen. So, practically, no.

I've deliberately searched for a few terms that I knew would be banned ie. "Tiananmen Square," "Tibet," and a couple other items from a list of terms censored by the Chinese government. However, I've yet to 'accidentally' run into any censorship. If you use google.cn then supposedly it lets you know whenever a query is being censored. I've yet to have that happen. So, practically, no.

Interesting, we hear (as you know) censorship is rampant. Nice to have someone there to let us know the real story.. keep in touch.

On the other hand this message may get ya tossed in prison as a spy.

When I lived in Shanghai during 2002-3, the Chinese Government routinely blocked the NYT, LAT, Time Magazine, and other websites. Internet cafes were often shutdown. Sites like Amazon.com that sold forbidden books were often blocked. One thing you can be sure about in China is that the government observes what particular websites are accessed by what IP addresses. Google.cn and MSN.cn are Chinese Government collaborators. The dirtballs at Microsoft even modified the contents of the Chinese version of Encarta so that the PRC military invasion of Tibet was written out. The Chinese literally think that Tibet has always been a part of China. When, of course, it has never been a part of China. Even now it is occupied territory.

Forum List

Back