Mr Beer Homebrew review

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
Beer: West Coast Pale Ale.

It turned out to be slightly darker than MGD and stronger than Corona. It has a slightly hard taste or "bite" to it. Since my Palate is not educated I cannot tell if it is hops, malt, or a mistake as I brewed it. It also didn't foam up and produce a big head when poured. I could get used to the flavor but to be honest am looking forward to the next batch. I gotta be double careful to make sure I did everything right. I gave three liters to coworkers to evaluate. I have to call it a success since it is drinkable, but I hope the next batch is better. Got the Whispering Wheat Weizenbier, Linebacker Bock, Bewitched Red Ale refills along with the kit for my birthday. So I get to experiment.

www.mrbeer.com
:beer:

Very cool!!

I have wanted to do some home brew for awhile now. Perhaps this fall. Most homebrews I have tried had little Co2 in them, therefore didn't produce that foamy head. But your beer sound great. Good luck on the next batch.

MtnBiker said:
Very cool!!

I have wanted to do some home brew for awhile now. Perhaps this fall. Most homebrews I have tried had little Co2 in them, therefore didn't produce that foamy head. But your beer sound great. Good luck on the next batch.

I took a bit of the beer when warm to marinate chicken with. It made a good foam. Might be that chilling the beer lowers the CO2. I don't know. I will faithfully report on each batch. It's tough but someone must step up to the plate. Cheers

MtnBiker said:
Thats awesome!! Let us know.

stated in a earlier post that he cut the 5gallons to 3 gallons...I have Mr.Beer...ya gotta follow the directions..or lest ya have a bad batch!

archangel said:
stated in a earlier post that he cut the 5gallons to 3 gallons...I have Mr.Beer...ya gotta follow the directions..or lest ya have a bad batch!

This was my first batch and I followed the directions religiously. Not sure where the 3 gallons came from. So far I am happy. Continued drinking and the flavor grows on you........ All that yeast I think. :beer:

pegwinn said:
This was my first batch and I followed the directions religiously. Not sure where the 3 gallons came from. So far I am happy. Continued drinking and the flavor grows on you........ All that yeast I think. :beer:
The yeast will grow on ya but the hops will get ya.........lol

pegwinn said:
It also didn't foam up and produce a big head when poured.
A friend of mine did this, and his product was also flat.

In my opinion the container does not seal effectively, and gas is released during fermentation. That's bad.

Wrap the opening with saran wrap as firmly as you can.

Zhukov said:
A friend of mine did this, and his product was also flat.

In my opinion the container does not seal effectively, and gas is released during fermentation. That's bad.

Wrap the opening with saran wrap as firmly as you can.

saran wrap is a good product for us morons...I learned that awhile back...thanks! :eek: :cry:

archangel said:
saran wrap is a good product for us morons...I learned that awhile back...thanks! :eek: :cry:

So, you own a mr beer, and the saran wrap trick works? Good to know since I am whipping up the next batch a little later. Thanks to both y'all.