MPs call to relocate 2022 Beijing Games over China's reported abuses of Uighur minority

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I may not be proud of what Canada regularly does to citizens like myself and countless others, but I am proud of these politicians for standing for principle.

Thirteen MPs from all five major federal parties in Canada have signed a letter urging the International Olympic Committee to move the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics to another country over reported human rights abuses of China's Uighur minority.

"We have a unique opportunity to come together with all the world's humanitarians and democrats and take action by refusing to participate in this global sports festival, on the grounds that doing so would amount to taking part in a sinister, self-aggrandizing spectacle staged for the benefit of a regime that is perpetrating the worst possible crimes against humanity against its own people," the letter reads.

"Some may argue that sports and politics should not mix. We would respond that when genocide is happening, it is no longer a matter of politics, but of human rights and crimes against humanity."

The Olympic and Paralympic Games — set to be hosted by Beijing next February — were targeted Wednesday by a coalition of 180 human rights groups calling for the international sporting event to be boycotted altogether.

Last October, the House of Commons subcommittee on international human rights tabled a report concluding that China's treatment of the mostly Muslim Uighur minority — including mass detentions in concentration camps, forced labour and population control measures, such as forced sterilization — meets the definition of genocide.

In late January, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said he agreed with the Trump administration's determination that China committed genocide in its persecution of Uighurs in the country's Xinjiang province.

China's Foreign Affairs Ministry has denied the accusations.

I don't really give a fuck about the Uighyirs, but I do think we should boycott China for it's air pollution, sea pollution, Biden supporting, bad haircut, disease spreading activity.

Not against the move, I support it - but why does it take the issues with the Muslims there for these folk to spring into action?

China have been doing this shit for years and to their own amongst others.

Other countries that have had big events have had rank-rotten attitudes and policies against others, yet when it's to do with Muslims the elites rally - as usual.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back