Most Texas Job Growth Went to Immigrants

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
81% of Increase 2007-11 Went to New Foreign Workers

WASHINGTON, Sept. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new report by the Center for Immigration Studies examines job growth in Texas. Gov. Rick Perry has pointed to increased employment in Texas during the current economic downturn as one of his main accomplishments. Analysis of the Current Population Survey (CPS) collected by the Census Bureau shows immigrants (legal and illegal) have been the primary beneficiaries of this growth since 2007, and not native-born workers. This is true even though the native-born accounted for the vast majority of growth in the working-age population (age 16 to 65) in Texas.

The report is online at Who Benefited from Job Growth In Texas? | Center for Immigration Studies. Key findings:

•Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived foreign workers (legal and illegal).

•In terms of numbers, between the second quarter of 2007, right before the recession began, and the second quarter of 2011, total employment in Texas increased by 279,000. Of this, 225,000 jobs went to immigrants (legal and illegal) who arrived in the United States in 2007 or later.

•Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, 93 percent were not U.S. citizens. Thus government data shows that more than three-fourths of job growth in Texas went to newly arrived non-citizens (legal and illegal).

•The large share of job growth that went to immigrants is surprising because the native-born accounted for 69 percent of the growth in Texas' working age population (16 to 65). Thus even though natives made up most of the growth in potential workers, most of the job growth went to immigrants.

•The share of the working-age natives holding a job in Texas declined significantly from 71 percent in 2007 to 67 percent in 2011. This decline is very similar to the decline for natives in the United States as a whole and is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to the overall situation in the country despite the state's job growth.

•Of newly arrived immigrants who took jobs in Texas since 2007, we estimated that 50 percent (113,000) were illegal immigrants. Thus about 40 percent of all the job growth in Texas since 2007 went to newly arrived illegal immigrants and 40 percent went to newly arrived legal immigrants.

•Immigrants took jobs across the educational distribution. Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, more than one-third (97,000) had at least some college.

•These numbers raise the question of whether it makes sense to continue the current high level of legal immigration and also whether to continue to tolerate illegal immigration.

Most Texas Job Growth Went to Immigrants -- WASHINGTON, Sept. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

How can any of these numbers be trusted, when NO ONE knows how many of the jobs were filled by illegals?

I don't think they specified any number of "illegals" but classified them with immigrants which are tracked.

Since NO ONE knows how many illegals are actually here, how can they be lumped with legals and tracked? Or, are you saying Texas KNOWS how many illegals took new jobs? If so, isn't that against the law?

How can any of these numbers be trusted, when NO ONE knows how many of the jobs were filled by illegals?

Tell you what. If you ever have to visit Houston Try this, stand on a street corner and look around. Find some construction, head towards it, Notice that there are no white guys, except for the one at the companion trailer. Just ignore that one white guy (a Perry voter) and ask one of the Latino guys directions some ware. You will be hard pressed to get much more then "I dont know". From Galveston to just before Conroe just about all the county jobs are filled by presumed illegals. Its the same in Austin. Can you say for sure they are illegals ? no, but if you checked there social security numbers I dont think they would check out.

Tell you what. If you ever have to visit Houston Try this, stand on a street corner and look around. Find some construction, head towards it, Notice that there are no white guys, except for the one at the companion trailer. Just ignore that one white guy (a Perry voter) and ask one of the Latino guys directions some ware. You will be hard pressed to get much more then "I dont know". From Galveston to just before Conroe just about all the county jobs are filled by presumed illegals. Its the same in Austin. Can you say for sure they are illegals ? no, but if you checked there social security numbers I dont think they would check out.

And why would Texas (Perry) allow this sort of behavior?

Because there is an attitude "well they had the documents," attitude towards it all. Oh, and it would be heartless to not put them to work for $5.00 less pr hour then anyone else. Im serious, you dont even see black guys in entry level county or city jobs. Just so you know, I feel Perry is crooked, and wants the cheap labor to continue coming. Thats why he panders to La Raza, and wont do anything to control the flow at the border.

Because there is an attitude "well they had the documents," attitude towards it all. Oh, and it would be heartless to not put them to work for $5.00 less pr hour then anyone else. Im serious, you dont even see black guys in entry level county or city jobs. Just so you know, I feel Perry is crooked, and wants the cheap labor to continue coming. Thats why he panders to La Raza, and wont do anything to control the flow at the border.

Odd....that stance doesn't seem very "conservative" to me?:eusa_eh:

I don't think they specified any number of "illegals" but classified them with immigrants which are tracked.

Since NO ONE knows how many illegals are actually here, how can they be lumped with legals and tracked? Or, are you saying Texas KNOWS how many illegals took new jobs? If so, isn't that against the law?

Texas doesn't know how many illegals took new jobs but the report didn't claim that.

The claim is "Most Texas Job Growth Went to Immigrants". (which is tracked)

Forum List

Back