Most Republicans Support Declaring the United States a Christian Nation

10% in lieu of taxes? I like it.
But of course none of these things are prosecuted in officially Catholic countries, so.....strawman.

In lieu of taxes? No, sorry. The church will just have the power to demand you tithe 10% to the church. The gov't will still tax you. Someone has to pay salaries, for the military, for highways and roads, for police & fire fighters, etc etc.

The Founders had that same opportunity and they carefully separated church and state.

Which branch of Christianity is to be the national religion?

Once again you prove you're clueless about the US Constitution. The founder prohibited the federal congress from establishing a religion, there was no such prohibition placed on the States. Try reading the first 5 words of the 1st Amendment. Here's another clue for ya commie, nothing in the 1st Amendment has been amended.

I am not going easy on anyone.

With the dictator, no matter how despicable he may be, he takes the credit/blame for what he does. With clergy telling us what God told them he wanted us to do, it is always "Its the will of God".
Yes you are. You level zero criticism of atheist regimes, while only criticizing Christian regimes. Why is that?

In lieu of taxes? No, sorry. The church will just have the power to demand you tithe 10% to the church. The gov't will still tax you. Someone has to pay salaries, for the military, for highways and roads, for police & fire fighters, etc etc.
Strawman. In other Catholic countries, the church doesn't demand it's citizens donate to the church. You're just making stuff up.

No you still pay taxes. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.
Like I said, Strawman. Catholic Countries don't demand contributions to the church or even that you be Catholic. But atheist countries demand loyalty to the atheist government. Odd you have no criticism of that. Why do you people let atheist regimes off the hook?

Yes you are. You level zero criticism of atheist regimes, while only criticizing Christian regimes. Why is that?

I don't discuss "atheist regimes" at all. It is not particularly relevant to the topic. Even if the US became an atheist nation, your assumption that we would immediately become bloodthirsty and brutal is nonsense. Christianity is not the only source of morality and integrity.

Strawman. In other Catholic countries, the church doesn't demand it's citizens donate to the church. You're just making stuff up.

No, I am not making stuff up. I am replying to your post.

You said "10% in lieu of taxes? I like it." My post was a response to that, not any current Christian nation's legal system.

Like I said, Strawman. Catholic Countries don't demand contributions to the church or even that you be Catholic. But atheist countries demand loyalty to the atheist government. Odd you have no criticism of that. Why do you people let atheist regimes off the hook?

Why do you keep focusing on the brutality of certain atheist regimes? They are not the US. Our population would not stand for the brutality and bloodshed perpetrated in the nations you portray as the inevitable result of godless government.

The discussion is about a subset of the GOP who approves of declaring the US a Christian nation. And you choose to ignore the realities of the US Constitution and the lack of numbers for a constitutional amendment.

Abortion, gay marriage, trans mutilation. Any law that violates Christian teaching is a godless aka atheist law.

There are other religions. There are those who believe in other Gods. I am sure there are some who call Christians "godless".

This is one of the problems with being a Christian nation, all other faiths are called "godless".

I don't discuss "atheist regimes" at all. It is not particularly relevant to the topic. Even if the US became an atheist nation, your assumption that we would immediately become bloodthirsty and brutal is nonsense. Christianity is not the only source of morality and integrity.
The point is, unless checked, the US is headed towards atheism, and we know the disaster officially atheist countries are in every way. Yet you never criticize them; only Christian countries. Why is that?

The point is, unless checked, the US is headed towards atheism, and we know the disaster officially atheist countries are in every way. Yet you never criticize them; only Christian countries. Why is that?

When I point out the flaws of any theocracy, I use examples. The discussion is whether or not the US declares itself a Christian nation, and the people who think we should.

If you look at the response we always have to any brutal acts against citizens, it becomes obvious that our population would not stand for the ways of the nation you keep referring to.

And under our current system, you can be a Christian, a Jew, an atheist, a Wiccan, a Buddhist, or a Hindu and are still treated the same. You are free to live your life in the most Christian way you know. But the freedoms guaranteed by our constitution are not going to be thrown away in some grandstanding "We Are Christians" virtue signaling.

When you try to avoid enacting Christian laws, you enact atheist laws by default. There is no such thing as a void. The reason America needs to be declared officially a Christian nation is because it has unofficially become an atheist nation, pushing atheist laws.
I would choose the Catholic Church, of course.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Lord! (pick whichever one you want).......anyway, I couldn't wade through 26 pages of this thread so will just sorta wing it:

Gotta smile at the 'atheist nation by default' concept.
What with all these faith-owned properties sitting on valuable real estate that goes untaxed? Seems to me all those churches, temples, meeting houses, mosques, synagogues have found a safe space for themselves within our governments and taxation laws. No?

And then, if the OP is seeking to install a faith-based legal and political system......well, why not Sharia law?
After all, it has hundreds of years of actual implementation and vetting?
What about Halakhah....the Jewish body of law? Also has hundreds or more years of vetting.

And then, the OP wants to default us to the Roman Catholic ethic.
That seems a tad problematic to my sensibilities.

Sure, the Catholics have done some good things with their schools teaching immigrants*, and their hospitals providing care, but......but they seem to have a bit of a blind spot about their clergy sticking their hands down the pants of the altar boys. No?

Wanna a perspective on that little peccadillo?
Catch the movie 'Spotlight' on Netflix.

September 3, 2015 - Religion News Servicenew-film-puts-spotlight-on-bostons-pedophile-priests/#:~:text=VENICE%20%28Reuters%29%20%E2%80%9CSpotlight%2C%E2%80%9D%20starring%20Michael%20Keaton%20and%20Mark,sexual%20predation%20in%20the%20church%2C%20its%20director%20says.

-----------------------------------------------------------

* We saw that bit of business up in Canada where Catholic schools oppressed the indigenous kids in their care. Lots of abuses, some horrible. But I noted the oft mentioned rule against the kids ever speaking their native tongue. That resonated. I grew up in German immigrant community (of course their immigration was in the 1830's)....but the German language was widely spoken locally up until the last 20yrs or so, including in my own childhood home. But, in the local Catholic school kids were forbidden to speak German......in the classroom or on the playgrounds. Punishment was swift and sure.

So the reports of what those Abenaki, Inuit, and any First Nations' kids endured up in Canada had a ring of truth to it.

When I point out the flaws of any theocracy, I use examples. The discussion is whether or not the US declares itself a Christian nation, and the people who think we should.

If you look at the response we always have to any brutal acts against citizens, it becomes obvious that our population would not stand for the ways of the nation you keep referring to.

And under our current system, you can be a Christian, a Jew, an atheist, a Wiccan, a Buddhist, or a Hindu and are still treated the same. You are free to live your life in the most Christian way you know. But the freedoms guaranteed by our constitution are not going to be thrown away in some grandstanding "We Are Christians" virtue signaling.
They freedoms are going to be taken away gradually, then in one fell swoop. That's how atheist dictators operate. They convince enough stupid people to go along with them until we reach a tipping point. Then, they take over and the people are powerless to stop it. You need to study history. This pattern has repeated over and over.

Last edited:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Lord! (pick whichever one you want).......anyway, I couldn't wade through 26 pages of this thread so will just sorta wing it:

Gotta smile at the 'atheist nation by default' concept.
What with all these faith-owned properties sitting on valuable real estate that goes untaxed? Seems to me all those churches, temples, meeting houses, mosques, synagogues have found a safe space for themselves within our governments and taxation laws. No?

And then, if the OP is seeking to install a faith-based legal and political system......well, why not Sharia law?
After all, it has hundreds of years of actual implementation and vetting?
What about Halakhah....the Jewish body of law? Also has hundreds or more years of vetting.

And then, the OP wants to default us to the Roman Catholic ethic.
That seems a tad problematic to my sensibilities.

Sure, the Catholics have done some good things with their schools teaching immigrants*, and their hospitals providing care, but......but they seem to have a bit of a blind spot about their clergy sticking their hands down the pants of the altar boys. No?

Wanna a perspective on that little peccadillo?
Catch the movie 'Spotlight' on Netflix.

September 3, 2015 - Religion News Servicenew-film-puts-spotlight-on-bostons-pedophile-priests/#:~:text=VENICE%20%28Reuters%29%20%E2%80%9CSpotlight%2C%E2%80%9D%20starring%20Michael%20Keaton%20and%20Mark,sexual%20predation%20in%20the%20church%2C%20its%20director%20says.

-----------------------------------------------------------

* We saw that bit of business up in Canada where Catholic schools oppressed the indigenous kids in their care. Lots of abuses, some horrible. But I noted the oft mentioned rule against the kids ever speaking their native tongue. That resonated. I grew up in German immigrant community (of course their immigration was in the 1830's)....but the German language was widely spoken locally up until the last 20yrs or so, including in my own childhood home. But, in the local Catholic school kids were forbidden to speak German......in the classroom or on the playgrounds. Punishment was swift and sure.

So the reports of what those Abenaki, Inuit, and any First Nations' kids endured up in Canada had a ring of truth to it.
Once again, you people pivot from Christian to theocracy so you can then bring in radical Islam. It's a tired ruse.

China, North Korea, Cuba, and the former USSR.

Well I like Chinese food (American Style), and I'd like to try some real legally imported Cuban Cigars someday, and of course Russian Vodka and women......But I got nothin for NK?

Doesn't mean I support the authoritarian regimes that run any of those places.

They freedoms are going to be taken away gradually, then in one fell swoop. That's how atheist dictators operate. They convince enough stupid people to go along with them until we reach a tipping point. Then, they take over and the people are powerless to stop it. You need to study history. This pattern has repeated over and over.

Keeping the US Constitution strong is the answer to that problem. Removing it for your purposes allows others to use the lack of it for theirs.

Forum List

Back