Most famous person you have ever met?

Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons happened to come into the restaurant my then girlfriend and I were at after attending a KISS concert. Still one of the best groups I’ve ever seen live.

In the mid 1960's on a saturday morning, at the age of 12, I went with my father who was a Lt. Col in the US Army to the military airport on the base. He was with a group of top brass, including generals and politicians to see off Robert McNamara the Sec. of Defense under Pres. Kennedy.

I was standing next to my father in awe of all the tall military bigwigs in uniform surrounding me as they shook hands with Sec. McNamara. When suddenly he turn to me, shook my hand, asked me how I was doing, then headed to board his airplane.

Sec. of Defense was the architect of the Vietnam War under both presidents Johnson and Kennedy, and little did I know I had just shaken the hand of the man who in a few years would dramatically impact my life and destiny.

Who is the most famous or infamous person you have ever met? ... :cool:
Let's see.......I met authors Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison a couple times each. Legendary UK pub rocker Nick Lowe a couple times. Singer/songwriter/guitarist extraordinaire from the UK, Richard Thompson, a couple times. Also, authors Nelson DeMille and Peter Straub, along with authors Joe R. Lansdale and Dan Simmons. And legendary blues artist Robert Jr. Lockwood, a couple times. He was one of many boyfriends of Robert Johnson's mother. Actually 4-5 years YOUNGER than Johnson, he is considered by some to have taught him some things concerning guitar playing. Side note to Mr. Lockwood - I called a phone number that was on the liner notes of a CD I had purchased the first time I met him, thinking it was probably his booking agent or publicity agent's number. It was his HOME number! I got to talk to him a couple times by phone and wish him a Happy Birthday.

Favorite? Winston Churchill. True he was out of work and in disrepute at the time. Met while he was buying bricks for his famous serpentine wall. Conversation entirely about the wall - not a word of politics.

Second place? Donald Coggan; Archbishop of Canterbury (1976) Conversation with him setting up broadcast of bi-centennial of Trinity Church in Newport, RI - not discovering until the actual broadcast started that I had been chatting with not just an ordinary cleric.

One I almost forgot: Vincent Price. Had dinner with him while he was in Alaska on a native art buying expedition (1972).

Worst place: Martin Luther King. Another setting-up for broadcast situation. Observed how he treated his family and staff. Walked away disgusted.

No one though I did see Pope JP2 in Darwin.

Greg

Thanks for the memory! Pope John Paul II

No, I didn't meet him.

But I watched him arrive in Quito, Ecuador. He got out the door of the plane, waved to the crowed and walked unassisted down the stairs.

Then he lay down on the ground and kissed the earth.
A gesture of THANKS. He had just flown on Alitalia and lived!

Oh yeah, and Dwight Yoakam.

What an asshole.
I remember asking you about him before, but sadly I have forgotten how things went for you. I do apologize. In what way was Dwight so terrible? Every time that I have seen him, he comes across as a very humble person with a touch of shyness.

My list is mostly country music singers, but I have met a few people who are in the sports field.

Sports
Jeff Burton (NASCAR driver)
Dale Jarrett (NASCAR driver)
Dave Justice (Atlanta Braves player)
Hal Morris (Cincinnati Reds player)

Singers
Kenny Chesney
Toby Keith
Keith Urban
Joe Diffie (deceased...I can't believe that anyone has to say this about him now already...)
LeAnn Rimes
Tanya Tucker
Steve Wariner
Kathy Mattea
Mark Wills
Wade Hayes
Darryl Worley
Trace Adkins

God bless you and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly

What an asshole.
I remember asking you about him before, but sadly I have forgotten how things went for you. I do apologize. In what way was Dwight so terrible? Every time that I have seen him, he comes across as a very humble person with a touch of shyness.

My list is mostly country music singers, but I have met a few people who are in the sports field.

Sports

Singers
Kenny Chesney
Toby Keith
Keith Urban
Joe Diffie (deceased...I can't believe that anyone has to say this about him now already...)
LeAnn Rimes
Tanya Tucker
Steve Wariner
Kathy Mattea
Mark Wills
Wade Hayes
Darryl Worley
Trace Adkins

Holly

He was just an abusive prick to everybody, his band, the stagehands, anyone in sight. Very full of himself. One of those people who portrays one character in public but very different when nobody's watching.
He's bald yanno. That's why he never takes that silly hat off.

I was at WalMart a few years ago and said hello to Trace Adkins as he walked by.

I noticed that everyone in the store was looking at him. Finally I asked someone if he was famous or something?

I thought maybe he was a basketball player because he is soo tall. ... :lol:

Wasn't Jim's father the skipper involved in the Gulf of Tonkin incident? They lived in Northern Virginia for a while before Jim became the Lizard King and I often imagine him with short hair, riding his bike around, being a normal kid, if he ever was one. His relationship with his father must have been something. His father even was a vestryman at a local church.
According to Ray Manzarek Jim called his father "The Admiral" and it was not a term of endearment.
At UCLA he told people his father was dead.

OK I went bar hopping with Sir James Mancham once. The Seychelles is a tiny little country but he was its prime minister at the time. He was later its first president too but later was deposed for pissing away the county's money partying around Europe.
I saw an interview he gave to Time or a similar news rag back then. He said that the Seychelles would never be a world power but they could certainly hold their own on the cocktail circuit.
He was partying around London when he got word that he'd been deposed and if he valued his life he wouldn't come home.
When we met, I was dating his niece and we were unusual visitors doing unusual work for back then. As I said it was a small island and a small country but he was the prime minister just the same. Who else has gotten knee waking wasted with a prime minister?

In the mid 1960's on a saturday morning, at the age of 12, I went with my father who was a Lt. Col in the US Army to the military airport on the base. He was with a group of top brass, including generals and politicians to see off Robert McNamara the Sec. of Defense under Pres. Kennedy.

I was standing next to my father in awe of all the tall military bigwigs in uniform surrounding me as they shook hands with Sec. McNamara. When suddenly he turn to me, shook my hand, asked me how I was doing, then headed to board his airplane.

Sec. of Defense was the architect of the Vietnam War under both presidents Johnson and Kennedy, and little did I know I had just shaken the hand of the man who in a few years would dramatically impact my life and destiny.

Who is the most famous or infamous person you have ever met? ... :cool:

That's historic man, VERY cool. I've never met someone powerful in govt. less congress & governors, but that was only because my mom and uncle. These are famous people I recall meeting. My brother more, my mother 5x that, my father 20x that, and my uncle 5,000x that.

Batman & Robin. Adam West was engaged to my cousin.

Morey Amserdam. He lived next door to my aunt and cousin. He liked doing card tricks for kids.

Michael Dunn. Dr. Miguelito Quixote Loveless from Wild Wild West.

The Clown Prince and his Globetrotters. Meadowlark and my dad were friendly. He'd rather be with kids than adults. Best "baby sitter" I've had.

The Bonanza cast. All friends of my dad's less Parnell Roberts. Luck has it I met Parnell 20 years later. He came to my shop 3-4 times just to hang out. Very cool dude, drove an old VW Bus.

Sammy Davis. This is where my brother has more than a few on me, because he met guys like Bob Hope too. My dad and uncle knew the rat pack.

Liberace.

Bob Newhart and Don Rickles. They were a table over from us, my uncle and they are friendly.

What an asshole.

Sports

Singers
Kenny Chesney
Toby Keith
Keith Urban
LeAnn Rimes
Tanya Tucker
Steve Wariner
Kathy Mattea
Mark Wills
Wade Hayes
Darryl Worley
Trace Adkins

Holly
He was just an abusive prick to everybody, his band, the stagehands, anyone in sight. Very full of himself. One of those people who portrays one character in public but very different when nobody's watching.
He's bald yanno. That's why he never takes that silly hat off.
The hat is never there when he is in the movies. That is how I know why he wears a hat so much while on stage. I pray that it was just a bad day for him when you saw him.

I was at WalMart a few years ago and said hello to Trace Adkins as he walked by.

I noticed that everyone in the store was looking at him. Finally I asked someone if he was famous or something?

I thought maybe he was a basketball player because he is soo tall. ... :lol:
Was he wearing a cowboy hat or any kind of hat when you saw him? Did you get a "Hello." from him in return?

God bless you two and my favorites always!!!

Holly

I almost forgot because the premise is 'famous', not 'infamous'.

Last year I'm in Beijing on business, staying at a 5 star hotel, and get on the elevator with Lurch Kerry. Just me and him. Rode about 10 floors down to the lobby together. What is that.... 12-15 seconds? My body wanted to do things that cannot be mentioned in an open forum. I physically had to restrain myself. I knew he was there Logan Acting (that's a new verb) on Trump and undermining anything and everything the DJT administration was doing.

We never took our eyes off each other. I'm sure I looked like a serial killer and he was a little nervous. He looked frail and weak.... and tired. Like an old communist drone that's worked hard for the party bosses for decades and his heart just isn't in it anymore. We walked into the lobby, he had just one little Chinese gal directing his activities and they disappeared into the darkness.... like rain washing dogshit from the gutter down into the sewer.

Calm down - But we do understand that you secretly wanted to fuck him. ;)

johnkerrylurch.jpg

Yeah, of course.... who wouldn't?

Dan Aykroyd. I was with some family in a bar at about 2am in NYC when he came in with Tom Davis. He came up to us because we had pizza, which we shared with them. I asked if I could take a video of him and he said follow me. We all followed him into the kitchen where he did a Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger skit with us in the video.

I flew on Air Force One with Bill Clinton. I'm friends with Sam Elliott and his wife Katherine. Robert Mitchum was a friend, as was Jonathan Winters.

In my field J. Tuzo Wilson is the definite leader, and in science in general Feynman reigns supreme.

Forum List

Back