Most famous person you have ever met?

I was four. My Grandpa was a Shriner, and they were raising money for a children's hospital in Houston. He invited me to go with him to the Shrine Circus that they hosted to benefit children of the city. He introduced me to a man, and I asked him why he was so sad. He said that he was a clown, and he acted that way to make people laugh, and that was the end of it. As I was growing up, I frequently saw the same man on tv. His name was Emmett Kelly. I never met another really famous person except for Senator John Barrasso who went to my church when I lived in Casper, Wyoming. He's the only candidate I ever really supported by making a quilt that was raffled by his team and family and was very proud of my friend and surgeon who fixed my knee problem when he finally did become a Senator, and not because of my quilt either.

For those of you who are 40 or younger, here's one of Emmet Kelly's later routines circa 1967:

worst two I ever met were suzanna somers and leslie nielson. Both were horrible. Stuck up, nasty to the peons they deemed not worthy of their presence, rude.

In the mid 1960's on a saturday morning, at the age of 12, I went with my father who was a Lt. Col in the US Army to the military airport on the base. He was with a group of top brass, including generals and politicians to see off Robert McNamara the Sec. of Defense under Pres. Kennedy.

I was standing next to my father in awe of all the tall military bigwigs in uniform surrounding me as they shook hands with Sec. McNamara. When suddenly he turn to me, shook my hand, asked me how I was doing, then headed to board his airplane.

Sec. of Defense was the architect of the Vietnam War under both presidents Johnson and Kennedy, and little did I know I had just shaken the hand of the man who in a few years would dramatically impact my life and destiny.

Who is the most famous or infamous person you have ever met? ... :cool:
I’ve got to meet and even hang out with a few dozen famous musicians, but my favorite was a man who’s name escapes me right now (I have his son’s business card somewhere), was not famous, but his work is. He was responsible for the first photographs of Surveyor 1, our first soft landing on the moon. We were sailing the replica of Cabrillo’s 1542 ship in San Diego and just chatting and the topic came up. Spent much of the day listening to his stories about flying to Goldstone and watching his work unfold.
1586706894441.png

Forum List

Back