Mormons?

We believe that baptism is a required ordinance that one must receive in order to be saved into the kingdom of heaven.
Your beliefs are your own but they are not the beliefs of devoted Catholics or people of other faiths. You are welcome to your beliefs. The beliefs of others should be welcome and respected as well.
Catholics have the same book as the Protestants..

Acts 2:38: Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.: Cristian Bible Study Journal for studying the Scripture.
I was baptized but I doubt it counts. I was about 10 or 12 years old and it was done out of fear. Hell and damnation, being stung over and over by scorpions, pain so bad my earaches paled in comparison. Threats of hellfire, torture, etc. So did I feel any different after being dunked? No. Just relief I would not be tormented with pain.

Again, the God I believe in loves His children..of which I am one. I accept Jesus as my savior, and know He died for my sins..whatever sins those were for a kid my age. I never backed away from Him, and never will. A god that causes suffering to the end of time for whatever reason is not God.

Just my opinion.
Us catholic babies had it made , we couldn't even talk to repent, before we where babtized.

But we had to go through the first communion and

It was decided and revealed by the Lord Jesus Christ through the Prophet Joseph Smith:
And it was revealed to me, through prayer, that the LDS faith is not for me. Therefore no one of your faith has any right to baptize me after my death. Correct?

So....if you are a Mormon, can you explain the concept of what it is and why you chose that path? Did you do it on your own, or were you born into it due to family? What do you like/dislike about it?
This is Joseph Smith:
Here is a little more about Joseph Smith:

This is the text of the Book of Mormon whose source is from golden plates that were buried in the US--in New York that were written in reformed Egyptian. Yep.

It was chosen for me. I am an ex-Mormon. I also have line/s that go back to the beginning with Joseph Smith. This Eden, Arizona – Mormon Ghost Town – Legends of America was a town that my family established. It's a Mormon ghost town now. Several went from this town (or others mentioned) to Mexico where other Mormon families lived. My grandfather was born into it but didn't attend as an adult that I can remember but I realize there was life before my existence. My grandmother was a Quaker and came from a long line of Quakers. She never went to an LDS church for service and she never said (to the best of my knowledge) anything derogatory about it. You know.........like Quakers do or don't to be more precise. My father was a Mormon but had not attended since he was a child. My mother was born a Catholic. My dad said: Nope! Not doing that! I told my parents at like 6 or 7 that I wanted to become a Nun. They both said: Nope! Not doing that!

I remember getting up on Saturdays to crack wheat at the Church. Those were crazy times. Every night of the week had one family member attending church. It was never a night that we were as a family alone. The women didn't really hold a lot of power. Their power came from tattling on other women. We had a front room that was always reserved for other Mormons to come over to. Every once in a while a couple of the women from the church would come by. It didn't really stop there. Missionaries leave home with someone and they are not allowed to maintain contact with their parents. Just the Bishop, etc. That other person is with you 24/7 and they maintain contact with the bishop. You are never alone and someone is always checking up on you. I think that is the most horrendous part of it. It's the part that I don't like. It's hard to digest.
That is absolutely fascinating! Like your family, mine on my mothers side also came from a long line of Mormons in Provo and Salt Lake City. Our branch got excommunicated though, over a land dispute. Funny history :)

That is funny history.

My mother and Aunt grew up as gentiles in the promised land. Our cousins were/are Morman. There was a big immigration movement in the late 1800's and turn of the century, where newly converted Mormans in mostly Scandanavian countries were coming over to joint the Church in the US. My great great Grandfather sent his (many) children over, as he could afford it. His daughters were already promised in marriage to church elders when they arrived. Strange times.
Did your grandparents resist becoming Mormons? Were they Mormon and left the church? What were your grandparents like? Did your great grandfather come to the US?

I found your peeps.

Last edited:
Mostly. :) I think Protestants eliminated a few.
The Apocrypha was not accepted as a part of the OLD TESTAMENT TEMPLE CANON in Christ's day. They were not accepted because they were not considered inspired. There is some history to be found in them and they are ancient; however, they do not further the story of the Messiah. And this is one reason they are now not found in the Protestant Bible today. Many older Bibles contain them; however, they were always separated from the main body of inspired Old Testament and the inspired New Testament.

The Apocrypha was not accepted as a part of the OLD TESTAMENT TEMPLE CANON in Christ's day. They were not accepted because they were not considered inspired. There is some history to be found in them and they are ancient; however, they do not further the story of the Messiah. And this is one reason they are now not found in the Protestant Bible today. Many older Bibles contain them; however, they were always separated from the main body of inspired Old Testament and the inspired New Testament.
Martin luther was a pig who married a nun..

Much like crack whore hunter biden today who slept with his 14 year old niece.

Martin luther was a pig who married a nun..

Much like crack whore hunter biden today who slept with his 14 year old niece.
Martin Luther believed in the institution of marriage.

Without a doubt
So, you believe that every prophecy of Joseph Smith was without error?

If the prophet speaks in the name of the Lord and delivers a prophetic revelation, then I would expect it to come to pass. However, a prophet is not all knowing and when conversing among others he is entitled to his own opinion. There have been times when Joseph Smith likely expressed his own opinion and some have expected that every word out of his mouth should be absolute truth and labeled him as a false prophet when his personal opinion did not come to pass. A prophet is only a prophet when he is revealing a prophecy is the name of the Lord and revealing exactly what the Lord has told him. Outside of that he is left to his own thoughts. The church has gone through the history and writings attributed to Joseph Smith and has cannonized the revelations which they considered to be direct revelation from the Lord and are part of what we now consider to be scripture. These revelations can be found in the Doctrine and Covenants.

Last edited:
So....if you are a Mormon, can you explain the concept of what it is and why you chose that path? Did you do it on your own, or were you born into it due to family? What do you like/dislike about it?

If I were Mormon, which I am not. I'd be loathe to answer such a personal question.

It was decided and revealed by the Lord Jesus Christ through the Prophet Joseph Smith:
And it was revealed to me, through prayer, that the LDS faith is not for me. Therefore no one of your faith has any right to baptize me after my death. Correct?

We all choose what we will believe and what we will not. If you were to pass away and your close relatives gave permission to allow the church baptize you vicariously, we would do it. We don't go off of what an individual believed in this life but allow them the possibility to have changed their mind once in world of spirits. Like I have stated several times before, it is in the spirit world where you will have to make your final decision. There you can reject it and it will not be binding upon you and will have no effect.

Without a doubt
I never got the idea why prophets of God should be flawless, as well as their words. They were just humans, after all.

They are not flawless. They are men with imperfections the same as you or I. There are times where the Lord has disciplined Joseph Smith for not caring more for his wife or for not taking the Lord's answer to one of his questions as the final answer such as in the case of Martin Harris and the lost manuscript. However, I believe God sees the future and knows he can rely on those whom he chooses unless they are chosen for certain outcomes as in the case of Judas Iscariot.

We all choose what we will believe and what we will not. If you were to pass away and your close relatives gave permission to allow the church baptize you vicariously, we would do it. We don't go off of what an individual believed in this life but allow them the possibility to have changed their mind once in world of spirits. Like I have stated several times before, it is in the spirit world where you will have to make your final decision. There you can reject it and it will not be binding upon you and will have no effect.
I am a spirit, I am in the spirit world. I am with the Lord. Your claim is that as a spirit I would have to look to someone back on earth to make things right for me. Why? Because those in the spirit world (including the Lord) have no power? You, not the Lord, have the power? (And some get upset that I label this as a kind of idolatry.)

You may not recognize it, but Catholics and LDS are close in respect to those who have passed on. We pray for those who have passed on, and I know, absolutely, those prayers have power. Not once have I had to be a proxy to anyone to have these prayers heard. I do not question what is in your hearts; I do question your lack of reverence for the freedom of will God bestowed on each of us. Unless your LDS Church has MY authority for you to become MY proxy, no relative, no matter how close has any authority to turn me over to one of your proxies. For this reason alone, your ceremonies are invalid. Then an LDS statement here that the spirit in the afterlife can just reject your rite after it is done is an admission that the LDS church has no respect for its own rituals since they say outright that ritual can be shunned once done. It is an admission your rituals have no power. We agree on that point as well.

So why not leave it with prayer and acknowledge the power of prayer and the results are in the hands of the Lord.

Without a doubt
I never got the idea why prophets of God should be flawless, as well as their words. They were just humans, after all.

They are not flawless. They are men with imperfections the same as you or I. There are times where the Lord has disciplined Joseph Smith for not caring more for his wife or for not taking the Lord's answer to one of his questions as the final answer such as in the case of Martin Harris and the lost manuscript. However, I believe God sees the future and knows he can rely on those whom he chooses unless they are chosen for certain outcomes as in the case of Judas Iscariot.
It may be. But I have to admit that my perception of God differs from the Christians' one.

Jonah is an excellent example of this.

God called him as a prophet, and told him to go to Nineveh and tell them to repent of their wickedness, or else God was going to have to kick their asses.

So, what did Jonah do? He got on a boat headed as far away from Nineveh as he hoped to get. God had to go to some rather unusual measures to get Jonah to go to Nineveh.

When Jonah finally got there, instead of telling the Ninevans to repent or their ass was going to get kicked, he just told them that they were wicked,and God was going to kick their assess. He then found himself a good place on a mountain to sit with a big box of popcorn and a 32-ounce Super-Squencher, and watch the ass-kicking.

In the mean time, in spite of Jonah having screwed up the message, the Ninevans got it anyway, and repented, so the ass-kicking didn't happen.

The last chapter of Jonah's story is about God teaching Jonah what all of that was about, and showing him where he went wrong.

If I were Mormon, which I am not. I'd be loathe to answer such a personal question.
What's personal about it? You either have faith in what you believe in or ya don't. I have the same question about another religion but haven't posted it yet. Perhaps you should refrain from entering the thread if you think its too personal.

You either have faith in what you believe in or ya don't

A person's faith is a personal thing. Unless you're attempting to convert someone to your faith, there is no reason to justify it to another.

There is no reason for unsolicited prying into the beliefs of others unless you want to dissuade them from it.

Forum List

Back