More shortages in the U.K.

It's nothing to do with flattening curves, Brexit or Covid.

There's a shortage of HGV drivers. It's that simple.

I've seen statements from oil companies and petrol stations saying there's plenty of petrol there to meet the demands as normal.

I've seen statements from oil companies and petrol stations saying there's plenty of petrol there to meet the demands as normal.
I heard off a wagon driver that some companies are now doubling wages to keep and attract wagon drivers.

That sounds a lot like our manufactured gas shortage during the Carter administration. Back then they used it to justify raising prices. Since liberals like their subjects poor, pissed off and dependent on government, it fit their agenda perfectly. Europe is further along in their insane journey toward Marxism-communism than we are so I fully expect shortages, inflation and poverty to come to this country too if we allow totalitarian, liberal, government to prevail.

It actually isn't.

Why are cargo ships and planes still running? they face the same issues with Covid and Brexit.
The number of flights have been decreased significantly over the past one and a half year. Can say nothing about the ships.

So, your version why the storages are happening? I hope the Britons using more cars and eating more food isn't the case.

Has to do with all of it if ya watched the video

Britain is suffering an energy shortage.

No wind in the north sea has caused a shortage across Europe and Britain.

Then an electric cable to Europe burnt up.

This on top of everything else

Brexit has caused shortages of everything. It has been exacerbated by an incompetent government that doesnt have a clue how to govern. It will get worse.

Brexit has caused shortages of everything. It has been exacerbated by an incompetent government that doesnt have a clue how to govern. It will get worse.
It's not Brexit only. It is also violation of Russian borders by your destroyer and stealing of Russian 4,5 billion dollars and Venezuela's gold.

You are not wrong...
They knew for 2 years Brexit was a reality but walked away from the treaty tables way too much to actually get things accomplished in a reasonable time setting.

Basically they were puppets instead of leaders.

They focused on fishing rights and oil instead of imported groceries... because at the end of the day...the UK believed that they were needed customers that the suppliers needed to sell to and are finding out differently. The suppliers didn't need to sell as much as they needed to purchase.

49245D7F-66FC-44D7-98EB-DA8F0986FBD1.jpeg

It should be noted first and foremost that Britain’s driver shortage is not a new phenomenon. Even in the heady days before Covid or Brexit, the UK was already lacking around 76,000 drivers, according to Logistics UK.

So where have they all gone? And what can be done to bring them back?

Some factors to consider:

Unfortunately however, many of these drivers do not want to work in the UK even if they could. Not only has Brexit created endless paperwork and customs procedures, but working conditions are arguably superior in France, Germany and Belgium thanks to laws that, for example, make it illegal to work on Sundays.

This reluctance was voiced by dozens of drivers in the Financial Times last week. “I will never go back. I like England, it’s a great country. But to work, the way they treat people? Never again,” said one.

It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause.

Retirement has certainly played its part. The haulage industry is an ageing workforce, evidenced by an average age of HGV drivers of 55 years old. Less than 1% are under 25, according to the Road Haulage Association. In 2019, the number of drivers over 50 exceeded those under 50 for the first time [ONS].

It means the rate of retirement has unsurprisingly risen over the past decade, from around 7,500 per year in 2010 to 10,000 per year in 2020, according to analysis of ONS data by Driver Require. This works out at about 4% of the workforce retiring each year.

Poland, for example, is currently short of around 124,000 drivers, or 37% of its required workforce, according to a recent report by TI Insight. That’s an even higher shortfall than the UK.
Even countries with better working conditions than the UK, such as Germany and France, are facing fairly significant shortages.

One thing is clear: fundamental and structural change is required to reform an industry in which many people quite simply do not want to work. How this occurs will be pivotal. Because any successful measures will not only alleviate the crisis, but shape the industry for years to come.

You are not wrong...
They knew for 2 years Brexit was a reality but walked away from the treaty tables way too much to actually get things accomplished in a reasonable time setting.

Basically they were puppets instead of leaders.

They focused on fishing rights and oil instead of imported groceries... because at the end of the day...the UK believed that they were needed customers that the suppliers needed to sell to and are finding out differently. The suppliers didn't need to sell as much as they needed to purchase.
Their message at the start was that Europe needed us more than we needed them. Its a variant on the old glory of the british empire bollox Only the feeble minded believed that.
If only there was a strng trading bloc that we could align with and help us through this nightmare.

Forum List

Back