More reality and I really wish I wasn't right about this...

What is offball? The news is small business took the brunt of the pandemic. I'm not sure rewarding China for lying about the pandemic is a correct step.

China has been less than honest in their dealings with the United States, why deal with them and their sub-quality crap? Let's see lead paint in children's toys, contaminated drywall, poor working conditions, people losing fingers in Chinese factories. Very poor working conditions, slave wages. All reasons NOT to do business with China. How about you invite China to help you with your infrastructure and we'll see how it goes,
All worth some considering except your idea of sub-quality crap. Read up on the question of electric cars.

but don't bother because the Biden/Putin meeting is too important right now.

Where in the hell are they working then? Nobody can get any help, here in Kentucky, and the state of Pennsylvania where I'm moving too, can't get help either.

You're moving to PA? Thanks for the heads-up. Roadblocks going up . . .

Just joking.

In other news, PA ain't the best state for burgeoning small businesses at the moment; COVID and bureaucratic red tape extortion are killing ours. That and our illustrious governor just vetoed a constitutional carry bill passed by our legislature. Unless you're moving to the remote mountains somewhere, as we did, you might wish to reconsider. In still other news, county taxes are going up, electric costs are going up, ethanol per gallon is down—here in Penn's Woods wonderland. Ah, yes . . . and ground beef just hit $6.41 per pound.

All worth some considering except your idea of sub-quality crap. Read up on the question of electric cars.

but don't bother because the Biden/Putin meeting is too important right now.
So, the drywall never happened? The lead in kids paint never happened? China is a big business and has had a reputation for substituting inferior parts to save a buck. I don't have any desire to trust the country that lied to us about Covid-19.

Putin is not one to be trusted, he is evil.

The SF-Oakland bay bridge project figured they would do that and saved money on cheap Chinese bolts to hold it all together. Less than a year later, the malfeasance was brought to light by failures of the fasteners and they all had to be replaced at a greater cost to taxpayers. Yeah, that CCP shit is great for your infrastructure--As good as Wuhan is to public health.
I forgot about that debacle, another reason you can't trust the Chinese.

This morning I learned a vendor I have known since the mid 90s is closing his business. He opened the plant in 1978.
Survived many economic downs, survived 2009 - 2012... but could not survive the material shortages and inability to hire staff.
He use to have 36 employees. Now 12, needs 20. But the inability to get plastic coil was the last straw.
This afternoon I learned the local GM Plant is laying off 20% of the workers next spring. Another 20% by the end of 2022. With the plant closing it's doors for good by 2024. This plant use to employ 2200 full time employees.
This afternoon I was talking to the largest envelope supplier in the U.S. - they are 17,000,000 behind orders. Cannot get the paper to convert to envelopes as European mills are no longer shipping to the U.S. due to enormous increases in shipment cost and shipping delays. Chinese paper, not a chance. And so many U.S. mills shuttered years ago, unable to compete with government owned/subsidized Chinese paper - they can't get paper.

The domino layoffs are coming. The domino business closures are coming.
Happening in the UK too. I'm in construction, quoted some jobs but eventually told various customers I can't do there's because of unable to get certain materials. One supplier on plastic fascia, soffit and guttering are hoping to get a delivery on Anthracite Grey colour in July.......2022, and that date is not guaranteed!!

If you want bricks, many need 30 weeks notice. One type of paint went from £20 for 2.5 litres to £30 in a matter of a couple of months. Wood lathes have gone from 25p per metre to £1.20.

Restaurants are reducing hours and some closing because they can't get staff. And I can't see this getting any better for many months, if not years.

Gosh. you mean doing biz with labor racketeers will bite you in the ass sooner or later??? Whooda Thunk????

All the decent employers around here seem fully staffed, even my favorite burger n coffee joint. Meanwhile, a Wendy's just down the block from it has yet to open even its drive thru lane even though the building was completed 4 months ago. Must be an 'expert manager' franchise owner who reads too much right wing drivel and keesps telling interviewees what lazy pieces of shit they are to him and how they should work for nothing just for the privilege of being in his presence, and then wonders why they never return his calls, lol.

Forum List

Back