Moral Equivalence

• Banned
From the article:

"A pervasive argument appearing in the post-colonial paradigm is that of “Moral Equivalence.” In the case of Islamic terrorism the dynamics of moral equivalence can be seen among some figures of the western intelligentsia in their vociferous moral indignation at the behavior of Western nations that, they allege, led to acts of terror, and their understanding attitude towards the terrorist acts themselves (HRC). Even if they do not intentionally excuse terrorism, such writers produce the unhappy consequence of explaining Islamic terrorism in terms of “Western misdeeds and faults,” and of framing the debate in terms of “what the West did to deserve such attacks” and, therefore, reverse the moral equation. The West’s “wrongs” come to be seen as more reprehensible than the “reaction” (however “harsh” and “inexcusable”) by terrorists. The easy moral challenge is: “Are we not hypocrites, when we do the same thing?”

At some level, this is a pathology of self-criticism (MOS) – it is all our fault, and if we were better, then we could fix everything. Meanwhile, while we demand the highest standards of ourselves, we treat the terrorists as morally challenged, who can’t even understand the questions of intention and cannot be expected to self-criticize. We become incapable of making the distinction between victims and perpetrators, and end up blaming the victim.

Since the beginning of this century three major international events epitomize the way that moral equivalence in its extreme forms (HRC and MOS) have led some Western intellectuals to moral folly:"

• Banned
The “we are just as bad as… or worse than them” mentality

Moral Equivalence Augean Stables

If moral equivalence posts were not allowed, ninety percent of the political posts on USMB would be deleted.

Might I enquire what you mean by "not allowed"?

Hmm.... Not sure if you're trying to be annoying....

I am sure you are. I don't come to threads like this to be annoying.

If moral equivalence posts were not allowed, ninety percent of the political posts on USMB would be deleted.

And what makes you so sure; the fact that I'd wonder why you're making very general inquiries about basic English? But then again, I can see your difficulties with basic English, first hand. You didn't come into the thread; you created it, genius.

And what makes you so sure; the fact that I'd wonder why you're making very general inquiries about basic English? But then again, I can see your difficulties with basic English, first hand. You didn't come into the thread; you created it, genius.

Dismissed.

Dismissed.

Mind you, you've been the idiot in this exchange, full on. Your authority is nil while mine is paramount; thus__

EAT MY ASS

Mind you, you've been the idiot in this exchange, full on.

P.S. For the record, I fully mean that above quote. I wasn't even trying to troll you. I made a valid observation, and then you decided to make trite and vague inquiries into basic English. Thus, I truly wondered what your damn deal is. And then rather than state your damn deal, you went into insult mode.

Guy, you got to learn the language if you're going to start threads and expect them to go anywhere. You'll never get to concepts, if you're going to trip over simple words.

And for fuck's sake, if you are going to ask about meaning, perhaps give some context as to what it is you don't seem to understand. Don't just ask people to define basic words or have to guess as to what the fuck you're even thinking; thus, I wondered if you were trying to be annoying. And frankly, that was me being nice. I could've finished the the thought and said I don't know if you're trying to be annoying or if you are a dense fucktard.

Last edited:

Dismissed.

Mind you, you've been the idiot in this exchange, full on. Your authority is nil while mine is paramount; thus__

EAT MY ASS.

Only with salt and vinegar.

Dismissed.

EAT MY ASS

P.S. For the record, I fully mean that above quote. I wasn't even trying to troll you. I made a valid observation, and then you decided to make trite and vague inquiries into basic English. Thus, I truly wondered what your damn deal is. And then rather than state your damn deal, you went into insult mode.

Guy, you got to learn the language if you're going to start threads and expect them to go anywhere. You'll never get to concepts, if you're going to trip over simple words.

And for fuck's sake, if you are going to ask about meaning, perhaps give some context as to what it is you don't seem to understand. Don't just ask people to define basic words or have to guess as to what the fuck you're even thinking; thus, I wondered if you were trying to be annoying. And frankly, that was me being nice. I could've finished the the thought and said I don't know if you're trying to be annoying or if you are a dense fucktard.
The later.

Dismissed.

EAT MY ASS

Context? Islamic radicalism, Obama's comments.

Dismissed.

EAT MY ASS

The later.

Stop stalking, or I'll report you,

Forum List

Back