MoPOP Founders Award 2020 Honoring Alice In Chains

IDK what MoPOP is but AiC deserves many things. I am sure this is one of them.

Text "MoPOP" to 41444 to donate.
I did.

I love Alice In Chains. It may be cliche but my favorite AIC song is No Excuses

I've worked with them many times. Their bass player, Mike Inez, says I'm the best Fing photographer in rock and roll. That's how he would introduce me to people. He would put his arm around my shoulder then say my name and that sentence. It always embarrassed me when he did that.

IDK what MoPOP is but AiC deserves many things. I am sure this is one of them.

MoPoP is a music museum in Seattle.

The original name was the Experience Music Project. Or EMP.

It was built by Paul Allen.

The history is this: in the 80s Paul Allen bought a Jimi Hendrix guitar. He wanted to build a statue to Hendrix at the Woodland Park Zoo. The old fogies on the city counsel at the time said NO very loudly.

So what did Paul Allen do?

He bought some of the most valuable and prime land in Seattle to build a museum for that guitar and music. Right there on 5th Avenue at the Seattle Center. And it's a beautiful building in that it's the perfect testament to rock and roll. The city counsel hated it.

I have done a lot of work with the people of the EMP through the years. My work and equipment will go to that museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when I die.

Oh and about that statue to Jimi Hendrix Mr. Allen wanted to put in the Zoo? It was built and it is proudly at the zoo just where Mr. Allen wanted it to be.

The Hendrix guitar is at MoPoP on display with bunch of other guitars.

I've worked with them many times. Their bass player, Mike Inez, says I'm the best Fing photographer in rock and roll. That's how he would introduce me to people. He would put his arm around my shoulder then say my name and that sentence. It always embarrassed me when he did that.
That's awesome. Bass players are hardly ever wrong. ;)
I wish i had known about MoPoP last time I was out there.
Next time for sure.

That's awesome. Bass players are hardly ever wrong. ;)
I wish i had known about MoPoP last time I was out there.
Next time for sure.

I worked with Seattle bands a lot through the years. I did a job with Heart in 2002 and Mike Inez was their bass player at the time.

I took a shot of him that night looking like Slash from Guns N Roses. I didn't think much of the shot and sent it off to the band to use on the DVD and CD made of that show.

A couple months later I'm in Reno about to buy a tennis bracelet when my cell phone rang. The sales person was about to put it on my wrist when I had to answer my phone. It was one of Heart's managers. She was all excited telling me that I had saved the graphics of the project and thank god for me.

Then she went into a long tirade about that shot of Mike and how much Mike loved it. That it was the best photo taken of him ever. Then asked me to blow it up to send to his mom. From then on Mike was one of my best fans. LOL. I did a benefit with Heart and Alice In Chains in 2007 and Mike's mom was there. I was able to ask if she got that enlargement. My photos have a horrible problem of not reaching the person it's intended for unless I personally put it in their hands. People would highjack the photos for themselves.

I will never forget what she did next. She ran at me with her arms open thanking me. This little woman who was my size gave me the biggest bear hug I've ever had. I was surprised such a small person could hug so strong. She also thought it was the best shot of her son ever and thanked me over and over.

The shot is on the DVD, CD Alive in Seattle if you want to see it.

Forum List

Back