Montreal police handcuff innocent Black man, have no key to release him

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Sad. Our Charter of Rights...who follows it?

Two plainclothes officers handcuffed a Black man at a Montreal shopping district Thursday while they investigated him for car theft, but once they determined he was in fact the car's owner, they couldn't release him because they had no keys for the cuffs.

Local patrolling officers were called to a parking lot at Marché Central to free the man and now a video of the incident is circulating online.

The six-minute video appears to show the officers trying to calm the unidentified man, who is upset over being handcuffed despite his innocence.

The video does not show what led up to the detainment. The man tells officers it is his car; incensed, he asks the police if a white man would have been treated the same way.

The six-minute video appears to show the officers trying to calm the unidentified man, who is upset over being handcuffed despite his innocence.

A person is under arrest the moment an officer says they are under arrest, OR the moment they believe that they are not free to leave. This is US law as well as UK Common Law, so I assume it's the same in Commonwealth countries. Handcuffs do not signify being placed under arrest, they are a safety measure.

Detainees are regularly handcuffed for their own safety and the safety of the officers if they a) show any aggressive behavior, b) must be transported, c) are judged to be likely to flee detention.

The video does not show what led up to the detainment.

Such videos never do.

A person is under arrest the moment an officer says they are under arrest, OR the moment they believe that they are not free to leave. This is US law as well as UK Common Law, so I assume it's the same in Commonwealth countries. Handcuffs do not signify being placed under arrest, they are a safety measure.

Detainees are regularly handcuffed for their own safety and the safety of the officers if they a) show any aggressive behavior, b) must be transported, c) are judged to be likely to flee detention.

Such videos never do.

Should police also have keys on their persons or are the handcuffs after being wrongfully accused theirs to keep as memorabilia?

How in the world can police accidentally accuse someone of car theft who is innocent?

About the only want this should not cause the police to be charged with a crime, is if the steering column had been taken apart and ignition switch bypassed.

How in the world can police accidentally accuse someone of car theft who is innocent?

About the only want this should not cause the police to be charged with a crime, is if the steering column had been taken apart and ignition switch bypassed.

TPS, OPP, RCMP among others. The standard outcome will be realized, zero accountability. I've experienced the worst of it, to the point I believe I'd be more useful and free in N Korea than creepy Canada. what does that say about Canadas caste system?

My wife and I have both suffered immensely, Americans need to know the truth about our country before I expire. It's too astonishing to even believe sometimes myself, events like this just eat away at us even more.

TPS, OPP, RCMP among others. The standard outcome will be realized, zero accountability. I've experienced the worst of it, to the point I believe I'd be more useful and free in N Korea than creepy Canada. what does that say about Canadas caste system?

My wife and I have both suffered immensely, Americans need to know the truth about our country before I expire. It's too astonishing to even believe sometimes myself, events like this just eat away at us even more.

The remnants of the British monarchy I assume?
People like to use England as an example of good gun control, but it really isn't.
The fact people used to a monarchy are also used to gun control, is not a good thing.

Forum List

Back