Money: The root of all evil?

Doubletap

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2012
The following is Francisco’s Money Speech, from the book Atlas Shrugged.
Keep in mind that those advocating "redistribution of wealth" are essentially looting the productive for the sake of the unproductive.

“So you think that money is the root of all evil?” said Francisco d’Anconia. “Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can’t exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

“When you accept money in payment for your effort, you do so only on the conviction that you will exchange it for the product of the effort of others. It is not the moochers or the looters who give value to money. Not an ocean of tears not all the guns in the world can transform those pieces of paper in your wallet into the bread you will need to survive tomorrow. Those pieces of paper, which should have been gold, are a token of honor–your claim upon the energy of the men who produce. Your wallet is your statement of hope that somewhere in the world around you there are men who will not default on that moral principle which is the root of money, Is this what you consider evil?

Copyright. Link Each "Copy & Paste" to It's Source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material. http://capitalismmagazine.com/2002/08/franciscos-money-speech/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a good laugh when William F. Buckley said he had to flog himself to read Atlas Shrugged.

Ayn Rand never forgave him for publishing Whitaker Chambers' review of the tome. You can read it here: Whittaker Chambers -- Big Sister is Watching You

It's perfect.

Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal.

Last edited:
God gave the entire Earth to Adam and Eve.

Cain murdered Abel.
Nuff said.

Was that motivated by money? Or jealousy?

The murder occurred after a "Katze" has passed by...a "Katze" indicates a VERY LONG time.
This action was motivated greed; Cain wanted not only the land but whatever grew from, and whatever was transported along, the land.

God's punishment tells the tale.
Cain was cursed to be a wanderer.
And if you reply that he established the land of Nod, that was a play on words because Nod in Hebrew means "wanderer".

I had a good laugh when William F. Buckley said he had to flog himself to read Atlas Shrugged.

Ayn Rand never forgave him for publishing Whitaker Chambers' review of the tome. You can read it here: Whittaker Chambers -- Big Sister is Watching You

It's perfect.

Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal.

Whitaker Chambers has his own faults. I couldn't get through his book because it was so maudlin and pleading. Ayn Rand was an atheist, so expecting an honest review from a Bible thumper like Chambers would be delusional.

Last edited:
What about the good that people do with their money?

The overwhelming number of people who do ONLY good things with their money is rare.
Carnegie, for instance, was a sociopath, regardless of his Hall.
Money only represents purchasing power and people want to possess purchasing power.
SOME people don't care what they do to others to achieve this goal.

What about the good that people do with their money?

The overwhelming number of people who do ONLY good things with their money is rare.
Carnegie, for instance, was a sociopath, regardless of his Hall.
Money only represents purchasing power and people want to possess purchasing power.
SOME people don't care what they do to others to achieve this goal.
Freedom is a funny thing - people sometimes do things with it that we don't like.

The following is Francisco’s Money Speech, from the book Atlas Shrugged.
Keep in mind that those advocating "redistribution of wealth" are essentially looting the productive for the sake of the unproductive.
Redistrbution of wealth:
Where the state forces people to provide goods and services to others, without compensation.
This differs not at all from involntary servitude.

Material things are never the root of all evil....it's our mental attitude towards them that is

I feel like a primary teacher preaching ....or like a a priest.... blah blah blah

Material things are never the root of all evil....it's our mental attitude towards them that is

I feel like a primary teacher preaching ....or like a a priest.... blah blah blah

The percentage of people with attitude is far greater than those without.

The percentage of people with attitude is far greater than those without.

I know.

and in the end..... they die, attitude didn't help much huh?

It's perfect.

Whitaker Chambers has his own faults. I couldn't get through his book because it was so maudlin and pleading. Ayn Rand was an atheist, so expecting an honest review from a Bible thumper like Chambers would be delusional.

It's a horrible book, and Chambers was dead on. Overriding arrogance implacably sustained.

The train tunnel scene in the book says it all. She not only justifies, but gloats over the deaths of every man, woman, and child. Rand was as totalitarian, and as out of touch with humanity, as the communists she reviled.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back