Monarch butterflies reach South Texas, crossing into Mexico for Día de los Muertos sooner than expected

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A rare cold front in South Texas last week apparently helped to give clusters of monarch butterflies a boost and they’ve been spotted crossing the Rio Grande south of the border as they migrate back to their ancestral home of Michoacán, Mexico.

Marianna Treviño-Wright, executive director of the National Butterfly Center, told Border Report that many of these colorful orange and black butterflies already have been crossing in clusters on their annual journey in which some travel thousands of miles from the United States.

It’s early for the monarchs, which in Mexican culture are closely affiliated with Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, on Nov. 1.

I think it's a sign it's going to be colder faster and hit the unlikeliest of places............again.

A rare cold front in South Texas last week apparently helped to give clusters of monarch butterflies a boost and they’ve been spotted crossing the Rio Grande south of the border as they migrate back to their ancestral home of Michoacán, Mexico.

Marianna Treviño-Wright, executive director of the National Butterfly Center, told Border Report that many of these colorful orange and black butterflies already have been crossing in clusters on their annual journey in which some travel thousands of miles from the United States.

It’s early for the monarchs, which in Mexican culture are closely affiliated with Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, on Nov. 1.

I think it's a sign it's going to be colder faster and hit the unlikeliest of places............again.
Has anyone noticed that the days are getting shorter again? Means that the tilt of the planet is causing the north face of the planet to be farther away from the sun, and that means it is going to get cold again. Isnt it amazing how that works...

Has anyone noticed that the days are getting shorter again? Means that the tilt of the planet is causing the north face of the planet to be farther away from the sun, and that means it is going to get cold again. Isnt it amazing how that works...

Yeah. Amazing. I have grown accustomed to it not even getting cold until about January and even then it's more chilly than cold. So, I'm not really down with the whole lets be "cold" earlier and also not down with the Vortex reaching down into Oklahoma, Texas, and Mexico.

Yeah...pretty sure they call this phenomenon fall.
Just wait,if you find this interesting now just wait till winter!!!

The butterfly migration is cool to see up close.
They covered all the huge pecan trees on our property in Junction Tx. And I mean literally covered them,they looked like leaves on the trees they were so thick.

Forum List

Back