MLK Took His Name From a German White Man. Is That Racist Cultural Appopriation?

WelfareQueen

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2013
Uranus
MLK's real name is Michael King Jr. During a visit to Germany the 1930's he visited several historic sites dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther who founded what became the Protestant Reformation.

MLK obviously must have liked the name because he took it for his own.

So the question is does MLK's taking a famous White German Man's name amount to a racist cultural appropriation? Is it wrong? Discuss.

Nah. It's all okey dokey cuz he's black and therefore no problem with him taking a white guys name but heaven forbid if a white guy took a black man's name. BAD whitey. BAD.

See, cultural appropiation only pertains to white people. No dreadlocks, no multi braid weaves, no wearing of african print apparel, etc. HOWEVER, blacks can wear blonde/straight long hair wigs and "it isn't the same".

Nah. It's all okey dokey cuz he's black and therefore no problem with him taking a white guys name but heaven forbid if a white guy took a black man's name. BAD whitey. BAD.

See, cultural appropiation only pertains to white people. No dreadlocks, no multi braid weaves, no wearing of african print apparel, etc. HOWEVER, blacks can wear blonde/straight long hair wigs and "it isn't the same".

Thanks Gracie. My avatar in Martin Lawrence in drag wearing a fat suit so I guess I shouldn't talk about cultural appropriation. :(

By the way, I'm thinking about changing my name to Booker T. Washington or Frederick Douglas.....I haven't decided which yet. Hope that's okay. :D

Always different rules.

MLK's real name is Michael King Jr. During a visit to Germany the 1930's he visited several historic sites dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther who founded what became the Protestant Reformation.

So the question is does MLK's taking a famous White German Man's name amount to a racist cultural appropriation? Is it wrong? Discuss.
In later years, King Jr. had mixed feelings about his namesake. You know the 95 Theses.

There was another side to Martin Luther. The German priest was himself a bigot, who persecuted Jews and favored death for heretics. It was not until 1957, long after he became famous, that Martin Luther King Jr. finally got around to changing the name "Michael" on his birth certificate.

And it was his father who changed his name.

MLK wearing a suit is also cultural appropriation.

backout.gif

Forum List

Back