MLB may play ALL games in Phoenix as early as May!

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
There may not be any fans in the stands but let's get sports going. It's not just about the games there are massive numbers of jobs tied to baseball, let's play ball!

There may not be any fans in the stands but let's get sports going. It's not just about the games there are massive numbers of jobs tied to baseball, let's play ball!
THAT would be REALLY cool for baseball fans in Arizona, like you Mike. I hope this happens, for you and the many, many fans there who like baseball.

Cool as it might be for us in Phoenix....No. I'm a Detroit fan since '59. My first game Al Kaline was the Tigers RF. Al died today. This ends my childhood as officially as any event I can recall. The cities need their teams at home, Detroit does, Cleveland Does, New York REALLY does as well as all the others. Families to feed, jobs restored, memories made again after the plague leaves us. Let the Snakes play here, the rest of baseball needs a couple weeks in Florida/Arizona and then go home to their loyal fans.

THAT would be REALLY cool for baseball fans in Arizona, like you Mike. I hope this happens, for you and the many, many fans there who like baseball.
And RIP, Al Kaline. He was a fine, fine ballplayer who played his entire 22 year career for the Detroit Tigers. He was one of very few players that had over 3,000 hits in his career. He finished with 3,007, just ahead of Roberto Clemente, who finished with exactly 3,000 hits.

Cool as it might be for us in Phoenix....No. I'm a Detroit fan since '59. My first game Al Kaline was the Tigers RF. Al died today. This ends my childhood as officially as any event I can recall. The cities need their teams at home, Detroit does, Cleveland Does, New York REALLY does as well as all the others. Families to feed, jobs restored, memories made again after the plague leaves us. Let the Snakes play here, the rest of baseball needs a couple weeks in Florida/Arizona and then go home to their loyal fans.
Interestingly enough, I posted about Al Kaline JUST after you did.

And RIP, Al Kaline. He was a fine, fine ballplayer who played his entire 22 year career for the Detroit Tigers. He was one of very few players that had over 3,000 hits in his career. He finished with 3,007, just ahead of Roberto Clemente, who finished with exactly 3,000 hits.
I checked, only 32 players have reached the 3,000 hit milestone in their careers. Quite an exclusive club.

What about the players? Players get sick, as do their families. As do the people flying the planes to take them to Phoenix. And no social distancing.

No.

I checked, only 32 players have reached the 3,000 hit milestone in their careers. Quite an exclusive club.

And 10 Gold Gloves....Al is one of 4...Mays, Clemente, Ichiro, and Kaline. He was an assassin in RF....he'd hold the ball on a base hit, daring a runner to try for 3rd....only fools tried....one-hopper to the bag....even the fastest guys out by 3 feet. Kaline didn't showboat...he'd trot back to his position while the fans sat in awe...no matter how many times you saw him do it it was still unreal. 299 HRs....I wonder how many winter evenings in his retirement he poured over the stats trying go find a dinger that never got counted. I must say, he was a prick about autographs for us kids....he wouldn't sign. I always liked Colavito better but Kaline was always the best.

I'm looking at a cactus right now.

Well what they're saying is no fans in attendance so there would be no difference whether you live in Arizona or not. I just want the dang season to start. It would of course be televised and the players miked up. Very different but it's baseball.

What about the players? Players get sick, as do their families. As do the people flying the planes to take them to Phoenix. And no social distancing.

No.

The board Karen comes in to monitor the Social Distancing.

Who are you reporting to, Karen? Do you report people yet, or are you working up to it?

No.

The board Karen comes in to monitor the Social Distancing.

Who are you reporting to, Karen? Do you report people yet, or are you working up to it?

You really are that stupid, aren't you. No wonder you voted for Donald Trump. Since conservatives don't a lick of common sense, here goes:

1. There are 28 teams of 24 players each, plus coaches, trainers, and physio people, and a three man umpiring crew for each game. We're talking appproximately 1500 people total, if we only deal with necessary staff.

2. You will also need a 3-man umpire team, camera crews, equipment and broadcast teams for 14 games per day.

3. All hotels and restaurants are closed. Where are you going to put these all of these people and how will they eat?

4. Baseball is played 7 days a week, with each team having one off day per week - Monday or Thursday. So There are 14 baseball games played most days . You would need 14 baseball parks with lights and broadcasting facilities in each park, to run these games. These parks would have to be well groomed and maintained - up to major league standards.

And I didn't even raise the issue of social distance.

There has to be a lot of questions of salaries for everyone involved. There is also the question of the expensive Cable TV rates with a good percentage coming from the sports networks forced on people. Cable TV must be pushed to provide Cable Stations by ala carte or individual channels for basic. We may have less channels, but we won't be subsidizing someone or some entity by force either anymore. Pay for what you want.

There has to be a lot of questions of salaries for everyone involved. There is also the question of the expensive Cable TV rates with a good percentage coming from the sports networks forced on people. Cable TV must be pushed to provide Cable Stations by ala carte or individual channels for basic. We may have less channels, but we won't be subsidizing someone or some entity by force either anymore. Pay for what you want.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
That is an option. Not all people are tech ready. The politicians can put a Bill into Congress for Cable TV reform. They do not. Why? And with it, they can take care of the scam phone calls. They do not. Why?

1. There are 28 teams of 24 players each, plus coaches, trainers, and physio people, and a three man umpiring crew for each game. We're talking appproximately 1500 people total, if we only deal with necessary staff.

There are 30 MLB teams with 26 man rosters which will expand to 28 players for the playoffs. You shoot your filthy mouth off without a clue.....find some canuck board to pollute, skag.

There are 30 MLB teams with 26 man rosters which will expand to 28 players for the playoffs. You shoot your filthy mouth off without a clue.....find some canuck board to pollute, skag.

I'm sorry. I didn't provide exact numbers. My point was it was a dumb idea, and just because there are more players teams, and people involved doesn't mean it's any less practical. I'm a former season's ticket fan of the Toronto Blue Jays and our Baby Jays are looking good. I'm jones-ing to watch them play real bad here, but as always, you're really have not thought this through.

Stupid Sue said I was objecting on "social distancing" grounds, telling everyone what to do, and I was proving her wrong. You conservatives hate being proven to be full of shit, but you are. Especially on this.

But worst of all, you get angry at liberals for shooting holes in your fact free ideas, and focusing on the practical issues. Just like Trump getting angry with reporters who continue to tell the public what the governors and the staffers are not allowed to say: hospital staff are criminally short of PPE's, masks, and testing supplies, and they cannot do their jobs if they get sick.

You have no national plan for defeating this thing, and this scattershot approach is simply entending the outbreaks.

I'm sorry. I didn't provide exact numbers. My point was it was a dumb idea, and just because there are more players teams, and people involved doesn't mean it's any less practical. I'm a former season's ticket fan of the Toronto Blue Jays and our Baby Jays are looking good. I'm jones-ing to watch them play real bad here, but as always, you're really have not thought this through.

Stupid Sue said I was objecting on "social distancing" grounds, telling everyone what to do, and I was proving her wrong. You conservatives hate being proven to be full of shit, but you are. Especially on this.

But worst of all, you get angry at liberals for shooting holes in your fact free ideas, and focusing on the practical issues. Just like Trump getting angry with reporters who continue to tell the public what the governors and the staffers are not allowed to say: hospital staff are criminally short of PPE's, masks, and testing supplies, and they cannot do their jobs if they get sick.

You have no national plan for defeating this thing, and this scattershot approach is simply entending the outbreaks.

National plan is working fine....you're full of shit about everything and when it's proven, instead of apologizing and shutting up, you simply up the insults.....go away.

The players union says "no".

Forum List

Back