MK19 grenade launcher -bada$$

..I've seen these fired and the impact area......just think of multiple grenades falling all over you....and very accurately .....an '''MG'''--but with grenades ......hell on Earth
--.I've seen most of the infantry and some air weapons used in the military, but this one awes me the most
nighttime impacts here:

When did you get one?

pic above of our Company's MK19 in Ecuador ..post # 18

..I've seen these fired and the impact area......just think of multiple grenades falling all over you....and very accurately .....an '''MG'''--but with grenades ......hell on Earth
--.I've seen most of the infantry and some air weapons used in the military, but this one awes me the most
nighttime impacts here:

When did you get one?

All we had was the single shot ones in the 1980's..I was in anti-armor missiles systems of the TOW I and II systems, we used the Dragon for light armor. I never got to fire one I just got to do maint. and repair.

nighttime impacts here:

When did you get one?

All we had was the single shot ones in the 1980's..I was in anti-armor missiles systems of the TOW I and II systems, we used the Dragon for light armor. I never got to fire one I just got to do maint. and repair.

I've got a pic of a TOW also--I'll post it
....I saw the Dragons ''skipping''' across the desert--cool
....at Twenty-Nine Palms, we [ Mortars ] were in like a hollow in the desert one time....all of a sudden, we hear something and see our camo nets moving.....and felt a slight blast ......then the Marine next to me said ''look at this'''--it was a wire from a TOW...they did not know we were there and fired it very CLOSE to us !!!

Ecuadorians around TOW
tow.jpg

..now that I posted the TOW, I'm wondering/remembering which unit had the MK19 and TOW.....we had more than just the Weapons Company with us...I'll have to try to remember and research it

Nice. Looked like a pregnant M-2 until I noticed the dual charging handles that operate independent. Wonder what that function is about, timing reset?
..we did have basic classes and firing off ship on the M2 ..they set one up on ship ..I've got a pic of that also
Closest I ever got to a ship was swimming M113's.
.we had AAV7s..I even got to drive one on an out-of-the-way Brazilian beach .....one time, we got to go down the nets into an LCVP or something, like in WW2
..I was on 4 ships--2 LSTs, an LHA, and the old LPH USS Inchon.--in less than 4 years....probably more ships than some sailors have been on in the same time period because I think they stay on their own ship for their time in
Sounds cool. Lot of hard work, I'm sure.
for the sailors [ ducks ]
So shipboard duty for a Marine is actually pretty good duty? That's good.
o, heck yeah..no 10 mile humps/etc.....we take classes, then get off for chow.....main thing we did was work out [ PT ] --on our own and with the unit......I loved it ......I read and worked out mostly.......
Good job. Somebody had to do it.

nighttime impacts here:

That'd be great for hog eradication here in Texas!!!

nighttime impacts here:

is there a hog problem?

nighttime impacts here:

is there a hog problem?

Yep....A massive one!!!
Hog hunting by helicopter is really big here.

nighttime impacts here:

is there a hog problem?

Yep....A massive one!!!
Hog hunting by helicopter is really big here.

..we had wild hogs or whatever around our base in Hawaii......one time some Navy guy goes running into our guard shack and said ''we need firepower'''!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHH there was a hog running loose in housing....he didn't realize we couldn't go shooting up the place!!!!!!!...I think our SOG went over there ...maybe chased it out or something

nighttime impacts here:

I've been out for 18 years and I'm still pissed my unit wouldn't let me qualify on one.

nighttime impacts here:

I've been out for 18 years and I'm still pissed my unit wouldn't let me qualify on one.

was that your MOS?

nighttime impacts here:

was that your MOS?

Nope. I worked on computers and managed networks, and email servers, but was in the 10th Mountain Division every support unit had a 19 and a couple M2's. I did get to qualify on the .50 and SAW.

Pretty easy to launch grenades in an open field that the enemy vacated . The tactical problem is having the launching gizmo exposed in open areas wdue to the relatively short range or grenades bouncing back in a wooded or jungle arena.

nighttime impacts here:

was that your MOS?

Nope. I worked on computers and managed networks, and email servers, but was in the 10th Mountain Division every support unit had a 19 and a couple M2's. I did get to qualify on the .50 and SAW.

.....in the FMF, I don't recall the other Weapons units being at the same range as we were......but I got transferred to a ''smaller'''/different unit that went to South America......so we had the MK19/etc with us down there......we could do whatever we wanted

Hand grenades are intended for short range combat. In the Marines we had a drill where we had to run down a path with a practice grenade and pull the pin and pop the spoon and keep running to the side a simulated bunker where we would reach around and dump the (live) grenade. If you didn't get the timing right the thing would go off in your hands. I always had a pretty good throwing arm but I'm left handed and the USMC operates in a right handed world. The instructors on the live grenade range would try to put the frag grenade in the wrong hand while you were facing in the wrong direction. It led to some confusion but I always got the thing off OK. I often wonder if female military personnel were exempt from the live grenade range or God help the poor instructor.

Forum List

Back