Mixed race pizza shop owner gets dragged for claiming black owned business

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
Tribalism alive and well.

When Davina Dickens first placed a cardboard “Black-owned” sign in the window of her Oakland restaurant, Graffiti Pizza, she didn’t think that roughly a year later she would have to stand next to it and try to convince people that she is Black.

But this was the situation she found herself in on May 8, when Dickens said a Black father and son came to her pizzeria’s door. The father asked to speak with the owner after noticing the sign, which Dickens put up to show solidarity with the anti-racism protests that swept the country after George Floyd’s murder last summer.

“When I told him it was me, he told me he didn’t think I was Black,” Dickens recalled. “I told him I was. In fact, I even pulled my mask down. I said to him, ‘My father looks just like you’... They started laughing and walking away.”
Unfortunately for some multiracial Black people, having their Blackness dismissed is a familiar experience..............................

Graffiti received so many one-star Yelp reviews within 24 hours that Yelp placed an “Unusual Activity Alert” on the restaurant’s profile. The company does this when a business gets an influx of negative comments not related to customer experience. The toxic reviews fixated on the pizzeria’s disputed ownership.

No one believes me when I tell them y mother was half Black

Whenever I'm asked about race on any forms or documents i just leave it blank.

Unfortunately for some multiracial Black people, having their Blackness dismissed is a familiar experience......
If you're Black or part Black, and you marry someone who is White — not that I'd find fault with that, but — eventually you and/or your kids just kind assimilate into the surrounding culture. People are just people, and race isn't so noticeable or sharply distinguished anymore.

IDK. There is this black purity thing I guess. When I was in college there was the guy who stayed in the same room with me on Spring break who was black and identified as black and the maids that came into the room declared he wasn't black. Turned out his dad was white but I had never known that. Apparently they knew because of his eyes, not his skin tone though.

I heard someone on NPR once advocating a 20 year rules for reparations--a person must have identified as black for 20 years to be eligible.

When Davina Dickens first placed a cardboard “Black-owned” sign in the window of her Oakland restaurant, Graffiti Pizza, she didn’t think that roughly a year later she would have to stand next to it and try to convince people that she is Black.

But this was the situation she found herself in on May 8, when Dickens said a Black father and son came to her pizzeria’s door. The father asked to speak with the owner after noticing the sign, which Dickens put up to show solidarity with the anti-racism protests that swept the country after George Floyd’s murder last summer.

“When I told him it was me, he told me he didn’t think I was Black,” Dickens recalled. “I told him I was. In fact, I even pulled my mask down. I said to him, ‘My father looks just like you’... They started laughing and walking away.”
Unfortunately for some multiracial Black people, having their Blackness dismissed is a familiar experience..............................

Graffiti received so many one-star Yelp reviews within 24 hours that Yelp placed an “Unusual Activity Alert” on the restaurant’s profile. The company does this when a business gets an influx of negative comments not related to customer experience. The toxic reviews fixated on the pizzeria’s disputed ownership.

I thought democrats followed the "one drop rule?"

Besides, if she identifies as black that's all that matters.

Yes, pretty much like a lot of right wingers claimed Kamala or Obama wasn't black because they were biracial....

And yet...judging by the racially fixated attacks on them by those same right wingers...that tells me they believe they were black...

No one said that stupid. They pointed out that Kamaltoe isn't "African American" because her roots are not from Africa.

You're as dumb as you are dishonest, Buff_Knobpolisher

Last edited:
Race is a bullshit concept used by the left to divide Americans. We are a single human race, and we should strive to be a single cultural society. That is not going to happen while leftist parasites infest our educational institutions, media, and halls of governance.

And the issue here was.........................?

And the issue here was.........................?
Just another woe is me story from a few blacks in America today. I know, it's old and tired, like Biff's so-called satire.

Forum List

Back