Mitt Romney...Gun grabber.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
[youtube]F9Ygw9CQ9po&feature=related[/youtube]

Meet the Press, 2007 (Video Above)
Q: Are you still for the Brady Bill?

A: The Brady Bill has changed over time, and, of course, technology has changed over time. I would have supported the original assault weapon ban. I signed an assault weapon ban in Massachusetts governor because it provided for a relaxation of licensing requirements for gun owners in Massachusetts, which was a big plus. And so both the pro-gun and the anti-gun lobby came together with a bill, and I signed that. And if there is determined to be, from time to time, a weapon of such lethality that it poses a grave risk to our law enforcement personnel, that’s something I would consider signing. There’s nothing of that nature that’s being proposed today in Washington. But I would look at weapons that pose extraordinary lethality.

Source: Meet the Press: 2007 “Meet the Candidates” series Dec 16, 2007

Relating to this original position quoted during Romney's Massachusetts U.S. Senator election bid:
Romney does support assault weapons bill and Brady Bill

The candidate [Mitt Romney] reiterated his support for an assault weapons ban contained in Congress’ crime bill, and the Brady law which imposes a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases.

‘I don’t think (the waiting period) will have a massive effect on crime but I think it will have a positive effect,’ Romney said.

Source: Joe Battenfeld in Boston Herald Aug 1, 1994

This is close to the top of my list of Romney flip-flops.

How can Romney sign an weapons ban as Governor of Massachusetts, say that had he been president he would have signed the Clinton Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, and then join the NRA as a life member in 2006 as a life member and try to pass himself off as pro-second amendment?

Why hasn't Romney been questioned about this during the first 3 debates ?

Forum List

Back