Mississippi Senator Suggests Sunday Voting Will Offend God

No one wants to restrict legal citizens from voting, we do have laws.

Well, I suspect the good Senator is very aware of the role that the black churches play in organizing their congregants in political participation. And if she can put a speed-bump in the way of those churches in motivating the assembly on Sunday and then taking the church bus to a polling station....well, some hindrance does works for her white-think.

And too, Sunday is a more assured day of not being on-the-job for many Mississippi black constituents. In other words, they are more likely to have that day off, and thus able to vote.
And that doesn't work for her white-think.

Now, my caveat: I don't live in Mississippi. I don't vote there. I only read stuff about Mississippi. But, that has only infrequently stopped me from forming an opinion. ;)

My question is still the same.

How is not allowing voting on Sundays going to stop fraud that doesn't exist?

It's just too bad that those of us who aren't of that religion aren't given that same freedom.
I'm confused by this statement. How have you been forced to take part in ANY religion, especially by a government entity? If that's actually happening, I agree that it should stop. Our constitution did not stress or demand a lack of religion, it only says the state cannot choose one and force the people to follow it.

I'm not christian. Yet that republican is forcing her christian beliefs on me by denying Sunday voting.

If she doesn't want to vote on Sunday because of her faith, great. I support her choice.

She doesn't support mine.

She believes that because she is christian and doesn't want to vote on Sunday that it's ok to not allow anyone to vote on Sunday. No matter if they are christian or not.

I am surprised you didn't see that.

Considering the Sabbath of Gods Chosen People (i.e. the Jews, says so in the Bible), was from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday, I think that God would be cool with Sunday voting.
That Sabbath is for ALL Mankind, not just the Jews. But if it interfers with so many "Christians" voting, it should never be on that day of the week. The OP would just like to keep those pesky Christians from interfering with her godless agenda

I guess you don't understand how Sunday voting works. They aren't stopping Christians from voting, as many tell them to vote AFTER they go to church. Look up "souls to the polls" sometime. They wait until after the service to take people to vote.

And.......................church services only take up a couple of hours on Sunday, there is plenty of time to go vote before or after.

Well, I suspect the good Senator is very aware of the role that the black churches play in organizing their congregants in political participation. And if she can put a speed-bump in the way of those churches in motivating the assembly on Sunday and then taking the church bus to a polling station....well, some hindrance does works for her white-think.

Why do voting rights need to be expanded? Are democrats having a problem?

Senator hyde-smith seriously needs to read the constitution.

The first amendment prohibits the government putting one religion above another. We have a separation of church and state in America.

No religious book should have any influence on our laws.

No one is forcing anyone to vote on Sunday. Yet republicans are using the bible to force people to not be able to vote on Sunday.

If you don't want to vote on Sunday, no one is forcing you to. Why do republicans believe they have the right to force their religion on the whole nation?

There millions of Americans who aren't christian and we are sick and tired of christians forcing their religion on us.

Believe whatever you want. Just don't force it on our nation and for heaven's sake, stop using your religion and religious book as an excuse to prevent people from voting.

Part of the voter suppression campaign now going on in republican controlled states. Not only outlawing voting after church services but restricting the hours polls are open..number of polling places and get this..in Georgia, illegal to offer water and snacks to those standing for hours in long line. Just trying to ensure election integrity my ass..

The first amendment prohibits the government putting one religion above another. We have a separation of church and state in America.

No one is forcing anyone to vote on Sunday. Yet republicans are using the bible to force people to not be able to vote on Sunday.

If you don't want to vote on Sunday, no one is forcing you to. Why do republicans believe they have the right to force their religion on the whole nation?

There millions of Americans who aren't christian and we are sick and tired of christians forcing their religion on us.

Believe whatever you want. Just don't force it on our nation and for heaven's sake, stop using your religion and religious book as an excuse to prevent people from voting.

Part of the voter suppression campaign now going on in republican controlled states. Not only outlawing voting after church services but restricting the hours polls are open..number of polling places and get this..in Georgia, illegal to offer water and snacks to those standing for hours in long line. Just trying to ensure election integrity my ass..
I agree, there should be equal opportunity for voting, enough voting locations to accommodate all people and open at times convenient to people to vote. Having said that, there also needs to be safeguards to ensure voting integrity.

• First, I'd suggest that the Presidential election day.......be a national holiday.
  • Second, if you are a registered voter....you automatically get an application for a mail-in ballot.

We could go through a whole hit-parade of suggestions, I'm sure.

But, I'll open the bidding with those two.

9FCD6D1B-3B60-418D-A02A-311A03BB0699.jpeg

you should have to vote for a candidate God likes.

You know, poster, that is the most interesting comment of yours that I've read on this chatroom.

So, how are we gonna know who god likes?

Does he/she send an unequivocal signal?
Or just figure whoever we pick is OK with him/her?

I like the idea of some god being a kingmaker........but, can we be confident in his/her judgement on such matters?

I mean, he/she has made some pretty lousy kings in the past, and recent past. No?

Shouldn't you concern yourself with what you appointed for POTUS as opposed idiocy that has no meaning?

Republicans are scum for trying to restrict voting but so is this tactic.
If your going to vote on God's day, you should have to vote for a candidate God likes.
Fortunately for all the lazy out there, I have compiled a complete list of politicians that God would support:

And, because I am a profit, here is the list of all future politicians that fit into that category:

And there you have it, a complete list of all the righteous and virtuous politicians we will ever have :p

No one wants to restrict legal citizens from voting, we do have laws.

And too, Sunday is a more assured day of not being on-the-job for many Mississippi black constituents. In other words, they are more likely to have that day off, and thus able to vote.
And that doesn't work for her white-think.

Now, my caveat: I don't live in Mississippi. I don't vote there. I only read stuff about Mississippi. But, that has only infrequently stopped me from forming an opinion. ;)
White think?

Is that all you have? Open racism. At least there is no question that you are a racist. Thanks for the info.

Republicans are scum for trying to restrict voting but so is this tactic.
If your going to vote on God's day, you should have to vote for a candidate God likes.

It's often been said by many preachers that no man can know the mind of God, so how in the hell would you know which ones God does and doesn't like? Besides, I think that God is more concerned with how we treat each other more than He is concerned with politics. And, if God truly didn't like a particular politician, all He would have to do is send something their way to take them out.

WRONG, pipsqueek. All the law says is that government shall not come between YOU and your faith, it says nothing about the government not having faith, or that there should be a total absence of religion in all things tied to the government.

Votes here are always on Sundays...public transportation is free on that day and they have some coffee and sweets for free for them who B voting

Yes I know about that new law in Georgia. I sure hope it's not allowed to stand. I'm sure that the lawsuits challenging it will be filed soon.

I keep asking how all these changes will prevent non existent fraud but I never get an answer.

Forum List

Back