Miss. forbids teachers from 'displaying sex-ed materials in sex-ed classes'

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Teacher fired for allowing a student to put a condom on a cucumber

"Sex education in America has come under scrutiny after a high school teacher was allegedly “put on leave” for allowing a student to put a condom on a cucumber during a safe sex practices demonstration in class.

According to a Change.org petition which called for the teacher to be reinstated, Sherre Ferguson - an English teacher at Starkville High School in Mississippi - was “put on leave from the school” and “told to gather her things and go home” after the student chose to discuss the role of a sexologist for a career day task.

The relatives of the student in question who began the petition said: “We are not sure where Ms Ferguson’s actions crossed the line. We have discovered Mississippi has a law forbidding teachers from presenting sex ed materials in class. We are not aware of any such law forbidding students from doing so.

“Further, we have learned there is a ban in Mississippi on educators conducting condom demonstrations within the context of an abstinence-plus sex education program but, as this was a series of career day presentations, we are unclear as to whether this policy would apply to a student’s job demonstration.”"

rest at link

Geez, can't we just boot Mississippi from the Union? :)

Sounds like the teach violated Mississippi law, what's the problem?

The two words before "what's the problem".
Wonder if Mississippi law forbids geography teachers from using globes or maps.

How dare a teacher engage in something that might interrupt the flow of teenage pregnancy. That's something "God intended to happen". Burn him at the stake!

I'm confused. Did I miss the latest list of things that aren't pc? Cucumbers are the latest no no? Too southern? Too cracker? Folks are all micro aggressed over a common vegetable? Perhaps if the student had demonstrated condom dressing with his own penis instead of a cucumber the teacher wouldn't have been so very scrutinized?

And "abstinence-plus sex education program" means, what now?

Last edited:
Clearly we need to get Monsanto on the case to develop a cucumber that looks more like a vagina.

That's how we roll in Murka! Corporatia to the rescue!

I'm confused. Did I miss the latest list of things that aren't pc? Cucumbers are the latest no no? Too southern? Too cracker? Folks are all micro aggressed over a common vegetable? Perhaps if the student had demonstrated condom dressing with his own penis instead of a cucumber the teacher wouldn't have been so very scrutinized?

It means that, in addition to telling kids how to have sex, the teacher is allowed to tell them it's not a good idea to be doing it when they're 14 years old.

"Sex education in America has come under scrutiny after a high school teacher was allegedly “put on leave” for allowing a student to put a condom on a cucumber during a safe sex practices demonstration in class.

According to a Change.org petition which called for the teacher to be reinstated, Sherre Ferguson - an English teacher at Starkville High School in Mississippi - was “put on leave from the school” and “told to gather her things and go home” after the student chose to discuss the role of a sexologist for a career day task.

“Further, we have learned there is a ban in Mississippi on educators conducting condom demonstrations within the context of an abstinence-plus sex education program but, as this was a series of career day presentations, we are unclear as to whether this policy would apply to a student’s job demonstration.”"

Perhaps I had a stroke overnight, but this loses me. Who's career day, the teacher or the student? It seems like it's talking about the student in light of the "student's job demonstration". The student has a job demonstrating putting condoms on cucumbers? Gee, sounds highly technical. Maybe lucrative, too. High school seems a bit late for this sort of training since most kids have attempted the action just prior to puberty.

It means that, in addition to telling kids how to have sex, the teacher is allowed to tell them it's not a good idea to be doing it when they're 14 years old.
Wait. You're saying that common sense is back in style?

Wait. You're saying that common sense is back in style?
No, not "in style". The glitterati who claim to be arbiters of style do not embrace common sense. For the rest of us, though...

The relatives of the student in question who began the petition said: “We are not sure where Ms Ferguson’s actions crossed the line. We have discovered Mississippi has a law forbidding teachers from presenting sex ed materials in class. We are not aware of any such law forbidding students from doing so.

rest at link

Geez, can't we just boot Mississippi from the Union? :)

Why is an English teacher teaching sex ed?

Forum List

Back