Minimum wage and video games

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
How many people working minimum wage jobs and supposedly needing government assistance have video game systems? Do you think it's a significant percentage?

Is it the job of government to make people comfortable in part-time jobs? How comfortable?

I'm happy if people in food service can afford video consoles. However, if they can afford new video game systems they don't need taxpayers to help them buy food, and stories about how bad off these workers are lose some punch.

In Wisconsin you can make so much on public assistance that it wouldn't be worth your while to take a job which paid less than $10 an hour.

My old buddy Ben said it quite well over 200 years ago,

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.” ― Benjamin Franklin

I'm inclined to believe that those words are just as applicable today as they were when he uttered them.

My old buddy Ben said it quite well over 200 years ago,

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.” ― Benjamin Franklin

I'm inclined to believe that those words are just as applicable today as they were when he uttered them.

^there's not much to add to those words of wisdom. Imo, there's a culture of entitlement that is detrimental.

I cant remember the posters name....

But there was some thread where he was talking about how hard it was to be on welfare, food stamps..ect... and them came in just happy as a clam his new purchase of the latest and greatest game console.

it is not just game consoles.... it is all the nice little luxuries that to many feel is a right. Smart Phones, computers, junk food......

I agree.... in many states they will make out better on the dole then working..... Entitlements combined.... should be less then half of what a full time minimum wage would net them in a month.

It is NOT the governments to make anyone comfortable in any way. Comfortable... that is up to the individual to go out and work like a dog and then enjoy the fruits of that labor...or what that labor can afford them.

• Banned
Why do you guys give a fuck if someone has a Xbox or PlayStation?

tapatalk post

A topic of the day is that the minimum wage should be raised because the "working poor" are so bad off that they can't get by without the gov't supplementing their wages.

If they're able to buy extras like PlayStations then that pulls the pins out from under the argument that they aren't making a living wage. How is government intervention needed in a case like that?

tapatalk post

I dont...so long as you are not using my tax dollars to help you purchase said..... luxury item game console.

you know...one of those addictive things that wastes your time...... time that said entitlement junkie...should be working or out looking for a job.

tapatalk post

A topic of the day is that the minimum wage should be raised because the "working poor" are so bad off that they can't get by without the gov't supplementing their wages.

If they're able to buy extras like PlayStations then that pulls the pins out from under the argument that they aren't making a living wage. How is government intervention needed in a case like that?

The topic is wages for the middle class haven't risen with costs. Minimum wage is the base for all pay.

tapatalk post

in my opinion, no. If you can afford ANY extras.... then they dont need any help at all.

Time off working....is luxury time, play time. Said minimum wage working poor....should get themselves a second or third job.

tapatalk post

I dont...so long as you are not using my tax dollars to help you purchase said..... luxury item game console.

you know...one of those addictive things that wastes your time...... time that said entitlement junkie...should be working or out looking for a job.

I don't make much over minimum wage and I just bought a ps4 . I don't get government money. Yet my point is valid because i saved for it

tapatalk post

tapatalk post

The topic is wages for the middle class haven't risen with costs. Minimum wage is the base for all pay.

then what you are saying..... government is going to try an force everyone's pay up.

tapatalk post

I don't make much over minimum wage and I just bought a ps4 . I don't get government money. Yet my point is valid because i saved for it

tapatalk post

if you dont get any government entitlements.... i hope you enjoy your game to its fullest. :)

I think poverty should be painful. Think of it as incentive to get out of poverty.

It is. Try cutting your food bill to the amount given in food stamps.

something is better then nothing at all......

so long as junk food and luxury items are allowed with food stamps...i have zero pity.

I doubt they give enough to eat healthy on food stamps lol that shit is expensive

tapatalk post

XXXXXXX I've seen people on foodstamps receive literally hundreds of dollars each month...more than i could ever eat. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

tapatalk post

if you dont get any government entitlements.... i hope you enjoy your game to its fullest. :)

Entitlement programs in the US include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans' Administration programs, federal employee and military retirement plans, unemployment compensation, and food stamps.

Are you writing that the above folks shouldn't have video games?

It is. Try cutting your food bill to the amount given in food stamps.

so long as junk food and luxury items are allowed with food stamps...i have zero pity.

I doubt they give enough to eat healthy on food stamps lol that shit is expensive

tapatalk post

the idea behind food stamps is to keep people from..... "starving" It is not to satisfy junk food jonesing and a sweet tooth.

How to Spot a Sociopath | Psychology Today

Nonsense. I've seen people on foodstamps receive literally hundreds of dollars each month...more than i could ever eat. It's ridiculous.

How many people were in their family?

New Topics

Forum List

Back