Minimalism

Why are people so consumed with their stuff?

Is it just that we have been conditioned by our consumption based society?

Is there some emotional need that is being filled by acquiring items?

I grew up with very little and no means to get much other than the basics but when I started to attain more disposable income, I fell into the consumerism trap for a while. I spent money on all kinds of things I didn't really need looking back i wonder if i ever really wanted them.

For the past 10 years or so I have been getting rid of stuff in my life. I don't buy what I don't need but that doesn't mean I don't have some luxuries because I do.

I have found getting rid of stuff has not only made my home environment more pleasing and relaxing but that I seem to be more productive as well.

What is it about acquiring stuff that drives so many people?
BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

I guess you could say I have a lot of stuff since it took 3000 sq ft to house it and none of its in my house,,

but all my stuff makes money,, I only buy tools that do more than pay for themselves,,

now my wife on the otherhand doesnt understand that concept and I have to constantly keep on her to not bring more stuff into the house,,
So you have 3000 sf full of tools that make money?

You have to use tools in order for them to make money. If you have a shop full of tools gathering dust then all you have is a shop full of stuff collecting dust
some are collecting dust until I decide to use or sell them,, either way they are of value

Maybe.

I grew up with very little and no means to get much other than the basics but when I started to attain more disposable income, I fell into the consumerism trap for a while. I spent money on all kinds of things I didn't really need looking back i wonder if i ever really wanted them.

For the past 10 years or so I have been getting rid of stuff in my life. I don't buy what I don't need but that doesn't mean I don't have some luxuries because I do.

I have found getting rid of stuff has not only made my home environment more pleasing and relaxing but that I seem to be more productive as well.

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

I guess you could say I have a lot of stuff since it took 3000 sq ft to house it and none of its in my house,,

but all my stuff makes money,, I only buy tools that do more than pay for themselves,,

now my wife on the otherhand doesnt understand that concept and I have to constantly keep on her to not bring more stuff into the house,,

You have to use tools in order for them to make money. If you have a shop full of tools gathering dust then all you have is a shop full of stuff collecting dust
some are collecting dust until I decide to use or sell them,, either way they are of value

Maybe.
not much different than a million dollar painting hanging in the bathroom,,

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

Maybe.

Year a dusty table saw is just like that

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

Maybe.

and so is an unoccupied building,,

People think their stuff is some measure of their worth.
thats exactly how worth/wealth works,,,
It depends on what the stuff is.

All those drawers and closets full of crap aren't worth much but a single portfolio of stocks, bonds and real estate deeds can be worth more than all the stuff in your home

You're confusing hoarders with collectors. I seldom ever buy anything unless it's something I can use, admire, trade, or sell.

All hoarders say they are collectors.

But you seem to get enjoyment from stuff so in that sense it's worth something to you.

No. Hoarders collect newspapers, tin cans, plastic bottles, Walmart sacks, etc. Not unlike leftards who recycle, actually.

I don't recycle garbage or unusable shit. It goes to the township dump or ends up in the burn barrel.

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

Maybe.

An unoccupied building is not an asset it actually costs money and if it stays empty long enough you will lose money on it.

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

Maybe.

An unoccupied building is not an asset it actually costs money and if it stays empty long enough you will lose money on it.
semantics,,,

People think their stuff is some measure of their worth.
thats exactly how worth/wealth works,,,
It depends on what the stuff is.

All those drawers and closets full of crap aren't worth much but a single portfolio of stocks, bonds and real estate deeds can be worth more than all the stuff in your home

You're confusing hoarders with collectors. I seldom ever buy anything unless it's something I can use, admire, trade, or sell.

All hoarders say they are collectors.

But you seem to get enjoyment from stuff so in that sense it's worth something to you.

No. Hoarders collect newspapers, tin cans, plastic bottles, Walmart sacks, etc. Not unlike leftards who recycle, actually.

I don't recycle garbage or unusable shit. It goes to the township dump or ends up in the burn barrel.

Not necessarily true.

A guy could have a house filled from floor to ceiling with car parts and tools and he would still be a hoarder.

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

Maybe.

semantics,,,

No it's true. Take from me I made my living on residential and commercial rentals.

I found a picture of a millennial. In the picture, he is holding all of his meager worldly possessions.

:laughing0301:

c04a3a7757718cca8bf4a437c699cf0f.jpg

BEHOLD,, MY STUFF!!!

Maybe.

semantics,,,

No it's true. Take from me I made my living on residential and commercial rentals.
I didnt say it wasnt true,,

Millennials are the worst, as far as not having stuff. Most of their homes look sterile to me: They have a bed, a table, some chairs, and a television.

My guess is that they have no sense of tradition, history, or value.

But what is value?

Is buying stuff that ends up in a closet, a drawer , in the basement, garage or rented storage space really valuable to the person that bought it?

Value is things which are no longer obtainable: Guns, guitars, vintage cars, antiques, collectibles, etc. Things that remind you of a time which is forever gone. Things that also accumulate value over time, as opposed to things made out of cheap Chinese plastic, that were meant to be thrown away.

Value is subjective.

Personally I don't think vintage cars are of much value. I used to have a dozen or more guitars. I had guitars that hadn't been played for years in a closet. There was no value in those guitars because they weren't being used to make music and no one was enjoying them. I donated a bunch to the local elementary school and now there are many young people playing guitar that might not have had the chance to. To me that is far more valuable than letting them sit in a closet for 30 more years.

My brother collects guitars and amplifiers, as well as building his own. He has 1960's and 70's Fender, Gibson, Martin guitars, Fender and Marshall amps, effect pedals, and stuff. He's sitting on a small fortune and could dump it on Ebay if he knew how. I've seen some of those old 1960's Japanese-made fuzz pedals go for $300-$400 dollars these days, Gibson Les Paul guitars bringing $50,000.

Here's a 1960 Fender Strat that brought $27,500...

Fender vintage Stratocaster | eBay
That 27,500 will buy you a loaf of bread in the Biden economy with all the debt he is creating with all of these stimulus payments to everyone in the world.

Man craves impermanent things which do not satisfy him because he was made for more.

Forum List

Back