Mindless Confusion

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
We went out to see our daughter and granddaughters today and like everyone else she is home schooling. I talked to the girls about their homework and they said they were working on homophones. I said what was a homophone, never having heard the term, and they said a word that sounds the same but has different meaning. I said you mean a homonym and they said no a homophone so we went round and round until momma stepped in.

This example is just indicative of where education is today. Clarity is out the window and mindless confusion is the norm. I came home and looked up these terms. Homophone, homograph, homonym, and heterograph. Incredibly some of the words had the same definition. The only points of separation were that some words were spelled the same while other words were not. They literally used the example of right and write as the ones that were spelled the same. I don’t know how kids learn anything in today’s world. Math is taught like its English or new words with no function other than clutter pop up so some people can act smart explaining what their creations mean. Homonym covers it all, it’s words that sound the same but have different meaning. It covers all the definitions of all these other words. There is no need to embellish the meaning with a slew of new words that are just going to confuse already overwhelmed students And have no legitimate purpose except to add unnecessary layers of clutter to the learning process. Students bogged down with this crap then find it even more difficult to master straight line thinking because they are handcuffed by this nonsensical information that has to be processed. This in a nutshell is one of the reasons education today is such a huge fail for our young people.

We went out to see our daughter and granddaughters today and like everyone else she is home schooling. I talked to the girls about their homework and they said they were working on homophones. I said what was a homophone, never having heard the term, and they said a word that sounds the same but has different meaning. I said you mean a homonym and they said no a homophone so we went round and round until momma stepped in.

This example is just indicative of where education is today. Clarity is out the window and mindless confusion is the norm. I came home and looked up these terms. Homophone, homograph, homonym, and heterograph. Incredibly some of the words had the same definition. The only points of separation were that some words were spelled the same while other words were not. They literally used the example of right and write as the ones that were spelled the same. I don’t know how kids learn anything in today’s world. Math is taught like its English or new words with no function other than clutter pop up so some people can act smart explaining what their creations mean. Homonym covers it all, it’s words that sound the same but have different meaning. It covers all the definitions of all these other words. There is no need to embellish the meaning with a slew of new words that are just going to confuse already overwhelmed students And have no legitimate purpose except to add unnecessary layers of clutter to the learning process. Students bogged down with this crap then find it even more difficult to master straight line thinking because they are handcuffed by this nonsensical information that has to be processed. This in a nutshell is one of the reasons education today is such a huge fail for our young people.

We went out to see our daughter and granddaughters today and like everyone else she is home schooling.

It's not hard to understand.
A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but has a different meaning - they can be spelled differently.
A homonym is a word that is pronounced and spelled the same as another word but has a different meaning.

A homonym is a type of homophone.

Don't blame the education system...blame the English.

Are schools our inn sum trouble, that's four sure ... eye assume this is grammering school, sew maybee leave the fine distinction beetween the words alone until hi school oar sumthing ... won word at ah thyme is ok four the brauts ...

Eye sea the schools having to take on more parenting tasks over the decades ... too parent inn come families dew knot let parent dew this themselves ... the price ewe and eye pay ...

What dew ewe call a word that's spelt the same, pronounced the same, but has to definitions that our antonyms? ...

It's not hard to understand. A homonym is a word that is pronounced and spelled the same as another word but has a different meaning.

Ahhhh-- -- -- -- two words that are PRONOUNCED the same and SPELLED the same are THE SAME FREEKING WORD. How could they be different words with different meaning. It is the SAME WORD with more than one meaning or usage.

Ah, today's kids, whatcha gonna do?

We went out to see our daughter and granddaughters today and like everyone else she is home schooling.

Well one brain cell, our county was Coronavirus free until a 25 year old woman from new York went to the clinic. all my family has practiced social distancing and hand washing. We are not a bunch of sheep that are either reckless or scared and we will get on with our lives. And just to add to your horror we took my 95 year old mother in law with us. I appreciate your heartfelt concern for my well-bein.

It's not hard to understand. A homonym is a word that is pronounced and spelled the same as another word but has a different meaning.

Ahhhh-- -- -- -- two words that are PRONOUNCED the same and SPELLED the same are THE SAME FREEKING WORD. How could they be different words with different meaning. It is the SAME WORD with more than one meaning or usage.
He 'rose' from his chair.
The 'rose' had a sweet smell.

Uhmm.."reign" and "rein" and "rain" would be an example.

I could look it up in a 40s dictionary for you, if you like. :)

Actually, those are homophones. Homonyms are spelled the same but mean something different.

That's what it says. :dunno:
And then there's this:

Idk, long time ago.

k, Kay, Cay.

Right, write, wright.

Last edited:

This is nothing new. It's about spelling. I learned it in grade school and I'm in my 50s.

SAME WORD. Two different applications. Very common. NOT two different words.

SAME WORD. Two different applications. Very common. NOT two different words.
Two different words - same spelling, same pronunciation, different definitions.
Homonyms.

Are you really arguing that English is wrong?
Why not just acknowledge that you learned something today and finish the conversation with good grace?

It's not hard to understand.
A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but has a different meaning - they can be spelled differently.
A homonym is a word that is pronounced and spelled the same as another word but has a different meaning.

A homonym is a type of homophone.

Don't blame the education system...blame the English.

Homonym is "to", "too", and "too". It is also a homophone.

Homophone is "there", "their", and "they're"

to, too, two
The words to, too, two sound the same but have different meanings and spellings. Why do to, too, two sound the same even though they are completely different words?

The answer is simple: to, too, two are homophones of the English language.

Definition of homonym

1 a : HOMOPHONE the homonyms there and their
b : HOMOGRAPH The words lead, as in the metal, and lead, as in the verb, are homonyms.
c : one of two or more words spelled and pronounced alike but different in meaning (such as the noun quail and the verb quail)
Note how "lead" and "lead" are different words. As are "quail" and "quail." Because different meanings. The three meanings (or definitions) of "homonym" provided indicate three different words spelled and pronounced "homonym" which are homonyms. LOL

Last edited:

Well one brain cell, our county was Coronavirus free until a 25 year old woman from new York went to the clinic. all my family has practiced social distancing and hand washing. We are not a bunch of sheep that are either reckless or scared and we will get on with our lives. And just to add to your horror we took my 95 year old mother in law with us. I appreciate your heartfelt concern for my well-bein.

It was actually a 35 year old man from Washington State.

I hope your daughter and grand kids aren't asymptomatic carriers, otherwise you, your wife, and your mother-in-law may end up very sick, or dead.

New Topics

Forum List

Back