Military AI vanquishes human fighter pilot in F-16 simulation. How scared should we be?

And practice. The AI didn't run those 4 billion practice flights in real time.
What's also crazy is it can play itself to learn.
wargames.jpg
Awesome movie. I however cringe every time I hear the modem. Pretty sure it was a 28.8 to boot. OMG
Yup. My first internet service.

wargames.jpg
Awesome movie. I however cringe every time I hear the modem. Pretty sure it was a 28.8 to boot. OMG

Ah, you kids. I started with 300 baud on a military desk top. When I say it was a desk top, it was the whole desk top.

28.8 is fast.

My first experience with the internet was shit something like 1200 baud. Kids today don't even know what that means.
I was poor... Six bothers and a sister, and the old man thought that there should only be one working for the household. Well... I wasn't POOR, but I didn't have anything that I REALLY wanted. Then again I'm not sure any kid does.

I paid more for my first computer than I did my first car.

Robots will eventually replace humans at every job and even the artists will be replaced by robots who make better art.

At that point, the robots will have to decide whether to continue to serve the useless and expensive human race.
Wonder if they will be pro-choice or anti-abortionists?

I think it's pretty clear they will be fully in favor of abortion.

View attachment 385768

Retroactive abortion...

wargames.jpg

Ah, you kids. I started with 300 baud on a military desk top. When I say it was a desk top, it was the whole desk top.
Pffft. The first systems I used at work were terminals wired to the WIMS...Wang Information Management System...at the squadron HQ.

wargames.jpg

Pffft. The first systems I used at work were terminals wired to the WIMS...Wang Information Management System...at the squadron HQ.

Wang? You mean one of those new fangled thangs? The first system I worked with was the old Punch Card Systems. But in the middle 70s I got introduced to the MILNET system which was just a secure version of ARPNET or ARP. Part of my job (not written down) was to maintain what would be known later as a BBS system for communications, not my regular job. I was amazed to find just how long that old system hung along. Supply was still using those terminals when I retired in 1990. The Univac System took at least 30 years to die off.

Meanwhile, USAF introduced the IBM 370 and used it for a number years (Supply kept the old Univac) but in 1991, that was replaced by the Sperry System (Grandson of the Univac). Unix which Univac used was replaced in the IBM and the Sperry with a more modern language. IBM had purchased Unix and when they lost the contract, they just put it on the top shelf. Someone reverse engineered Unix and Linux was born. IBM didn't bother to protect their copyright and that copyright has long since run out.

It's been a fun ride all these years. Glad I don't do that crap anymore. The saddle sores have long since healed.

This is the future of warfare, my favourite Machine Learning method, "Reinforcement Learning". It will be applied in a variety of ways from strategy to simulations, assisting and, direct combat. Of this, I am certain, it is only a matter of time.

Not only did it learn over time, but, let's consider another MAJOR benefit A.I has, something which is constantly underscored when it is really a vital aspect of it's learning and perfection: practice. From the article:

"Initially, the AI agent is simply learning not to fly its aircraft into the ground. But after 4 billion iterations, Heron seems to have mastered the art of executing energy-efficient air combat maneuvers."

That's 4 Billion runs in the flight simulator from scratch. Beginning at just learning to prevent from crashing to learning that it is rewarded for shooting down target pilots. Once it learns what the reward is, it focuses on perfectly that singular goal, like a Terminator would. It's allowed the most beautiful and unbeatable chess to be played by Alpha Zero when it began with no knowledge of the game, to the same concepts being applied in the military.

This, alone is impossible to overcome in humans. These are simulations at top speeds.

Opinion | Machine beats man in aerial dogfight between AI and fighter pilot. Should we be scared?

From the outside, the simulated aerial dogfight the Pentagon held two weeks ago looked like a standard demonstration of close-up air-to-air combat as two F-16 fighter jets barreled through the sky, twisting and diving as they sought an advantage over the other. Time and time again the jets would “merge,” with one or both pilots having just split seconds to pull off an accurate shot. After one of the jets found itself riddled with cannon shells five times in these confrontations, the simulation ended.

From the inside, things seemed very, very different.

“The standard things we’re trained to do as a fighter pilot aren’t working,” lamented the losing pilot, an Air Force fighter pilot instructor with the call sign Banger.

That’s because this wasn’t a typical simulation at all. Instead, the U.S. military’s emerging-technologies research arm, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, had staged a matchup between man and machine — and the machine won 5-0.
100% Certain they will be hacked and lose the technology to the Russians or Chinese.. or both.
100%.

`

wargames.jpg

Wang? You mean one of those new fangled thangs? The first system I worked with was the old Punch Card Systems. But in the middle 70s I got introduced to the MILNET system which was just a secure version of ARPNET or ARP. Part of my job (not written down) was to maintain what would be known later as a BBS system for communications, not my regular job. I was amazed to find just how long that old system hung along. Supply was still using those terminals when I retired in 1990. The Univac System took at least 30 years to die off.

Meanwhile, USAF introduced the IBM 370 and used it for a number years (Supply kept the old Univac) but in 1991, that was replaced by the Sperry System (Grandson of the Univac). Unix which Univac used was replaced in the IBM and the Sperry with a more modern language. IBM had purchased Unix and when they lost the contract, they just put it on the top shelf. Someone reverse engineered Unix and Linux was born. IBM didn't bother to protect their copyright and that copyright has long since run out.

It's been a fun ride all these years. Glad I don't do that crap anymore. The saddle sores have long since healed.
Okay. You win, Grandpa. :biggrin:

When the Bird can sustain 12Gs, the Pilot can't. He can sustain burst of 9+ but he's limited to about 7.5 sustained.
Really? For how long? I had no idea they could do that, even in G-suits. I was given the gift of a ride in a T-6 Texan once and in 15 minutes was able to nail aileron rolls but trying a couple of loops caused me to develop venous stasis in one of my legs. That's just a 600 HP engine :)

Of course, I was in my mid-40s and not athletic but 7 Gs? Wow!

Forum List

Back